Part of God's desire and design for every of His children is to enjoy wealth. Throughout the Scripture, God's blessings were often pronounced on everyone, and that is because His blessing is the ultimate. However, when you understand that it is the blessing of the Lord that can enrich you and take you to your desired position, many of your fruitless struggles will seize. In fact, all effort to accumulate wealth, especially in corrupt or dubious ways, will be totally eliminated. That is because you have come to understand that your assignment is not to work things out in your own way but to follow biblical principles that guarantee and release God's blessings upon you.
If there is anything God wants you to have, among others, is prosperity. This is proven scripturally because 3John 3 says "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." If you also go through Psalm 35:27, you will discover that God takes pleasure in your goodness. He is proud when you are able to show forth His glory to the world. God's blessing is packed up in the Bible. Truly, another name that we could give to the Bible is the book of God's blessings.
You see that God began to bless us right from the beginning of creation. In Genesis 1:28, the Scripture says "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth." After God made mankind, the next thing He did was to pronounce the blessing. So, the simple truth is that God wants you blessed!
"The blessing of the Lord" verse
The blessing of the Lord is a scriptural verse that explains the implication of what it means to be blessed by God. Taken from Proverb 10:22, it is a verse that answers a lot of questions in our daily living as we shall find out later on in this article. However, before then, below is a compilation of different translations of the "The blessing of the Lord" bible verses. Note that the essence of this is to give you a deeper understanding of what the Scripture means by this verse.
- "The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it". King James Bible
- "It is the blessing of the LORD that makes rich, And He adds no sorrow to it". New American Standard Bible
- "The blessing of the LORD makes a person rich, and he adds no sorrow with it". New Living Translation
- "The blessing of the LORD establishes wealth, and difficulty does not accompany it". International Standard Version
- "The blessing of the Lord is upon the head of the righteous; it enriches him, and grief of heart shall not be added to it". Brenton Septuagint Translation
- "The blessing of Jehovah -- it maketh rich, And He addeth no grief with it". Young's Literal Translation
- "The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, And toil addeth nothing thereto". JPS Tanakh 1917
Beloved, your utmost pursuit should be how to get God's blessing for your enrichment. Enough of struggles. Enough of trying to make things work. Enough of stress, pains and disappointments. God didn't design your life to be like that. He planned for you to enjoy life and to do so with utmost fulfilment. The truth is when we suffer, God feels pain. You know why? That was not His intention for us at the time He created us. From that Genesis 1:28 quoted above, His plan has always been that we would be fruitful, multiply and be in charge of all. However, to enjoy God's blessing, I think it is important to understand what the blessing is. So, let's dig further a little.
"The blessing of the Lord" meaning
It is unfortunate that a lot of people have taken blessing to be in terms of material acquisition like when you have more money in your bank account, you increase your cars, build more houses and so on. Well, while God's blessing can reflect in those areas, you must understand that that is not what God's blessing is all about. There is more to this blessing that we are talking about other than physical materials. While apostle Paul was writing to the Ephesian church, he said “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ.” (Ephesians 1:3) Did you notice that he mentioned "every spiritual blessing?" I think that should suggest something to you: God's blessing is not necessarily physical.
Based on the Bible, there are various words that have been translated as “blessing” or “bless”. Although, the Hebrew word that is most often translated as “bless” is "Barak". "Barak" means to "praise", "congratulate", or "salute". Some times, it can be used to mean "a curse". There are other words that are translated "blessing" as well. Examples of such include "esher" which is translated as "happiness", "Makarios" used in the New Testament also mean "happiness". An example of the usage of "esher" is found in Job 5:17 where it reads, “Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.” Then, a much-pronounced passage where "Makarios" was used often are The Beatitudes of Matthew 5 and Luke 6.
Having explained all of those, we can then draw an inference by combining everything together. So, while blessing can be explained to mean a declaration of good will and happiness spoken about someone, the blessing of the Lord can mean a declaration of God's joy, grace, mercy and favour upon a man. Based on this, it means that when a man is blessed of God, he enjoys favour, peace, love, prosperity, divine health and every good thing that life has got to offer. And then, this blessing of God can then reflect in the material things that you get. Things like promotion, acquisition a car(s), building of a house(s) and so on are only indications of a blessed life.
"The blessing of the Lord" sermon
Often times we think we can make it by our own power without the involvement of God. With this, we forget the fact that "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning", James 1:17 (KJV). The difference between what the world gives you and what God gives you is that while that of the world comes with sorrow and pain, whatever comes from God will always be good and perfect. By perfect, it means it is complete and you don't have to worry yourself an inch about how to possibly make it better. It is a complete package delivered to you for an utmost enjoyment.
Once you understand this, then your pursuit and orientation should change. From the passage of discourse, it reads: The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it. Take note of that verse very well, it says "The blessing of the LORD", and not the blessing of a man or the strength of a man. What you need to enjoy life is never going to be based on your ability but God's ability. It is never going to be based on your own account but on God's account. What you need is not necessarily your effort but God's blessing. But does that mean you should not do anything other than fold your arms while you wait for God's blessing to come? No, that's not what I am saying. It is God's blessing upon what you do that guarantees your success in life.
Consider the life of Abraham, a man who was richly blessed by God. In Genesis chapter 12, we are told of how he obeyed God's instruction based on the encounter he had earlier with God. He left his family and moved out to a land that he did not know about. And while he was obeying, God promised to bless and multiply him. The effect of God's blessing upon him is recorded in chapter 13 of Genesis. Verse 2 of that passage says "And Abram was very rich in cattle, in silver, and in gold". The point is this: when the blessing of God comes upon you, your prosperity is inevitable. Once you are blessed by Him, nothing can withstand or withhold your greatness. This is because God Himself is involved.
It is also important that you get this fact clear which is God's blessing is never limited to material acquisition. No. God's blessing cuts across every area of your life. Looking at it based on material things is limiting the potency of His blessing. When God's blessing comes upon you, your health will benefit from it; your family will enjoy it and even your business/career will also feel the impact. God's blessing is all-round. It does not impart a part of you and then leave out the other areas; it cuts across everything that is named after you. The beautiful thing about it all is that when the blessing of the Lord comes upon you, you end up as the envy of everyone around you.
However, while you should not forget that God has determined to bless you, yet the blessing is never automatic; there are steps you must take to ever qualify and enjoy it. When you know the "how-to" and you are willing to do them, then nothing can ever stop you from enjoying that blessing. Therefore, let us discuss the steps that you must take to enjoy this blessing.
- You must have a working relationship with God (Isaiah 51:1-2). God does not like those who only come to Him because of what they want to get from Him. He feels joy when He sees people who just want to be with Him not minding what they get or don't get. And guess what? These people enjoy the blessing more.
- Seek for platforms to promote His kingdom (Matthew 6:33). When you find joy doing things that are the most important to God, He, in turn, gives you things that will bring you joy as well. To get God's favour, you must take pleasure in the things of His kingdom.
- Don't associate with evil workers (Psalm 1:1). There is an automatic blessing upon those who do not associate with evil doers. Anyone whose lifestyle does not align with God's word should not be your friend.
- Trust God by faith (Hebrew 11:6). Your faith is important to enjoy the blessing of the Lord.
- Love the Lord with the whole of your heart (Deuteronomy 6:5). When God sees your sincerity of heart that you love Him, He becomes committed to you with everything that He has. And remember that one of the ways to show that you really love Him is when you put Him first in everything that you do.
Below are some beautiful quotes that express the blessing of the Lord. Hope you get blessed as you read through them.
The blessing of the Lord quotes
- I'm just thankful for everything, all the blessings in my life, trying to stay that way. I think that's the best way to start your day and finish your day. It keeps everything in perspective. - Tim Tebow
- If you tell God no because He won't explain the reason He wants you to do something, you are actually hindering His blessing. But when you say yes to Him, all of heaven opens to pour out His goodness and reward your obedience. What matters more than material blessings are the things He is teaching us in our spirit. - Charles Stanley
- I'm most proud of the blessings that God has bestowed upon me, in my life. He's given me the vision to truly see that you can fall down, but you can still get back up. Hopefully I'll learn from my mistakes and have the opportunity to strengthen and improve the next thing I do. - Martin Lawrence
- I absolutely believe in the power of tithing and giving back. My own experience about all the blessings I've had in my life is that the more I give away, the more that comes back. That is the way life works, and that is the way energy works. - Ken Blanchard
- Those who are faithful to God are protected and prospered. That comes as the result of serving God and keeping His commandments. But with those blessings comes the temptation to forget their source. It is easy to begin to feel the blessings were granted not by a loving God on whom we depend but by our own powers. - Henry B. Eyring
- Praise God, from whom all blessings flow! Praise Him, all creatures here below! Praise Him above, ye heavenly host! Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! - Thomas Ken
- Each time we cooperate with God, we take one more giant step forward. Because when God asks us to change, it means that He always has something better to give us - more freedom, greater joy, and greater blessings. - Joyce Meyer
- To receive all of the promised blessings, we must accept the gospel in faith and in full. However, this certain faith does not usually come all at once. We learn spiritually line upon line and precept upon precept. - James E. Faust
So far, we have established the fact that the blessing of the Lord is all that we need in our life, and that when this blessing comes, it affects every part of us. Then how far we will go in life and how well we will enjoy the life that God ordained for us is, partly, determined by how much of this blessing that operates in our lives. Most importantly, while the blessing does not come automatically, we must follow scriptural principles to enjoy them.