Election petition: Supreme Court cites Dominic Ayine for contempt over
- Dr. Dominic Ayine would likely be served with the process today, YEN.com.gh understands
- He had stated already that he would not be surprised if he was punished for his comment
- That notwithstanding, he said he did not mean to intentionally disparage the bench
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
The Supreme Court has begun contempt proceedings against former Deputy Attorney General, Dr. Dominic Ayine.
This follows his accusations that the court had a “predetermined agenda” against the former president, John Dramani Mahama, the petitioner in the ongoing election petition trial.
Dr. Ayine, a member of the former president’s legal team said he would not be surprised if he was held for contempt.
“I won’t begrudge them,” the former Deputy Attorney General told an Accra-based Radio Station.
He would likely be served with the process today, Thursday, February 18, 2021, and subsequently invited to answer to the court why he should not be convicted, Asaase Radio reports.
In other news on YEN.com.gh, Minister-designate for Fisheries, Mavis Hawa Koomson, said she regretted her gun shooting incident during the voter’s registration exercise in Kasoa.
“I wish it never happened in our political history,” the former Special Development Initiative Minister told the Appointments Committee of Parliament on Thursday, February 18, 2021.
The Awutu Senya East Member of Parliament openly admitted to firing a warning shot at the Step to Christ registration centre in the Awutu Senya East constituency in July 2020.
Four men were detained at the Central Regional police headquarters following the shooting incident.
Registration at the centre was halted after an armed gang sacked some prospective voters from the premises amid gunshots.
At least three motorbikes were burnt during the chaos.
She said her action was meant to scare people off when she realised that her people’s lives were in danger.
The action of the minister-designate angered Civil Society Organisations as well as security analysts in the country.
They called for her arrest as well as immediate prosecution.
In the meantime, Ignatius Baffour-Awuah, Employment, and Labour Minister-designate disclosed that three million jobs were created in President Nana Akufo-Addo’s first term.
The jobs were in both private and public sectors, he told the Appointments Committee of Parliament on Wednesday, February 17, 2021.
Baffour-Awuah in September 2020 told Ghanaians that the administration created one million jobs.
But, when he appeared before the committee during his vetting that: “When I last checked on the number of jobs we have created, we had so far created jobs for over 3 million jobs.”
Enjoy reading our stories?
Join YEN.com.gh's Telegram channel!
Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news!