China's Sinovac Vaccine Approved by WHO for Emergency Use Against COVID-19

China's Sinovac Vaccine Approved by WHO for Emergency Use Against COVID-19

- WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus termed the vaccine a life-saving tool that needed to be distributed to people across the world

- The approval paves way for countries that still need vaccines such as those in Africa to import it as shortage continues to bite

- China was the first country in the world to report a COVID-19 case in Wuhan city

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has approved China's Sinovac Vaccine for emergency use against the COVID-19 disease.

China's Sinovac Vaccine Approved by WHO for Emergency Use Against COVID-19
A patient being vaccinated with the Chinese Sinovac vaccine. Photo: Getty Images.
Source: UGC

France 24 reported Sinovac in the process became the second Chinese shot to be given a green light by the international health body after Sinopharm.

“I’m happy to announce that the Sinovac-CoronaVac vaccine has been given WHO emergency use listing after being found to be safe, effective, and quality-assured,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Tuesday, June 1.

The Guardian reported Ghebreyesus termed the vaccine a life-saving tool that needed to be distributed to people across the world.

Read also

Lady teacher knocked by mini truck in 2019 still unable to talk & walk; needs GHc116k

The approval paves way for countries that still need vaccines such as those in Africa to import it as shortage continues to bite.

“The world desperately needs multiple COVID-19 vaccines to address the huge access inequity across the globe,” Mariangela Simao, the WHO’s assistant director-general for access to health product stated.

China was the first country in the world to report a COVID-19 case in Wuhan city.

The Asian nation has since managed to control the spread of the virus through strict measures that included lockdowns and vaccinations.

Vaccine shortage

A fortnight ago, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe noted that there was a looming shortage of the COVID-19 in the country.

The CS said Kenya was set to receive a donation of 150,000 doses of AstraZeneca Vaccines from DR Congo.

He noted that those who have only take the first dose should not be worried because the first dose offer up to 70% protection against the virus.

Read also

Minister dumps NPP, NDC as he deals with poor sanitation in Northern Region

“It is a fact the doses the government had acquired to be administered for Phase One are now on the verge of running out as close to one million have so far been vaccinated."
“We are still vaccinating, but what I can tell you is that we are at the tip, and we need more vaccines like yesterday," he said.

Source: Yen.com.gh

Online view pixel