- The Obama's released a joint statement minutes after Derek Chauvin's verdict noting that justice had been served
- The former president noted people had to come to terms with the fact that black people are treated differently, and true justice was more than the single guilty verdict
- They sent their prayers to the Floyd family and hoped that other families would also be able to get justice
Former US president Barack Obama and his wife Michelle have reacted to the news of Derek Chauvin being found guilty on all three counts in the killing of George Floyd.
In a joint statement released a few minutes after the verdict, the duo noted that the "jury in Minneapolis did the right thing".
Obama said the image of Chauvin kneeling on George had inspired marches and sparked a conversation and what remained was to see if justice was to be served.
He noted true justice was more than just one guilty verdict in a single trial, and people had to come to terms with the fact that black people are treated differently, which is true justice.
"It requires us to recognise that millions of our friends, family and fellow citizens leave with fear that their encounter with law enforcement might be their last," the statement said.
Obama said the verdict was a step forward, but there was the need to follow through with concrete reforms that will eventually eliminate racial bias in the criminal justice system.
The 44th US president added the people could draw strength from the millions of people who matched and protested, noting justice was closer because of their efforts.
Obama and his wife also sent their prayers to the Floyd family, hoping that other families would get justice.
Earlier, YEN.com.gh reported that Chauvin, the ex-police officer who knelt on George leading to his death, had been found guilty on all three counts.
Chauvin's verdict was read on Thursday, April 21, at the Hennepin County Court, after the jurors deliberated for more than 10 hours.
The maximum sentence for second-degree unintentional murder is 40 years in prison, 25 years in prison for third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter is 10 years in prison or KSh 2.2 million.
He was out on bail but will now be remanded in prison. The judge, Peter Cahill, also revoked his bail.
The judge also noted that the sentencing would be done in the next eight weeks.
Source: Yen News