Autopsy reveals Kumasi Academy students who died were not poisoned

Autopsy reveals Kumasi Academy students who died were not poisoned

Four Kumasi Academy Senior High School (KUMACA) who were suspected to have died from food poisoning have had a new autopsy report by the Ghana Health Service debunk earlier assumptions.

Get all the latest news from Ghana here

Autopsy reveals Kumasi Academy students who died were not poisoned

READ ALSO: Maternal mortality in Tamale on the rise

The report showed that the students died of meningitis, a contagious disease caused by a bacteria that affects the brain and spinal cord and can sometimes be fatal.

The death of the students forced some parents to withdraw their wards from the school fearing that another case of the suspected food poisoning could break out again.

However, after days of investigation, the report which was read out by the Ashanti regional minister, Simon Osei Mensah indicated that a thorough research was done to arrive at this conclusion.

Addressing the media on Wednesday, the minister said “Through the collaborative effort of experts from the Ghana Health Services at the district, regional and national levels together with an experience colleague from the Komfo Anokye teaching hospital and the school of Medical Sciences, we can propose the cause of these deaths as meningitis.”

READ ALSO: Asantehene adopts Indian woman and gives her Ashanti name

The minister further indicated that they will continue to keep a close eye on the situation so that cases can be detected and managed appropriately.

He said to contain the situation especially amongst students, every Secondary school would be assigned a hospital to monitor them so early detection can be managed immediately.

Source: Yen.com.gh

Related news
Shatta Michy cool with me ‘hosting’ her man in bed – Afia Odo speaks

Shatta Michy cool with me ‘hosting’ her man in bed – Afia Odo speaks

Shatta Michy cool with me ‘hosting’ her man in bed – Afia Odo speaks
YEN.com.gh
Mailfire view pixel