The high demand for doctors by Ghana’s population has led to the establishment of medical schools like Accra College of Medicine. The establishment of medical schools in Ghana began in 1975 after the establishment of the School of Medical Sciences in KNUST. In 2006, the University for Development Studies (UDS) School of Health Sciences was developed. In 2009, the University of Cape Coast also set up a medical school. The principal aim of setting up these medical schools was to train doctors and nurses to handle health issues. Therefore, if you are thinking of joining one of the medical schools, then Accra College of Medicine should be your choice. Below is a detailed information about Accra College of Medicine courses, fees, and entry requirements.
Accra College of Medicine is among the prestigious medical schools in Ghana. It is a world-class facility. The location of Accra College of Medicine is Rose Avenue, East Legon, Accra, Ghana. It has invested in technology and the implementation of innovative and practical learning aids that provide the students with an opportunity to have a first-hand experience of advanced medical practices. This is significant in dealing with a broad diversity of diseases and patients. Accra College of Medicine courses are designed in a manner that the teaching staff is motivated to educate and teach a new generation of healthcare professionals.
READ ALSO: Valley View University distance learning programs
About Accra College of Medicine
The Accra College of Medicine (“ACM”) was established in 2013 with the primary aim of providing cutting-edge medical education in Ghana. The institution offers world-class training in medicine. It is also research-oriented and is concerned about solving health problems in Ghana and other parts of Africa. Medical professionals from the institution are passionate about the community. This explains the approach used by the college to solve health problems. The primary aim of the college is to train medical practitioners who will be competent. The trainees are trained to be ethical, innovative and great educators on matters of health and wellness. They are also meant to be scientists who are committed to making a difference in society.
The Accra College of Medicine is different from other medical schools because it provides its students with a collaborative learning experience which is driven by the critical value of "Heart-Power." We train our students to prioritize the needs of the patients to improve customer experience.
READ ALSO: Anglican University College of Technology courses and admission requirements
Accra College of Medicine programs
Courses offered at Accra College of Medicine are categorized into:
- Preclinical science courses
- Clinical Science courses
- Elective Courses
Preclinical science courses
Preclinical science courses are compulsory. They include:
- Applied Chemistry
- Applied Physics
- Human Biology
- Mathematics and Statistics in Medicine
- Creative and Critical thinking
- Learning methodology
- Scientific & Academic writing
- Communication Skills
- Medicine, Patients, and Society
- History of Western Medicine in Ghana
- Early Development of the human cells, genes, and molecules
- Cardio-respiratory system
- Endocrinology & Reproduction
- Gastro-intestinal & Hepatobiliary system
- Genito-urinary system
- Skin & Locomotor system
- Brain and Mind
- Haematopoietic & Lymphatic System
- The Medical Entrepreneur
- Medical Ethics and Professionalism
Clinical Science courses
Clinical Science courses provide the students with an opportunity to understand the aspects of patient-centred care and clinical practice. The courses offered to the students during the period are divided into three major areas:
- Clinical Care
- Community Care
- Ethics, Physicianship, Heart Power and Professionalism
The courses for the three clinical sciences are:
- Introduction to clinical practice
- General surgery
- Child health
- Women’s health
- General medicine
The elective courses would be taken during the long inter-semester breaks (between the end of one academic year and the next four (4) weeks). These elective courses are divided into three groups. You will be expected to choose one course from each group during the period.
Group I: The Medical Humanities
- Musical instruments
- Spirituality, Health, and Healing
- Medicine and Literature
- Medicine and Developmental Economics
Group II: Modern Languages
- Spoken Medical French
- Spoken Ghanaian languages (for Ghanaians; the choice will be one that is not their mother tongue).
Group III: Community Service
- Each group of students or a single student is expected to choose a community to offer voluntary service to; a service that will uplift the community.
Accra College of Medicine fees
Below is a schedule showing fees of Accra College of Medicine which should be paid by each student for the academic year 2018/2019.
The above fees schedule have the total amount that both Ghanaian and international students are expected to pay for both postgraduate and undergraduate programmes. The institute has a right to change the fees without first notifying the students. However, the changes should be approved by the governing council before they are implemented. You should note that all students are required to have a medical insurance.
Accra College of Medicine entry requirements
There are two entry opportunities to the Accra College of Medicine for both postgraduate and undergraduate students. Below are the entry requirements for Accra College of Medicine.
Undergraduate entry requirements
Accra College of Medicine aims at providing the highest quality of medical education in Ghana as well as in other parts of Africa. The institution targets high performing students with a science background from senior high school. The students should have a desire to pursue a programme in medicine. Foreign students who want to pursue a programme in medicine are also welcome to apply.
You can, therefore, apply for admission if you meet the following qualifications:
- Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSSCE/WASSSCE)
- Baccalaureate (French)
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
- GCE (Cambridge) ‘O’ and ‘A’ Levels
- IGCSE (Cambridge) ‘O’ and ‘A’ levels
- American High School Grade – Grade 12 and 13 examinations
- Other external qualifications which have equivalences to the SSSCE/WASSCE as determined by the National Accreditation Board will be considered.
You should also have obtained an average of 12 or more points in six subjects in the WASSCE/SSSCE examinations. You need to have passed the core subjects Mathematics, English, Integrated Science, and Social Studies as well as three elective subjects (Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Elective Mathematics).
- If you satisfy the general requirements for admission under the “A” Level of the G.C.E. or the equivalence in Science (Chemistry, Physics, and Biology/Mathematics) with an average of 7 according to the University of Ghana, you can also apply for admission.
You should understand that all undergraduates will enter at Level 100 (first year) of the programme.
Graduate entry requirements
Accra College of Medicine provides degree holders with the same opportunity as undergraduate students to pursue medicine at the graduate level. The degree holders should have the necessary qualifications to be considered for admission. You should have a good first degree (minimum of a second class upper) in a science related course.
You will also be considered for admission if you have good qualifications in liberal arts and you have taken a university-level science course. You should also pass an entrance examination and an interview.
The following student background will determine the level of acceptance:
- Graduate students with a background in any science discipline will enter at level 200 (the second year) of ACM. He or she will, however, still have to take selected Level 100 (first year) compulsory courses.
- “Liberal arts” graduates as defined above will enter at level 100 (first year).
Entry requirements for all applicants
- All applicants will be required to pass an entrance test and interviews before being given admission. The interview will confirm the students' level of admission including other exempted requirements. Representatives from the institution will be present on the interview panel.
- All the applicants should be computer-literate and understand how to use tablets, search engines, how to access internet databases and have an ability to communicate through e-mail and other electronic media.
How to apply
Local applicants can choose to apply onsite or online:
If you want to make the onsite application you should:
- Visit the campus at East Legon. Pay the application fee and pick up an application form.
- You should then fill the form with the required details and attach copies of all documents requested.
- Submit the completed form at the campus.
- Wait for a call from the college to schedule the date for the entrance exam and interview.
If you decide to make an online application, you need to make payment for the application form at any Zenith Bank using the following details;
Account Name: Accra College of Medicine
Account Number: 6011208587
Branch: Labone branch
Then, follow the following procedure to apply:
- Find the application form on the website.
- Open it and fill in the all the details.
- Upload all the required documents and receipt of fees as evidence of payment.
- After filling the form and attaching the required documents, submit it online.
The institution will verify your application and communicate the date for entrance exam and interview.
Note that the application fee and entrance exam fees are as given below.
GHS 300.00 for the application fee.
GHS 500.00 for the entrance exam and interview fee.
Foreign applicants should make payment for the application form using the account below and follow the same online application procedure given above:
Account Name: Accra College of Medicine
Account Number: 6041208272
Bank Name: Zenith Bank Ghana Limited
SWIFT Code: ZEBLGHAC
Sort Code: 120108
Telephone +233 303 961 788/303 967477
Accra College of Medicine is the best Universities for you to achieve your dream of becoming a medical doctor. The institution provides quality education and training to its students in order to improve health care in the community. Enrol today to get the best training ever in matters of health and medicine.
READ ALSO: Catholic University College of Ghana fees and programs offered