The Ewes are known to be one of the unique groups of people in Ghana. Talk of great cultural heritage and excellence in all things, you cannot take the Ewes out.
But trust Ghanaians, no matter how excellent you are, we will find a way to make fun of you.
One of the things the Ewes get teased with is their often heavy-on-the-tongue names.
Ewe kids who schooled in non-Ewe speaking areas will attest to this. They often get teased for no other reason than their names being difficult to pronounce.
READ ALSO: Owusu Bempah breaks silence on video of his wife 'drinking akpeteshie'
One thing those who do the teasing seem to forget is the fact that the Ewe people are one of the very few tribal groupings with meaningful names.
But you cannot really blame them. They just do not know what those names are about.
If only they knew the sweet meanings of these tongue-twisting names, maybe, they would think twice about laughing at the people carrying such names.
Now you are curious to know the meanings of these names. Check out YEN.com.gh's list of tongue-twisting Ewe names with interesting meanings.
READ ALSO: REVEALED: Kumawood actress Maame Serwaa has a boyfriend she's going to marry
1. Agbemabiase - Life can't question destiny
2. Butsormekpor - Think of tomorrow and see
3. Desiadenyo - All is good
4. Dziedzorm - I am happy
5. Dzorgbenyui - Good luck
6. Egavakpor - Not sure if will stay (born after lost babies/chn)
7. Elikplim - He (God) is with me
8. Exornam - He (God) has saved/rescued me
9. Ganyebusu - Money is evil
10. Mawuworge - God will do it
11. Morkporkpor - Hope
12. Tsikpo - Water fountain
13. Tsoekewo - Forgive them
14. Xoese - Believe
15. Yra - Bless
READ ALSO: Resting place for Ebony finally announced with other details
However, not all Ewe names are tongue-twisting as there are equally straightforward ones which are as popular as many other Ghanaian names.
1. Agbenyo - Life is good (NDC's Fred Agbenyo comes to mind)
2. Agbesi - In the hands of life (Alfred Agbesi Woyome comes to mind)
3. Agbeko - If only there is life (Joseph Agbeko, the boxer, comes to mind)
4. Amewu/Amewuga - Human is more precious than money (made popular by Lands and Forestry Minister, John Peter Amewu)
5. Edem - He (God) has saved/delivered me (Edem, the rapper, comes to mind)
6. Emefa - It is calm
7. Gavivina - Money is sweet (made popular by the actor Gavivina Tamakloe)
8. Kafui - Praise Him (God)
9. Fafa - Peace/Calmness
10. Mawusi - In God's hands
11. Mawuli - God lives
READ ALSO: Some people are planning to 'assassinate' Akufo-Addo - Owusu Bempah
But, it must be noted, there are some Ewe names which have meanings but cannot be translated into English. While the English language has 26 alphabets, Ewes write with 30. Some characters therefore have no English meanings.
Names like, Xoglimakadu, Vivormadzigbe, Sakumadranyi, Elegbadzadzi, Amedoamegbo, Ekudeamenu, and common names like Banini and Tamakloe are but a few of the not translatable Ewe names.
But for the most part, Ewe names have beautiful meanings behind them.
The trick is, if you see any name with 'Mawu' in it, remember that it has something to do with God. Names with 'Agbe' talk about 'Life'; 'Dela' talks about 'Saviour'; 'Se' talks about "Life/Fate/Destiny" and almost all the names starting with "E" refer to God in the third person pronoun form.
So there you have your guide to Ewe names. Hope you do not ago about teasing people now you know the ideas behind their names.
Meet emerging music star Kobla Jnr on Star Gist with YEN.com.gh:
We are looking for unique stories and photos about developments happening in your area.
Get in touch with YEN on Facebook or Instagram.