- Authorities in South Korea were investigating the deaths which happened just days after the duo were vaccinated against the deadly COVID-19 pandemic
- Health experts in the East Asian nation were yet to determine whether the patients died from the side effects of the vaccine
- Over 85,000 people in South Korea have received the AstraZeneca vaccine while over 1,500 of them opted for Pfizer shots
Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Two people in South Korea have lost their lives after they received the AstraZeneca vaccine.
Health authorities in the East Asian nation are investigating the deaths which happened just days after the duo were vaccinated against the deadly COVID-19 pandemic.
A South Koren publication, Yonhap, reported the two patients were a 63-year-old with a pre-existing condition (cerebrovascular disease) while the other in his 50s had been diagnosed with diabetes and cardiac disorder.
Health experts in the country were yet to determine whether the patients died from the side effects of the vaccine.
Over 85,000 people in South Korea have received the AstraZeneca vaccine while over 1,500 of them opted for Pfizer shots as of Tuesday, March 2.
The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency said the deaths could raise concerns about the vaccines but was still investigating whether there was a direct link to the jabs.
The agency said the country was expected to receive over 2.1 million doses of the vaccine by May but noted there were a total of 209 side effect cases that had been reported.
According to Forbes, less than 2,000 people have died of the virus in South Korea as it implemented strict measures when the disease set foot in it.
Vaccine found to be less effective on new strain
The World Health Organisation (WHO) had warned people not to dismiss the AstraZeneca vaccine after it was found to be less effective on a new strain in South Africa.
The international health body insisted that AstraZeneca remains a crucial, life-saving tool against the pandemic.
Kenya received the first batch of the vaccine on Wednesday, March 3.
The consignment was received by Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe, who assured the country the government would account for every jab.
Kagwe said the vaccines would go a long way in boosting the country's fight against coronavirus, describing it as a game-changer.