- The Ghana Health Service has revealed that about 345 schools have recorded cases of COVID-19 since reopening
- The Director-General of the Ghana Health Service, Dr. Patrick Kuma-Aboagye said all the students who contracted the virus have recovered
- He added that the active cases among students is just about 13
OUR MANIFESTO: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
News from the Ghana Health Service (GHS) has revealed that about 345 schools have recorded cases of COVID-19 since reopening.
The GHS statistics indicated that the Volta region is leading the chart after recording the highest number of cases since the re-opening of schools.
Speaking at a press briefing on Sunday, April 18, 2021, the Director-General of the Ghana Health Service, Dr. Patrick Kuma-Aboagye said all the students who contracted the virus have recovered.
He added that the number of active cases among students is just about 13.
According to him, the second dose of the vaccination will soon commence as the government awaits the second consignment by the end of May 2021.
Schools were reopened in January 2021, after President Akufo-Addo announced in one of his many COVID-19 addresses that it was safe to do so through various stakeholder consultations.
He mentioned that the reopening of schools came on the condition that students and staff of the various educational institutions adhered to the various safety protocols.
“The lessons drawn from reopening of some sections of our educational institutions in the course of last year have put us in a much better position to oversee successfully the full reopening of our schools. Our children must go to school, albeit safely and we are satisfied that in the current circumstances, the reopening of our schools is safe,” he said in an address to the nation.
In other news, a 23-year-old man has been denied admission into three Ghanaian secondary schools because “he is an ex-convict.”
Abu Sufiano Yahya was sentenced to 12 years in prison in 2016 for snatching a woman’s handbag in Kumasi in the Ashanti Region.
Yahya’s incarceration would not stop him from seeking education. Taught by colleague inmates and wardens, he sat the BECE exams and passed with an aggregate of 16.
Luck smiled on Yahya and he won his appeal and was released from prison in December last year. According to Crime Check TV GH, with the ambition to become a nurse, Yahya sought admission into Ghanaian secondary schools to further his education.
He was, however, refused admission because he was an ex-convict.
Sharing Yahya’s disturbing story on Facebook, Crime Check TV GH wrote: "Sadly, Yahya whose ambition is to become a nurse claims three secondary schools have refused him admission after realizing he is an ex-convict.”
Enjoy reading our stories? Join YEN.com.gh's Telegram channel! Never miss important updates
Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news.