The University of Energy and Natural Resources is among the new institutions in Ghana that provide higher education to meet the increasing demand. Formed as a result of Act 830 of the parliament of Ghana, UENR has expanded rapidly to become not only one of the most prominent institutions but also one of the best universities in the country. If you have just passed your SHS exams and you are looking for a university that can nurture your career, this should be among your options. But before you seek admission, it is vital to know all UENR courses and the requirements for enrollment.
The University of Energy and Natural Resources offers courses mainly in engineering, management, economics, and social and political issues surrounding energy and natural resources. While the university has its established programs, some of them are offered through inter-program collaborations.
UENR currently has three campuses conveniently situated in Sunyani, Dormaa Ahenkro and Nsoatre. The main campus is situated at Sunyani. This campus houses the central administration, School of Sciences, School of Natural Resources and School of Graduate Studies. The School of Engineering has its proposed location at Nsoatre. The schools of Geoscience and Agriculture and Technology will be situated at Dormaa Ahenkro.
Courses offered at the University of Energy and Natural resources
You can select your preferred course from the University of Energy and Natural Resources courses as long as your qualifications permit. For you to join any of these regular or short courses at UENR, you will be required to have met the requirements. Additionally, you need to have a cumulative score that matches or surpasses the set University of Energy and Natural Resources cut off points.
School of Sciences
Courses offered under this school are:
- BSc. Chemistry
- BSc. Actuarial Science
- BSc. Mathematics
- BSc. Statistics
- BSc. Computer Science
- BSc. Information technology
- BSc. Medical Biodiagnostic Science
- BSc. Biological science
- BSc. Nursing
- Dip. Information Technology, Dip. Insurance, Dip. Computer Science and Dip. Statistics
READ ALSO: Here's everything you need to know about Radford University
School of Engineering
UENR courses provided under this school include:
- BSc. Agricultural Engineering
- BSc. Civil Engineering
- BSc. Environmental Engineering
- BSc. Mechanical Engineering
- BSc. Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- BSc. Computer Engineering
- BSc. Renewable Energy Engineering.
- Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- School of Agriculture and technology
- BSc. Agriculture (Animal and Crop Production Options)
- BSc. Agribusiness
- Diploma in Agriculture
School of Agriculture and Technology
Courses offered at UENR School of Agriculture and Technology include:
- BSc. Agriculture (Animal and Crop Production options)
- BSc. Agribusiness
- Diploma in Agriculture
School of Natural Resources
In this school, the University of Energy and Natural Resources courses include:
- BSc. Wildfire and Range management
- BSc. Fire and Disaster management
- BSc. Natural resource (Social Forestry, Ecotourism, Fisheries and Aqua Culture, Forest resource management, and Land Reclamation and restoration options)
- Dip. Natural resource management
- Dip. Fire and disaster management
School of Geoscience
Courses offered here include:
- BSc. Climate change and sustainable Development
- BSc. Planning and Sustainability
- Dip. Geo-Information Science
School of Management Science and Law
If you're interested in this field, you can enrol for:
- BSc. Hospitality and Management
- B.A Professional French
- BSc. Resource Enterprise and entrepreneurship.
- Dip. Enterprise Management.
- Dip. Hospitality Management.
READ ALSO: Best exams wishes for boyfriend - examination wishes and success messages
School of Graduate Studies
You can as well pursue your postgraduate studies at the University of Energy and Natural Resources. The following master's programs are available.
- MSc/MPhil/PhD in Computer Science
- MSc/MPhil in Climate Change
- MPhil in Applied Mathematics
- MSc/MPhil/PhD in Crop Science
- MPhil/PhD in Social Forestry and Environmental governance
- MSc/PhD in Environmental Engineering Management
- MSc/MPhil in Environmental Planning and Sustainability
- MBA/MPhil in Agribusiness Management
- MSc/PhD in Sustainable Energy management
UENR cut off points
You need a specific set of academic achievements to enrol for courses at the University of Energy and Natural Resources of Ghana.
For a degree programme (four years)
You must possess any of the following qualifications to enrol for a degree course at UENR:
- An SSSCE holder with a credit pass of A-D in Mathematics, English Language, and Integrated Science or Social Studies. Additionally, you need a credit pass (A-D) in three subjects that are relevant to your field of study and an aggregate score of 24 or higher.
- A WASSCE holder with a credit pass (A1-C6) in Mathematics, English Language, and Integrated Science or Social Studies. You should also have credit passes (A1-C6) in three subjects that are relevant to your desired field of study. Overall, your aggregate score must be 36 or higher.
- An Advanced Level holder with credit in at least 5 subjects (including Mathematics and English) at the ‘O’ Level GCE or its equivalent. At least 2 subjects should be relevant to your area of study.
- A Higher National Diploma with at least a 2nd Class Lower Division in a related course. You need at least two (2) years of post-school working experience.
- A Mature Student of at least 25 years of age. You will be required to provide legal documents to confirm your age. Besides, you need to have passed the Mature Applicant’s Entrance Examination that is provided by the university and covers Aptitude, Mathematics and English Language.
- A Foreign Applicant who is holding any of the above qualifications or an equivalent. You must be from a recognized institution.
- A holder of other recognized qualifications including IGCSE, International Baccalaureate, American Grade 13 exams and any other qualification that is equivalent to GCE (A Levels) or WASSCE/SSSCE qualifications.
READ ALSO: How to study the Bible in 3 simple ways
Diploma programmes (2 years)
For admission to a Diploma Programme, you'll need to:
- Be an SSSCE holder with an A-E pass in all subjects including Mathematics, English Language, and Integrated Science or Social Studies. You should also have 3 passes (A-E) in subjects relevant to your chosen area of study.
- You need to be a WASSCE holder with passes (A1-E8) in Mathematics, English Language, and Integrated Science or Social Studies. You should also have passes (A1-E8) in 3 subjects that are relevant to your area of study.
Now that you’ve known all the UENR courses and cut off points, why not proceed to apply? For any queries about your qualifications, contact the admissions department using the details on their website.
How to apply for admission at UENR
All applications for intake into the University of Energy and Natural Resources are made online via the university’s admissions portal. The process follows three significant steps are provided here:
Step 1: Get a voucher slip
Here, you will be required to purchase a voucher slip and get an email address. Once you have these, you’ll need to enter the following details:
- Application number on the voucher
- Full name as on results slip
- Mobile Number
- Save and get to the next step
READ ALSO: List of free online courses that you can study in Ghana
Step 2: Create a username and password
At this step, you will be required to log in to your email and get the username and password. Click the link provided in your email for you to access the online application portal. With your username, log in to the institution’s portal. You will be prompted to change it immediately after logging in.
While here, select a new application form. Once it loads, fill it carefully. Make sure to countercheck to ensure that you have filled everything correctly before you click 'Submit.'
Step 3: Download your completed form
Finally, you will now download the filled form and prepare for the final stage of the application process. Once you have downloaded, you need to attach the required documents. These include copies of your results slip, copies of your certificates and 2 passport-size photos.
When applying as a mature applicant, provide your birth certificate or any other relevant documents. Fill the forms together with the attachments and mail them to the University of Energy and Natural Resources.
The University of Energy and Natural resources fees
If you have gone through the UENR courses and requirements, and you feel like this is an ideal place to further your studies, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the fees payable.
Fees for international students
International students are required to pay a tuition fee of USD 2,700 for courses under the School of Natural Resources and School of Agriculture. Admission to the School of Science and School of Geo-political science attracts a fee of USD 3,500 while admission to the School of Engineering attracts a fee of USD 4,000.
To stay at the university, international students are required to pay a hostel fee of USD 700 and a refundable fee of USD 50 to cater for damages. Other fees include SRC Souvenirs which amounts to GH₵ 60.00 and departmental dues of GH₵ 60.00.
READ ALSO: Central university college fees, hostel prices, and admission requirements
Fees for Ghanaian students
Ghanaian students will have to part with a flat rate of GH₵ 950.13 in tuition fees for all courses. Also, they will have to pay other academic charges depending on the department.
If you wish to reside on campus, you will part with GH₵ 1,300 in hostel fees and a GH₵ 50 damages fee. Others include an SRC Souvenir fee of GH₵ 60 and a departmental fee of GH₵ 60.
Contact information for the University of Energy and Natural Resources
In case you want to reach out to the University for Inquiries, the available contacts are;
- Phone number: +233 352290390 and +233 532290366
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: P.O. Box 214, Sunyani.
- Website: www.uenr.edu.gh
Now that you’ve gone through the UENR courses and requirements, you are now in a better position to choose what suits you nest. UENR courses cover a broad field, meaning that you won’t find it hard to get something that suits you best. Despite this, make sure to select something that will help you build a career in a field that you truly love.
READ ALSO: Biomedical Science: meaning, courses, careers and salaries in Ghana
READ ALSO: Becoming a pilot - everything you need to do