The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ghana is a government institution that is charged with the responsibility of ensuring that the country's foreign relations are in order. It was introduced in 1957 with Dr Kwame Nkrumah serving as the first foreign Affairs Minister.
The docket is made up of fifty diplomatic headquarters, five consular missions, and three subverted organizations – Legon Centre for International Affairs and Diplomacy (LECIAD), All African Students Union (AASU) as well as the National African Peer Review Mechanism Governing Council (NAPRM-GC). It is regarded as the government’s chief adviser when it comes to policy formulation concerning foreign matters.
Understanding the Ministry of foreign affairs Ghana
The ministry carries out its duties in the minister’s, deputy minister as well as the chief director’s offices. Directors working in the ministry deliver their reports on planning, tracking and assessing of the policy; finance; passports; Administration; Legal and Consular affairs; Protocol; public affairs; Regional Integration and Africa; internal audit; Information Communication Technology and Multilateral Relations.
The African Affairs Secretariat was established by the first minister to foster unity in Africa and this was later joined to this ministry.
The ministry looks forward to having enough resources to establish, develop and maintain global goodwill, raise the national interest as well as solidarity.
READ ALSO: Ghana Facebook users demand from US Embassy to treat visa applicants with dignity
The mission is to encourage and protect the country’s interest as well as advising the Government on the steps to take concerning the international functions as stated in the country’s constitution in 1992.
It is the responsibility of the ministry to uphold the integrity of the country, protect the citizens, promote peace and unity, ensure nationals are secure, nurture a good Ghana image outside as well as protect the image.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ghana passport
Passports in Ghana are only issued by Foreign Affairs Ministry. Citizens are the only people eligible for this priviledge, as long as it meets the nationality law. This document coupled with visa allows Ghanaians to travel the world. The types of passport booklets include diplomatic, contemporary and service passports.
The passport application office is always open from 1000 hours to 1300 hours on Mondays. The applicants should be citizens of Ghana. Below are some guidelines to note on passport application process;
- Complete and submit application form at the Embassy on the say day.
- You must have paid the application processing fee first.
- Submit four passport sized photographs that are under 3 months old.
- Carry your original as well as the photocopy of your birth certificate for confirmation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration officials in Accra. You also need to submit an affidavit.
- To replace a lost passport through an official application, one must submit an attached report from the police (written in English) together with the already mentioned requirements.
- In case you are dealing with a damaged passport that needs to be replaced, then consider attaching copies of the damaged passport to your application form.
Passport application for the minors
The following are the requirements for the minor;
- Child’s Birth certificate
- Ghana passport of one of the parents
- Consent letter signed by the parents of the child (the form is available at Consular section and it costs €25)
- Application processing fee of €90
Renewal of the passports
Here are the requirements one needs to have when renewing their passports;
- Applicants should complete the Application form for the passport at the Embassy with a fee of €25
- Four passport size photographs should accompany the application and these should not be three months old.
- Old passports should be attached to the application and the processing fee of €90.00 paid.
- The processing period takes like eight weeks.
Applications should be submitted in person at the consular section office and this does not exclude the children. The payments should be completed using the debit card. Remember to be issued a receipt for any sort of payments made.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ghana passport office is located at Akersgata 1 (5th floor) 0158 Oslo
Applications for the passports can be made online and these are processed at Accra PAC, Premium PAC (Kumasi and Accra), Koforidua PAC and Tema PAC. Having all the documents required for the application, you should stick to the application guidelines. All application options are available either first time, renewal or replacement.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ghana recruitment
The Ministry puts up its vacant jobs on the website and any interested individual can access the website. Those interested and qualify for the positions submit their applications that comprise; curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates as well as their referees.
All applicants need to meet all the laid down requirements, needed attributes as well as experiential necessities. Applications are accepted once the suitable candidate matches all the laid down requirements. Before then, applicants need to submit their details to:
- The Director of Administration
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration
- Flagstaff House
Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ghana scholarships
The ministry offers scholarships through the Secretariat and these are covered by the Foreign tertiary. It is possible upon the Bilateral Cooperation Agreement between the Ghanaian government and the government of the country awarding the scholarship. These countries include Russia, Hungary, Algeria, Morocco, China, German Government Doctoral Programme (DAAD).
- Once the ministry receives the scholarships, it administers them to the citizen
- Before the allocation, these scholarships are first publicized on the website as well as on various national newspapers
- Receiving and processing the applications of the eligible candidates
- Interviewing and selecting the applicants
- Submitting the selected candidates to the awarding countries for consideration
Ensuring communication with successful applicants.
Agencies under Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ghana
Several agencies that work under this ministry to make it stand and continue running the external matters of the country. These agencies include;
- The passport office
- The protocol office
- Legal and Consular Section
- Diaspora Section
Contacts of the ministry
To contact Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ghana. You can visit the offices in case of face time requirements. Alternatively, you can send an email or call the office to talk to one of the customer support team assistants. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ghana location is as given below.
- Physical address: Flat 5 Agostinho Neto Rd, Liberation Avenue,
- Airport residential area,
- Accra, Ghana
- GPS address: GA-057-0036
- Post office: P.O box M53, Accra
- Telephone: +233 30 299 9604 / +233 30 2738 473
- Fax: 233 21 680 017
- Twitter: @GhanaMFA
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
- Website: www.mfa.gov.gh
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ghana is a very important department in the country because, without it, the country will be incapacitated in executing foreign activities. The lives of Ghanaians have been made easier with the availability of the ministry hence the application of the passports.
- Free scholarship for Ghanaian students to study abroad 2018-2019
- List of embassies in Ghana
- Petra Trust Ghana fund, portal, login, branches