- According to the court, it deemed the cases of the first and second respondents also closed following its ruling on Thursday, February 11, 2021
- The petitioner had earlier closed his case after the testimony of his third witness
- But following the court’s ruling, the petitioner was seeking to reopen its case in order to subpoena the EC boss
- However, the court dismissed this application
Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
The Supreme Court has dismissed Mahama’s application to reopen his case in the ongoing 2020 election petition trial.
The lead counsel for the former president, Tsatsu Tsikata, informed the court on Thursday, February 12, 2021, that he wished to reopen the former president’s case.
This would allow the former president, the petitioner in the case, to subpoena the chairperson of the Electoral Commission (EC), Jean Mensa, into the witness box for cross-examination.
The petition was adjourned to Thursday, February 18, 2021, for counsel to highlight the written addresses for the petition to be adjourned for judgment.
In this article, YEN.com.gh presents five photos, capturing happenings in court.
1. Tsatsu Tsikata the lead lawyer for the petitioner, John Mahama, explaining to his team members what went down in court.
2. The legal team of President Nana Akufo-Addo conferring among themselves following the court's order on filing closing addresses.
3. Jean Mensa, the returning officer in the 2020 general elections and the lawyer for the EC, Justin Amenuvor. Solid guy!
4. Kojo Oppong Nkrumah addressing journalists after the trial.
5. Gabby Asare Otchere-Darko stepping out of court after the dismissal of John Mahama's application to reopen his case.
Meanwhile, Dr. Dominic Ayine, one of the spokespersons of the former president’s legal team said he would welcome any punishment meted out to him by the court for disparaging it.
This was after he made a fiery accusation that the court has a "predetermined agenda" to rule against the petitioners after the court rejected the application by the Mahama to reopen his case.
“I won’t begrudge them. But that honestly wasn’t meant to disparage the court or bring its reputation into disrepute,” he said.
That notwithstanding, he said he had no intention whatsoever of scandalising the court. But, if he came across as having done that, he would apologize and withdraw.
The former Attorney General’s accusation drew loads of critical reactions on social media.
The former Deputy Attorney General’s comment was met with outrage on social media with users calling on the court to cite him for contempt.
The NDC flagbearer John Dramani Mahama petitioned the Supreme Court to order a second round of the December 7, election.
According to him, the votes obtained by NPP’s candidate, President Nana Akufo-Addo, and himself in the December 7, election as declared by the EC Chair were not enough for a candidate to be declared the winner.
Enjoy reading our stories?
Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news!