For lovers of groundnuts, there are many Ghanaian dishes you can make. Here is a simple recipe to make delicious banku with groundnut soup.
What is Banku?
Banku is a popular traditional dish that originates from Ghana. It is made from a mixture of ground corn and cassava tubers. The corn and cassava are given time to ferment before cooking. The banku is a very celebrated dish in Ghana, not only because of its tantalizing taste, but also the fact that cooking it takes a very short period of time. If you visit Ghana, be sure to visit any restaurant and order this delicious meal.
Preparation of banku with groundnut soup
Let’s take a look on how to prepare banku first;
- The first step is to prepare the dough. This is done by mixing the corn and cassava thoroughly
- Add warm water to the mixture
- Put the mixture in a pot at a warm place to let it ferment
- Fermentation may take up to 2 days depending on the climate of the environment
- You should not over-ferment otherwise the banku will have a bad and strange taste
- An alternative to fermenting is adding vinegar to quicken the fermentation
- Once it’s fermented, boil water
- Add the dough and keep mixing it until it becomes tough
- If it becomes too hard you can still add water .
- Cook for ten minutes, and your banku will be ready
- Serve the banku when hot or warm by creating round balls, serve banku with groundnut soup.
In some cases people add meat or fish to make it more appealing and tasty
Groundnut soup recipe
The banku groundnut soup is a unique dish that is very mouth watering. Below is a simple recipe of how to make it at the comfort of your home;
Groundnut paste- 6 tablespoons
Tomato paste- 3 tablespoons
Half litre of water
Garlic- 1 clove
Water- 1 liter
- Mix the groundnut paste to the water and boil it for around 15 minutes
- Add the chopped onions, chilli, tomatoes, garlic. Blending them is more preferable
- Add salt and sugar and let them boil after mixing for around 30 minutes
- Chop the carrots in a stick-like pattern,the mushrooms in big pices then fry the two in oil
- Add the mushrooms and carrots into the soup while squeezing lime over the soup.
- Boil for around 15 minutes
- Serve with banku, and make sure not to use a spoon, enjoy the food while appreciating the culture.
Banku with groundnut soup have a high nutritional value. The banku is made of carbohydrates which give energy to the body. The groundnut soup is made of proteins and vitamins. The proteins help to build the body cells and the vitamins, protect the body from diseases. When you go to Ghana eat the banku in Ghana and your life will never be the same again.