- Eighteen world new billionaires have made the 2020 list of Forbes 400 rich people on earth
- Most of the new wealthy men made their money from equity
- Eric Yuan, the CEO of Zoom, topped the newcomers with a net worth of $11 million
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, there are people who are still making it big. The 2020 Forbes list of 400 billionaires proved that as it has new 18 rich people on the list.
According to Forbes, the fortunes of these crop of new money range from videoconferencing to equity and electric vehicles.
It should be noted that the minimum requirement to make the list is $2.1 billion, meaning that is the least net worth of the newcomers.
The same media also noted that some of them are self-made and that the COVID-19 outbreak helped people like Eric Yuan, the CEO of Zoom call, and Alice Schwartz, whose company Bio-Rad produces coronavirus diagnostic tests.
Billionaires also came from the manufacturing and food production sectors. Sheldon Lavin is the head of OSI Group, one of the biggest meat and food processors in the world. McDonald's is one of his clients.
In the same year, Trevor Milton, the founder of electric truck maker Nikola, had his wealth increased to $3.3 billion. He is also the youngest on the list of newcomers at age 38.
Below is, therefore, the full list of the 18 new billionaires and their net worth:
- Eric Yuan & family ($11 billion)
- Sami Mnaymneh ($4 billion)
- Tony Tamer ($4 billion)
- Trevor Milton ($3.3 billion)
- Ken Xie ($3.3 billion)
- Barry Sternlicht ($3.2 billion)
- Steven Klinsky ($3.1 billion)
- Sheldon Lavin ($3 billion)
- Pablo Legorreta ($2.8 billion)
- Todd Wanek ($2.8 billion)
- Jeff Green ($2.6 billion)
- Jim Koch ($2.6 billion)
- Rodney Sacks ($2.5 billion)
- Valentin Gapontsev & family ($2.3 billion)
- Jim McKelvey ($2.2 billion)
- Alice Schwartz ($2.2 billion)
- José E. Feliciano ($2.1 billion)
- William Stone ($2.1 billion)
Meanwhile, it was also reported that Joseph Awinongya Jr, a 13-year-old Ghanaian boxer who is resident in the United States of America keeps making Ghana proud with his relentless successes.
According to a news report sighted by YEN.com.gh on Ghanaweb.com, Joseph has won a total of 13 great national titles in the U.S.A with boxing.
He won the Silver Gloves National Championship three times, St. Louis National Championship two times, Jr Olympic National Championship two times, Wisconsin National Championship two times and the USA National Championship.
Enjoy reading our stories? Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news!
John Mahama's emotional moment on stage at the NDC's manifesto launch | #Yencomgh
Share your stories and news by getting interactive on our Facebook page!