Little was known about Douglas Emhoff until his wife Kamala Harris made history by becoming the first woman of colour to be nominated for vice president. Most men would shrink when overshadowed by a superstar wife but not Douglas. As his wife accepted the nomination, he made his entrance to the stage beaming with a confident smile that showed a man content with his life choices.
Like his wife, Douglas is also destined to make history should Harris and Biden win the US presidency. As a result, Emhoff would become the United States' first, second gentleman. While both Emhoff and Harris are both lawyers, he took a back seat in politics and has been more than happy to support his wife's ambitions.
Douglas Emhoff profile summary
- Name: Douglas Emhoff
- Date of birth: October 13th, 1964
- Place of birth: Brooklyn, New York
- Age: 56 years old (as of 2020)
- Douglas Emhoff nationality: American
- Star sign: Libra
- Education: California State University
- Occupation: Lawyer
Douglas Emhoff biography
The lawyer was born on the 13th of October, 1964 in Brooklyn, New York to Jewish parents. He attended the Agoura High School, but that was not the end of Douglas Emhoff education. He enrolled for a Degree in Law at the University of Southern California and graduated in the year 1990.
Douglas is white and of Jewish descent. His paternal grandfather, Albert Emhoff, was born in New Jersey to Austrian Jewish parents. His paternal grandmother, Henrietta Anne Mandell was born in New York to Austrian Jewish immigrants.
His maternal grandfather was called William Kanzer and born to Jewish parents from the Russian empire. His maternal grandmother was Bertha Leezenbaum. She was also born in New York to a Russian Jewish father and an Austrian Jewish mother. As opposed to her husband, Kamala Harris ethnicity is mixed. She is of black and Asian American descent.
READ ALSO: Fameye age, real name, girlfriend, hometown, family, songs, albums and Instagram
Emhoff’s marriage to Kamala Harris is not his first. He was previously married to Kerstin Emhoff for 25 years. The marriage was blessed with two lovely children, Cole and Ella. His son Cole is a graduate of Colorado College while his daughter Ella pursued a degree in design at Parsons School.
There is no information as to why Emhoff and Kerstin split, but they are still in good terms as they jointly support their children. A mutual friend set up Emhoff and Harris, and after a blind date, they decided to see each other again. By the year 2014, they had gotten married at a courthouse ceremony.
Harris' sister officiated Douglas Emhoff and Kamala Harris wedding. Before Douglas, there is no other information regarding Kamala Harris love life.
Pillsbury Winthrop’s litigation group is where Emhoff started his career. In 2000, he teamed up with Ben Whitwell to open their law firm. In 2006, it was acquired by Venable where he had clients such as Walmart and Merck.
He was managing Venable’s West Coast offices by the time he was joining DLA Piper as a partner in 2017. Douglas Emhoff net worth is estimated to be around $4 million.
READ ALSO: Comedian Clemento Suarez bio: Real name, age, girlfriend, hometown
- Emhoff is a lawyer just like his wife. He is a partner at DLA Piper firm where he works based in Washington D.C. and Los Angeles.
- He met his second wife through a blind date set up by a mutual friend. Emhoff was divorced at the time and Harris was single, and their friend Chrisette Hudlin saw that they were a perfect fit for one another.
- He has two children from his first marriage. His marriage with former wife Kerstin resulted in two beautiful children. The first is a boy named Cole and a younger girl by the name Ella.
- He is of Jewish descent. Emhoff is Jewish, and as a result, they broke glass during his wedding ceremony following the customs of his people.
- He has many hobbies that he likes to engage in when he is not practising law or on the campaign trail with his wife.
- Douglas loves to play golf and fantasy football. He is also a huge fan of Nirvana.
- Emhoff and Harris are age mates separated only by a week.
Kamala Harris’ husband, Douglas Emhoff, has shown men how they should love and support their women. When Kamala Harris dropped her presidential campaigns, Emhoff noted that he was her husband and not her campaign advisor. As a result, he reiterated his support for all her decisions and vowed to be there for her no matter what.
READ ALSO: Kate Henshaw bio: age, net worth, daughter, movies, house
Yen.com.gh recently shared the biography of the beautiful Nigerian actress, Kate Henshaw. Her acting career goes back to 20 years ago, and still, her talent is unmatched.
Kate Henshaw is a clear depiction of hard work and determination. She received an honour from the Nigerian Federal Government and bestowed the commendation for the Member of the Order of the Federal Republic; the highest award accorded to a civilian.
- Darkovibes bio: age, net worth, birthday, Instagram, photos
- Chika Ike bio: net worth, movies, husband, age, photos
- Destiny Etiko bio: age, parents, net worth, boyfriend, photos