Abelmoschus esculentus is the scientific name of okro. Okro is one of the most consumed vegetable in Ghana. The climatic conditions in Ghana favor the growth of the plant. For centuries, our fore fathers used Okra in making all types of soups and Okra stews and the tradition has lived on.
Okro Stew Ghana Recipe
Okra has gained popularity not only in Ghana, and has become a necessity in most homes. African okra stew recipe is known widely since it uses simple methods and the ingredients are readily available. Most people crave viscous Okro stew and Sodium Bicarbonate may be a suitable ingredient to make the stew slimy.
Okro Stew Ingredients
- 1 pond Okro sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- 4 slices of bacon
- ½ cup palm oil
- Pinch of salt and black pepper for taste
Okro Stew Preparation
- In a hot pan on medium heat, pour ½ cup palm oil. Add the bacon. Fry evenly until it turns crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside.
- Place the chopped onions in the pan. Stir until they turn soft for about 2 minutes.
- Place the diced tomatoes in the pan. Stir evenly until a thick paste begins to form.
- Add the okro to the pan. Continue to stir evenly until a paste is formed.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with banku or any other food of your preference.
Okro Soup Recipe Ghana.
Okra soup can be cooked with Fish, Seafood, meat or poultry. I love meat and hence the recipe below incorporates meat in making the nutritious traditional dish.
READ ALSO How to prepare garden egg stew in Ghana
Okro Soup Ingredients
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 chili peppers
- ½ kg meat boiled
- 2 cloves of ginger and garlic crushed
- 1/2 pound Okro sliced
- ½ pound Okro grated
- Salt to taste
- In a hot pan, pour ½ cup of olive oil. Add the onions and stir until they are soft and tender
- Add the paste of the grounder garlic and ginger. Also add the chili peppers. Stir the mixture until it softens.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the mixture and stir gently. Cover the pan and let the mixture simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add the boiled meat to the mixture. Stir until the paste coats all the meat.
- Add the okro and stir the pot to ensure even distribution of the okro.
- Add ½ cup of water to make the soup thick. Do not overcook the okro.
- Serve while still hot.
Okro stew calories are usually low hence suitable for people with cholesterol and heart problems. It also contains essential vitamins including vitamin K which is essential for strong bone formation. Okro stew cuts down blood sugar levels in the body hence fit for people with diabetes. The stew also has anti-oxidants which help in improving vision and gives your skin a fresh and healthy look. It has a fiber content hence helps prevent constipation.
Okro reduces the risk of a wide range of health complications including diabetes, and skin diseases. Currently, the okro seeds are being harnessed to produce oil. The oil can be used for various functions at home such as cooking and as beauty products.
READ ALSO Top 10 Ghanaian Food Recipes That Will Make You Proud Of Your Heritage