- Over 20 shops at the Kumasi Central Market were razed down with several properties getting destroyed in the process
- The fire incident happened on Sunday, April 18, 2021, at about 8:00 pm
- The cause of the fire is not yet known
OUR MANIFESTO: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
On Sunday, April 18, 2021, over 20 shops at the Kumasi Central Market were razed down with several properties getting destroyed in the process.
According to a CitiNews report, the fire spread through shops operated by cobblers at the market at about 8:00pm last night.
Due to the nature of the fire, firefighters spent several hours trying to bring the situation under control.
YEN.com.gh is not yet privy to the cause of the fire as that has not yet been established yet by the Ghana National Fire Service.
An eyewitness at the scene of the incident said he was asleep when he heard of the fire outbreak at the Kumasi Central market. "I rushed to the market only to find out it was true," he added
He added that he was desperate to bring the fire under control but did not really ask what exactly caused the fire.
The Ashanti Regional Deputy Commander of the Ghana National Fire Service, ACFO Henry Giwah, said they faced challenges trying to access the scene of the fire.
“...when the fire service arrived, they saw that the whole place had been engulfed by the fire, affecting about 27 shops. So they tried to confine it so that it would not spread further. Accessibility is always a problem here. It’s a big problem."
ACFO Giwah said because the fire was in the area of the shoemakers, the leather and turpentine products caused the fire to reignite when the fire is put out.
The last time a fire incident was recorded at the Kumasi Central Market was on July 30, 2020.
In other news, news from the Ghana Health Service (GHS) has revealed that about 345 schools have recorded cases of COVID-19 since reopening.
The GHS statistics indicated that the Volta region is leading the chart after recording the highest number of cases since the re-opening of schools.
Speaking at a press briefing on Sunday, April 18, 2021, the Director-General of the Ghana Health Service, Dr. Patrick Kuma-Aboagye said all the students who contracted the virus have recovered.
Enjoy reading our stories? Join YEN.com.gh's Telegram channel! Never miss important updates
Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news.