Have you just lost a loved one or you need to encourage someone who is bereaved? Then, these death quotes will help. You need to bear in mind that the passing on of any important person to you, however painful it is, does not mean the end of life. These quotes have been compiled to encourage you to accept the loss. They are also meant to help you cope with the change in your life. You can always refer to them to get some inspiration. More so, they can serve as a source of encouragement to any sorrow-hearted person around you.
Inspirational death quotes
When a loved one is lost, it can be challenging getting the right words to express one's thought and feeling for such a person. However, having the right inspirational quotes can help so well while comforting bereaved people. You can use the following quotes to sympathise with others and also express how much you feel for them based on their challenging times.
READ ALSO: Sad love quotes for him
- It’s only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth – and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up – that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had. - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
- They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly — that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp. – Anne Lamott
- No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. - Steve Jobs
- The reality is that we don’t forget, move on, and have closure. But rather we honor, we remember, and incorporate our deceased children and siblings into our lives in a new way. In fact, keeping memories of your loved one alive in your mind and heart is an important part of your healing journey. – Harriet Schiff, author of The Bereaved Parent
- The truth I have been seeking — this truth is Death. Yet Death is also a seeker. Forever seeking me. So — we have met at last. And I am prepared. I am at peace. — Bruce Lee
- We can endure much more than we think we can; all human experience testifies to that. All we need to do is learn not to be afraid of pain. Grit your teeth and let it hurt. Don’t deny it, don’t be overwhelmed by it. It will not last forever. One day, the pain will be gone and you will still be there. – Harold Kushner
- Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.
- Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. - Lance Armstrong
Sad death quotes
No matter how sad you feel about the death of a beloved, you can find some inspiration from the following quotes.
- None of us knows the day of our death. However, if we knew that death is actually our acquisition, we would remove the fear of death from our lives. – Sunday Adelaja
- When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. – Kahlil Gibran
- If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever.
- Life is eternal, and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon; and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight. - Rossiter Worthington Raymond
- It is possible to provide security against other ills, but as far as death is concerned, we men live in a city without walls. - Epicurus
- The anguish of death hangs over and leads the human spirit to wonder about the mysteries of existence, man's destiny, life, the world. - E. Morin
- Without pain, there would be no suffering, without suffering we would never learn from our mistakes. To make it right, pain and suffering is the key to all windows, without it, there is no way of life. - Angelina Jolie
Quotes on death
- Suffering, failure, loneliness, sorrow, discouragement, and death will be part of your journey, but the Kingdom of God will conquer all these horrors. No evil can resist grace forever. - Brennan Manning
- What is history? Its beginning is that of the centuries of systematic work devoted to the solution of the enigma of death, so that death itself may eventually be overcome. That is why people write symphonies, and why they discover mathematical infinity and electromagnetic waves. - Boris Pasternak
- I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge – myth is more potent than history – dreams are more powerful than facts – hope always triumphs over experience – laughter is the cure for grief – love is stronger than death. - Robert Fulghum
- Each day is a little life: every waking and rising a little birth, every fresh morning a little youth, every going to rest and sleep a little death. - Arthur Schopenhauer
- The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins? - Edgar Allan Poe
- End? No, the journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. - J.R.R. Tolkien
- The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it’s indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it’s indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it’s indifference. - Elie Wiesel
Death quotes for loved ones
Sometimes, it can hurt so much when we see a loved one dying before us and we do not have the power to deliver them from the claws of death. The quotes below capture the feeling anyone could have about the death of loved ones. Read through them to get some encouragement.
- There are two types of people in the world: those who prefer to be sad among others, and those who prefer to be sad alone.
- To lose your father is to lose the one whose guidance and help you seek, who supports you like a tree trunk supports its branches. Yann Martel
READ ALSO: Sad love quotes that make you cry
- When your fear touches someone’s pain, it becomes pity. When your love touches someone’s pain, it becomes compassion. – Stephen Levine
- What we have once enjoyed deeply we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us. – Helen Keller
- To lose a brother is to lose someone with whom you can share the experience of growing old, who is supposed to bring you a sister-in-law and nieces and nephews, creatures who people the tree of your life and give it new branches. - Yann Martel (Life of Pi)
Life and death quotes
Death begins with living. The fact that one is alive is a proof that, someday, such will die. Interestingly, death is an inevitable visitor that can knock on anyone's door without a prior information or warning. It is also one of the toughest things that each one of us will have to deal with in our lives. However, the only thing is that no one knows when it will come. So, whether you are bereaved or you have someone who is bereaved around you and you need some quotes to encourage them, the following have been compiled for you.
- Life was such a fragile thing?as delicate and as beautiful as a butterfly, as ephemeral as a sunset. Death is peaceful. Death is quiet, silent. It is calming. - Akanksha
- The real question is not whether life exists after death. The real question is whether you are alive before death. - Osho RajneeshYou attend the funeral, you bid the dead farewell. You grieve. Then you continue with your life. And at times the fact of her absence will hit you like a blow to the chest, and you will weep. But this will happen less and less as time goes on. She is dead. You are alive. So live. - Neil Gaiman
- Thank Heaven! the crisis --The danger, is past, and the lingering illness, is over at last --, and the fever called ''Living'' is conquered at last. - Edgar Allan Poe
- Our life and death are the same thing. When we realize this fact we have no fear of death anymore, and we have no actual difficulty in our life. - Shunryu Suzuki
- Death is not something you get over. It's the rip that exposes life in a before and after chasm, and all you can do is try to exist as best you can in the after. - Lily Graham
- Death is a release from the impressions of the senses, and from desires that make us their puppets, and from the vagaries of the mind, and from the hard service of the flesh.
- Where is it I’ve read that someone condemned to death says or thinks, an hour before his death, that if he had to live on some high rock, on such a narrow ledge that he’d only room to stand, and the ocean, everlasting darkness, everlasting solitude, everlasting tempest around him, if he had to remain standing on a square yard of space all his life, a thousand years, eternity, it were better to live so than to die at once. - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Quotes about death
- Death is the destination we all share, no one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be because death is very likely the single best invention of life. - Steve Jobs
- Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. - Norman Cousins
- When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home. - Tecumseh
- The death penalty not only takes away the life of the person strapped to the table - it takes away a little bit of the humanity in each of us. - Clint Smith
- People do not die for us immediately, but remain bathed in a sort of aura of life which bears no relation to true immortality but through which they continue to occupy our thoughts in the same way as when they were alive. It is as though they were travelling abroad. - Marcel Proust
- Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there’s a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see. - Helen Keller
- Our death is not an end if we can live on in our children and the younger generation. For they are us; our bodies are only wilted leaves on the tree of life. Albert Einstein
READ ALSO: How to write a tribute for a funeral
Funny death quotes
- Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no to-morrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace. - Oscar Wilde
- Dying is like coming to the end of a long novel–you only regret it if the ride was enjoyable and left you wanting more.
- Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is just a passing shadow of a cloud. - Yann Martel (Life of Pi)
- Try as much as possible to be wholly alive with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell. And when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough. - William Saroyan
- I carry death in my left pocket. Sometimes I take it out and talk to it: “Hello, baby, how you doing? When you coming for me? I’ll be ready”. - Charles Bukowski
- You may be proud, wise, and fine, but death will wipe you off the face of the earth as though you were no more than mice burrowing under the floor, and your posterity, your history, your immortal geniuses will burn or freeze together with the earthly globe. - Anton Chekhov
- We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and—in spite of True Romance magazines — we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. - Hunter S. Thompson
Apart from sending or sharing quotes, there are death quotes images that you can also find online and share. An example of such is the one below:
With all that have been shared so far, I hope you find these death quotes inspiring and worth sharing to encourage others.
READ ALSO: Sad quotes about life