Successive governments have rolled out a number of good policies and programmes since independence all aimed at transforming the economy and positively changing the lives of Ghanaians.
The industrial, energy and education programmes of Kwame Nkrumah were top-notch. However, the achievements of Akufo-Addo's government in the educational sector supersede and outshines every government since independence.
The Free SHS policy, One-District-One-Factory, NHIS, Planting for Food and Jobs and others are very revolutionary and successful but the most revolutionary, technological masterpiece and impactful policy of Akufo-Addo's government is the digitalization programme spearheaded by the current Vice President and future President (2025) Dr. Bawumia.
The most expensive resource in this modern world is technology-driven by digitalization and digitization.
The advanced economies are solidified by Technology more than natural resources.
All the former governments of Ghana pay little attention to digitalization and digitization programmes.
Dr. Bawumia so far is the only Vice President since independence who has been able to add digital meaning to the economic management systems of Ghana by ensuring that the Ghanaian economy is formalized through Digitalization and Digitization.
The whole world is moving towards a digital economy but Ghana was very far behind until Dr. Bawumia came on the scene as the Vice President and Head of the economic management team of Akufo-Addo's government.
Dr. Bawumia has undertaken and continues to undertake various digital initiatives aimed at enhancing the harmonization and standardization of the entire architecture of the Ghanaian economy.
The effective and efficient way to revenue mobilization by government, and expansion of the tax net to include the informal sector of the economy is through digitalization and digitization.
Successful implementation of digitalization and digitization policy would automatically lead to less borrowing and debts servicing.
The digitization programme of Akufo-Addo's government spearheaded by Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has enhanced competitiveness of the Ghanaian economy and marketplace especially the mobile money Interoperability project.
Akufo-Addo's government has rolled out several digitalization and digitization programme which include:
1. Ghana's biggest Medical Drone Delivery System.
2. Mobile Money Interoperability. This project has helped to deepen financial inclusion and promotes a cashless agenda in Ghana. Through Dr. Bawumia, Ghana has become Africa's fastest-growing mobile money market.
3. Paperless Port System. The paperless port policy has reduced the cost of doing business at the ports.
4. Integrated e-immigration system
9. Development of Interoperability to integrate Government Databases.
10. Ghana. GOV digital payment platform, this provides a single point of access to all services of ministries, agencies and departments of Government.
11. National Digital Property Addressing System, and this project helps to provide a unique permanent digital address linked to postcodes.
12. Digitalization of the flagship product of National Lottery Authority(NLA) through the operations of *959# Short Code.
The digitalization and digitization programme led by Dr. Bawumia would help Government to:
1. Expand access to revenue collection.
2. Fight against corruption by reducing human interface in the administration, operations and transactions of public service delivery.
3. Ensure transparency, probity and accountability.
4. Formalize the Ghanaian Economy.
5. Ensure effective Security and safety of Ghanaians.
It is the expectation that through Akufo-Addo's Government and future government of Dr. Bawumia would help to make Ghana the hub of digitalization and digitization in Africa.
Ghana shall certainly become a full functional digital economy under Akufo-Addo-Bawumia's Government.
Through the successful efforts of Dr. Bawumia in the area of Digitalization, President Akufo-Addo has created a Ministry of Communications and Digitalization, and this ministry is the first of its kind since independence.
Enjoy reading our stories?
Never miss important updates Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news.