- A look at the 13 major quakes and tremors that have occurred in Ghana over the years
- The worst quake happened in June 1939 when 17 lives were lost and 133 people were injured
- The heavy tremor that occurred on 24 June is the latest after those recorded in 2019 and 2018
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
A quick look at the earthquakes and tremors that have been recorded in Ghana show the worst of them took place in June 1939 when many lives were lost.
YEN.com.gh compiled a list of the top 13 quakes on record sourced from Ghanaianmuseum.com.
1. The first earthquake recorded in Ghana was in 1615. The quake occurred in Elmina where a fortress was destroyed.
2. In 1636, an earthquake with a magnitude of 5.7 struck the country at Axim. Some miners were buried alive.
3. In 1862, another earthquake struck the country in Accra with a magnitude of 6.5. The quake killed three people and destroyed many structures.
READ ALSO: Mauro Morandi: Man who has lived alone on an island for 31 years
4. The most destructive earthquake that struck the then Gold Coast and caused a lot of damage and loss of life was the 22 June, 1939 earthquake. 17 people were killed and 133 people were injured. Its magnitude was 6.5 on the Richter scale.
More recent tremors that have been recorded occurred with a magnitude of more than 4.0:
5. 8 January, 1997
6. 14 February, 1997
7. 6 March, 1997
Following these, there were earth tremors with less than 4.0 magnitude:
READ ALSO: Lady graduates from Oxford & gets admission at Harvard; shares amazing story & photos
8. 24 March, 2018
9. 9 December, 2018
10. January 2019
11. February 2019
12. 2 March, 2019
13. The most recent earth tremor happened on 24 June at about 10:30 pm. It occurred three times in the space of 10 minutes with a magnitude of 4.2.
In another development by YEN.com.gh, a gentleman who has been paralysed for many years has taken a bold act of faith that has gone viral on social media by deciding to walk after praying to God.
The awe-inspiring video was sighted by YEN.com.gh on the Facebook handle of Abingo SLAY KING as it went viral and got thousands of reactions online.
In the video, the man who hitherto had spent many years in the wheelchair said he prayed to Jesus that he would be able to walk again before his birthday on 23 June.
Enjoy reading our stories? Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news!
"Ghanaian women don't wear underwear lately" - Market woman speaks out
Get interactive via our Facebook page.