The conception and commissioning of the Institute of Local Government Studies (ILGS) came as a result of the Government of Ghana’s effort to equip the local government system in the country. The essence of this was so that it could play a major role in developing the country at the grassroots level and also reduce poverty as much as possible. Based on all this, the Institute remains one of the specialized institutions that focus on specialized training in the country. Also, the Institute is reportedly claimed to be the only institution that is devoted to building capacity for the local government sector in Ghana as well as the sub-region.
About Institute of Local Government Studies Accra
Based on its commissioning in 1999, the mandate of the Institute of Local Government Studies (ILGS) has been to educate and empower prospective students in public management as well as public development. Backed by the Act of Parliament, 647 of 2003, among other things, the institution is meant to embark on and promote researches in local government; organize courses, seminars, workshops and conferences for different people who are related or have something to do with local governance; and then establish specialized libraries that are local government hinged.
More so, the Institute is meant to collaborate with relevant national and international institutions so that it could better perform its functions; and importantly, award certificates, diplomas and higher qualifications as it will be agreed upon by the Institute and then, approved by the National Accreditation Board.
The Institute is accredited, and it offers degree, diploma and certificate courses for prospective students. The Institute of Local Government Studies (ILGS) offers a total of 10 courses.
Institute of local government studies courses offered
The Institute runs three major programmes for its prospective students. For professionals who desire to advance their knowledge in their chosen field, there are professional development courses they could go for. And for those who desire to have their first or second degree in local government related courses, or pursue both degrees, there are courses available for them as well. Also, those who wish to have a diploma certificate in public development will find a diploma programme available for them.
Specifically, the list of programmes and courses the Institute offers include the following:
Undergraduate level courses
- BA Social Development;
- BA Public Sector;
- BA Community Development;
- Diploma in Community and Social Development.
Graduate level courses
M.Sc in Environmental Science, Policy and Management
The essence of the programme is to prepare the students to identify, develop and implement effective solutions to environmental challenges, with particular emphasis on developing country contexts. With the programme, students would be able to understand scientific principles that underlie environmental changes and stimulate the requisite social, economic, legal and policy capacity for practicing, and potential decision-makers in central and local government, among others.
The programme is structured in such a way that the students are required to undertake internship, workshops and a research dissertation. This is apart from the fact that the students would be required to complete 8 core courses and four electives for the academic year broken into two semesters. More information is available here.
Bachelor’s degree holders preferably from Geography, Natural Resources, Agricultural Science, Biological Sciences, Planning, Civil Engineering, Economics and other related courses are good to apply.
M.Sc in Local Government Administration and Organization
The two year programme is specially structured to meet the capacity gaps and the career development goals of local government practitioners and of the people interested in pursuing a career in local governance. It also aims to expose students to tools, techniques, and trends in local government administrations by educating the students using advanced concepts and techniques.
The programme is designed for completion in four semesters spread over a period of two years. Each session is expected to last for an average of 3-4 months with a recess of about 2 months. There are a total of 14 courses packaged into 3 core courses and 3 elective courses per semester. Except for the thesis, which is the individual research work, each course is expected to consist of on-campus lectures. For more information, visit the school's official website.
M.Sc in Local Economic Development
The programme is also two years comprising 12 months of coursework and six months for research. It is aimed at equipping students with a broad knowledge of theory and research in local and regional economic development by providing the opportunity for practising professionals to participate in graduate studies, as well as provide a research component focused on local needs and critical evaluation among others. Visit the institution for more information.
M.Sc in Local Government Financial Management
The programme is designed to equip the students with the requisite understanding of the legal and administrative environment required to efficiently manage financial resources of local governments, as well as the skills they need to account for financial resources in cost-effective and efficient manner that facilitates effective accomplishment of the local government mandate. This is coupled with training them in knowledge of strategic policy analysis and evaluation in line with financial regulations and other guidelines together with the skills they need to effectively participate in the preparation of business and investment plans.
The programme is designed for completion within a period of two (2) years. There are four (4) main segments which are foundation, integration, specialization, and performance with each segment expected to last for an average of 16 weeks.
Professional Development courses
Certificate in Local Government Administration (CLGA)
This is tailored for career beginners who are Local government officials.
Senior Management Certificate in Local Government Administration (SMCILGA)
This programme is aimed at senior management professionals who are local government officials.
Institute of Local Government Studies fees
Although, there are no fees published on their official website as touching their graduate and undergraduate programmes, the official website, however, has a 2017 dated information published that prospective students who want to run Professional Development courses will pay 2,500 in Ghana Cedis for a certificate in Local Government Administration (CLGA). And then, those who want the Senior Management Certificate in Local Government Administration (SMCILGA) will pay 2,000 in Ghana Cedis.
Institute of Local Government Studies 2018 admission requirements
While there are no information about the admission requirements for those applying for the undergraduate programme, the following are expected from prospective students who want to apply as graduates for the Master's programme:
- For M.Sc in Local Government Financial Management, a first degree holder in Accountancy, Finance, and Commerce or in any relevant discipline from any recognized university and accredited by the National Accreditation Board can apply for this. And then, a person with the final examination certificate of professional bodies like ICA (Ghana), ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA, etc. can be considered.
- Those applying for M.Sc in Local Economic Development must be graduates with degrees in geography, planning, economics, business, or commerce and related disciplines.
- Bachelor’s degree holders in the social sciences or any other related subject, and a two-year post-graduation work experience are required to apply for M.Sc in Local Government Administration and Organization.
- Candidates applying for the Masters programme in Environmental Science, Policy, and Management are expected to have an undergraduate degree preferably in Geography, Natural Resources, Agricultural Science, Biological Sciences, Planning, Civil Engineering, Economics and other related courses. More so, such must have a First or a Second Class (Lower Division) honours degree from a recognized university/tertiary institution or from an equivalent organisation that is approved by the institute.
How to apply
The following are the processes involved in applying for an admission into the Institute of local government studies.
Applying as an undergraduate
- The prospective student is expected to pay a non-refundable application fee of GH¢120.00 in cash or through bankers draft to the Institute of Local Government studies and crossed (& Co.). But for applicants from outside Ghana, they are requested to pay US $100.00 or its equivalent.
- Download the application form from their portal and fill in BLOCK LETTERS with all the relevant information as required.
Other things to accompany the application form include:
- Copies of certificates/results slips and any other relevant academic records are to be enclosed in triplicate.
- Three (3) recent Passport sized Photographs with one of which affixed to the form. The other 2 should be endorsed by a Senior Public Officer above the rank of Assistant Director, Lawyer or a Medical Doctor.
- Two stamped self-addressed express envelopes.
- For mature applicants, they are expected to include in the Application Form copies of their Birth Certificate and Letter of Employment.
Note: Copied documents are to be certified from the source of the document. Eg WAEC, Polytechnic, etc. or originals must be brought for verification.
Applying as a graduate
- Applicants must have First or Second Class (Lower Division) honours degree from a recognized university/tertiary institution or an equivalent approved by the Institute.
- Candidates applying should have not less than two (2) years post graduate working experience appropriate for the programme.
- Those applying in Ghana and Ghanaians are expected to download the application form from the Institute’s portal and pay the application fee of GH¢150.00 after submission. But for those applying outside Ghana and Non-Ghanaians, they are to pay a non-refundable application fee of US$150.00 or its equivalent in international money order.
- Applicants are to ensure that their academic transcripts and copies of certificates are enclosed.
- Enclose the duly filled two (2) referee’s reports attached to the application form while submitting.
- Applicants’ choice of programme of study should be rightly quoted on the top of every document including the application form.
- Every applicant is to add their recent Curriculum Vitae to the form.
It is hoped that shortlisted candidates would either be contacted via a text message, or the list of successful candidates would be published on the Institute's official website.
Institute of Local Government Studies Ghana contact information
The locations of the Institute of local government studies are both in Accra and Tamale, and prospective candidates are expected to visit whichever is nearer to them. The contact information of both centres are below:
P.O Box LG 549
Tel: (+233) 302-508817, 302-508063, 302-508819
Fax: (+23) 302-508818
P.O Box 1852
Tel: (+233) 3720-23972
Fax: (+233) 3720-23953
Anyone seeking to be trained in public administration and development will find the Institute of Local Government Studies admission of a great need to him or her.