A passport is a document that is used to verify the holder’s country of citizenship. It is paramount to have a passport whenever you are travelling out of the country to regain entry. The validity of a Ghanaian passport is ten years, meaning that if you have had your passport for almost ten years, you should start preparing to renew it. Would you like to know how to renew your Ghanaian passport in the USA?
Renewing a passport provided by the Republic of Ghana can be done even if you are not in your home country. Therefore, if you are in the USA and plan to travel back to Ghana, you can still renew your passport while in the US.
To renew your passport in the US, you can choose to visit a Ghana embassy in USA physically or send the application through an mail. However, the forms, cost, and application process are still the same for both.
What are the requirements?
If you notice that your passport has approximately nine months before it expires, then you may have to start thinking about renewing it. This is just a precaution, and also because some countries will only allow you entry if your passport remains valid for up to six months after you travel there.
When looking to renew their passports, the most common thing to do is visit a Ghana embassy for passport renewal. You will get the proper assistance through the whole process. However, if you cannot get to the embassy, you can do the whole process online and get it through the mail.
To renew your passport, you first have to ensure that you have the following:
- Your most recent passport.
- Four identical passport-sized photos.
- An application/ processing fee of 110 US dollars.
- Documents to support identity (National Identification Card or a driver’s license).
- If you have changed your name between passports, you will include legal documents establishing the change.
The application process
After ensuring that you meet all of the requirements, you can now go ahead and begin the application process. The process is pretty straightforward and includes the following steps:
- Download the application form from the Ghana embassy for passport renewal website. If you live in New York, you can get the Ghana passport renewal application form in New York.
- Print the form.
- Complete it with all the relevant details. It requires information about your biography and your parents. You will also have to give names and contacts for two guarantors who can vouch for your identity.
- Attach the necessary documents that will be specified in the form by the Ghana passport office in USA.
- Make the payment. For the current fee, you should check the Ghana consulate in Chicago website or whichever city you live in.
- Send the completed application form and proof of payment. You could choose to mail it to the embassy by mail or physically.
Do you need to book an appointment?
If you are worried about a passport renewal appointment for an interview, then you do not need to. The passport renewal process does not require an interview. After you complete the application process, you will receive your passport in around four to ten weeks, either physically or in the mail.
Remember to renew your Ghanaian passport in the USA as soon as it expires, or even before. Failure to do so could result in grievous consequences like being unable to travel out of or back into your home country. You can complete the renewal process whether you are in your home country or not.
Yen.com.gh reports that Passport offices in Ghana will resume work on Monday May 18, 2020 after COVID-19 break. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration also added that the online application portal would be open for booking of appointments from Wednesday, 20th May 2020.
All applicants and official visitors alike would be required to wear face masks and have their own hand sanitizers before they are allowed entry into a PAC.