If you are looking for an ideal place for learning, starting a successful career and building friendships, then Ho Technical University is a good place for you. Ho Technical University offers various courses that will help you build your career and achieve your dream. The courses and programs offered at the university are categorized into bachelor degrees, certificates, diplomas, and associate or foundation degrees among others. The lecturers employed by the university are highly qualified, so they will provide you with important skills for the job market. This article will inform you about the courses offered at the university, fees, and admission requirements.
The basis of succeeding in a career today starts from the choice of school you pick for your higher learning needs. Choosing a good college will have you properly anchored and ready to face the world as far as employment is concerned. To increase your chances of success, therefore, always enrol in the right college.
Ho Technical University history
The establishment of the Ho Ghana dates back to 1968. The location of Ho Technical University is at Volta region. The University was first established as a Technical College with a primary goal of offering pre-technical studies and training. However, pre-technical programs led to the introduction of other courses in the Vocational and Engineering fields such as Agricultural and Mechanical Engineering, Basic Engineering, Business, and Technology Education.
The institute became a polytechnic in 1986, but it continued its operations as a second cycle institution. In 1993, the institute was upgraded to a tertiary institution and it had the responsibility of training students in the vocational and technical skills to the Higher Diploma Level.
Consequently, in 2007, all polytechnics in Ghana were provided with the mandate to award their own degrees by the Polytechnics Act 745. Since then, Ho Technical Institute has been offering courses from non-tertiary level to the bachelor degree level. Currently, the Polytechnic has been allowed to award Masters in Mechanical Engineering and Agricultural Engineering.
Ho Technical University has a selective admission policy which is based on academic record and grades of the students. International applicants can also apply for the enrollment.
The following vision, mission, objectives, ethics policy and core values guide the institution;
The vision of Ho Technical Institute is to be a reputable technological institution actively engaged in national development.
The mission of Ho Technical Institute is to train highly competent personnel to the highest level possible through skill training career-focused education, skill training, and research in partnership with stakeholders.
Ho Technical University is a non-partisan and secular institution. Academic awards and admissions are associated with merit regardless of race, ethnicity, religious affiliation, gender, physical disabilities, and nationality. Social and academic interactions within the institution are governed by various principles like justice, fair play, respect of authority, the environment, honesty, moral rectitude, and human rights.
- Commitment to Quality
- Fair Opportunities for all and Gender Equality
- Respect for the Environment
- Competency-Based Training
Ho Technical University courses
The programs offered at Ho Technical University include:
- Bachelor of Technology, Automobile Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology, Agricultural Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology, Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Bachelor in related field or any other related fields of study with Second Class (Lower Division) and above. related fields of study with a minimum of Second Class Any other equivalent qualification
- Or any other equivalent qualification
- The student should have at least 1-year experience in the field of study
- HND Accountancy
- HND Banking & Finance
- HND Purchasing & Supply
- HND Automobile Engineering
- HND Agricultural Engineering
- HND Agro-Enterprise Development
- HND Building Technology
- HND Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- HND Fashion, Design & Modeling
- HND Hotel, Catering & Institutional Management
- HND Marketing
- HND Oil & Gas Engineering
- HND Production Engineering
- HND Statistics
- HND Secretaryship & Management Studies
- HND Computer Science
- HND Food Technology
- HND Event Management
- HND Information Communication Technology
- HND Industrial Art
I. SSSCE holders
- Six Passes (A-D) in all subjects such as Mathematics and English Language
- At least three of all the passes are relevant to the area the student wants to specialize in.
2. WASSCE holders
- Six Passes (A1-D7) in all subjects such as Mathematics and English Language plus three passes in relevant courses to the specialization.
- Should have a minimum of C6 in any of the three passes related to the area of specialization
3. DBS holders
- Four SSSCE/WASSCE Credits in Mathematics and English Language including at least three DBS passes in courses one thinks of specializing on.
4. ABCE/’O’&’A’LEVEL holders
- Five (5) GBCE credits of five (5) G.C.E and ordinary level credits in Mathematics and English Language including two G.C.E. ‘A’ Level/ABCE passes.
5. GBCE holders
- Five GBCE credits in Mathematics, Business, English and Integrated Science/Social Studies.
6. Technician part II/III holders
- Holders of four SSSCE/WASSCE credit in English Language and Mathematics.
7. Technical certificate holders (CERTIFICATE II) holders
- Passed in Mathematics, English Language, and Integrated Science including any three relevant trade courses.
8. Mature candidates
- Should not be less than 25 years of age at the time of the application
- Should pass a written aptitude test (Mathematics, English, Mathematics and General knowledge in the relevant area)
- Should pass an interview.
NON -tertiary programmes
- Diploma in Business Studies (DBS)
- Accounting option
- Secretarial option
- Statistics option
- Motor Vehicle Technician (MVT) Parts I & II
- Electrical Engineering Technician (EET) Parts I, II & III
- Advanced Fashion
- Construction Technician Certificate (CTC) Parts I & II
- Cookery II
- Certificate II
- The applicants for construction-related courses should have passed in Core Mathematics, English, and Integrated Science/Core Science including two relevant Science or Technical elective subjects.
- The Applicants for business-related courses should have four passes in General Business Certificate Examination including business communication, and English Language.
- Diploma in Sales & Marketing
- Higher Diploma in Sales & Marketing
- Advanced Diploma in Marketing Management
- Professional Diploma in Sales & Marketing Management
- The applicants are expected to have a craft or intermediate certificate or its equivalent important in the area of specialization.
- The applicants should have SSSCE (A-D) or WASSCE (A1-C6) in the relevant electives
The following info shows the fees charged for each course
- Masters of technology programs cost GHC 5,439 for first year students and GHC 5,430 for second year students.
- Bachelor of technology programs costs GHC 2,500 for 1st year students and GHC 1,305 for 2nd year students.
Higher national diploma (HND) programmes (regular)
- Faculty of engineering cost GHC 1625, 1321 and 1309 for first, second and third year students respectively.
- Faculty of applied sciences and technology cost GHC 1608, 1305 and 1294 for first, second and third year students respectively.
- Faculty of art and design costs GHC 1612, 1308 and 1296 for first, second and third year students respectively.
- Faculty of business and management studies costs GHC 1537, 1233 and 1214 for first, second and third year students respectively.
Non tertiary programmes
- Diploma in business studies (DBS) – secretarial option costs GHC 2,007.00
- Diploma in business studies (DBS) – other options cost GHC 1,975.00
- Advance fashion costs GHC 2,007.00
- EET 1 & 2, CTC 1 & 2 and others costs GHC 1,345.00
- PRE-HND (ACCESS) programmes costs GHC 1,337.00
Foreign students costs
- Bachelor of technology (B-TECH) Programmes cost USD 2,565 and USD 2,295 for first and second year students respectively.
- HND programmes cost USD 1970, 1700 and 1650 for first, second and third year students respectively.
- Non tertiary programmes cost USD 1,370 and 1,050 for first and second year students respectively.
- Other fees in Ghana cedis are GHC 162 and GHC 148 for first and second year students respectively.
You should note that:
- The fees paid are not refundable.
- The Fees are paid into A/C No. 6010220696 at any Branch of Zenith Bank.
- SRC Balances should be paid into SRC A/C No. 6010221897 at any Branch of Zenith Bank, and pay-in-slip is sent to SRC Office.
- Copies of bank pay-in slips for the Fee is supposed to be sent to the Polytechnic Cash Office so as to receive an official receipt.
- The above fees do not include hostel fees.
For more information visit the official website.
Ho Technical University academic calendar
The Ho Technical University's Senate has released an academic calendar for 2018/2019 academic session which has been approved. The calendar acts as a planning document and information source for faculty, departments, staff, and students. The calendar has class dates, drop deadlines, registration dates, and exam dates.
Ho Technical University has five hundred and forty-one employees consisting of one hundred and fifty-seven senior staff, one hundred and sixty-two senior members, and two hundred and twenty-two, junior members. There are also one hundred and sixty-five academic staff who are from academic points while three hundred and seventy-six staff members are from non-academic points.
Ho Technical University has been recognized by the Public Procurement Authority for the Meritorious performance associated with maintaining what is understood as ‘Mature stage’ of the Benchmarking ladder concerning the Public Procurement Model of Excellence Tool (PPME). The University implemented the Public Procurement Act 2003 (Act 663) for 2009-2010. The first Award received by the University was the one that Dr. Peter K. A. Agbodza, a lecturer at the General Studies and Liberal Department won in 2012 for producing the most outstanding Doctoral Dissertation.
The University has also won GHAPSA Games. For example, the Ladies Handball team has been recognized for winning Gold at the 22nd Edition of GHAPSA Games.
Finally, the University won an award of the Ghana National ET Robot Competition. The robot at the University was designed by two Electronic Engineering students.
Ho University library
The Technical University of Ho has both physical and E-library. The physical library is known as the Nunya library. The library has two structures which are old and new. The new structure is a story building that is attached to the old one. The library is made up of functional division which are;
- Circulation unit
- Collection development/acquisition unit
- Technical services unit
- Reference/Reader services unit
- Cataloging and classification unit
- E-library unit
The Office of Dean of Students is responsible for the general welfare and discipline of the students. In addition, the office ensures that the students are provided with the necessary support to help them achieve both personal and academic success. The office achieves this by collaborating with the following units:
- Student Housing and Residence
- Student Support Services
- Sports and Recreation.
- Guidance & Counselling
- Student Health Services
Consequently, the office of the Dean of students provides an environment that promotes individual expression through orientation, intellectual exchange, mentoring, counselling, and an inclusive and welcoming environment that empowers and natures all students.
The office also oversees the implementation of the University rules, policies, and regulations in order to ensure the well-being of the students.
The core values of the office are:
- Moral and academic excellence
- Care and concern for students needs
- Student responsibility and leadership
- Equal opportunities
- Environmental cleanliness
Housing and accommodation
The Ho Technical University provides all students with housing and accommodation facilities at a specific cost. The fee charged for housing and accommodation is different from the tuition fees.
The largest hostel at Ho Technical University is known as Adaklu Hall. It is a three-story building and has 22 kitchens, 88 rooms, 92 toilets, 16 power and fire rooms, 2 ironing and washing rooms and a supermarket. The other hall accommodates up to 250 students is known as Acolatse - Vodzi Hall.
The new students are often assigned to the halls and they will be understood as Junior Members. Consequently, senior students assigned to the halls will be understood as Fellows. The assignment of students into halls is the responsibility of the Academic Board. This makes the allocation fair, so all the students will feel satisfied with the allocations.
Ho Technical University admission closing date
Is Ho Technical University forms out? The answer is “yes”. The forms have been released and so you are free to apply for any course of your choice. The Ho Technical University admission 2018 closing date is set to be on 31st August 2018. The application portal will be closed on that day. Therefore, to register, visit the University's website and follow the instructions provided. You should understand that once the portal has been closed, new applications will be rejected. So make sure you register now while the portal application portal is still open.
HO Technical University contact info
You can always reach out on the following contacts:
Telephone numbers:+233 0362026456 or +233 0362028398
Physical address: Visit Ho Technical University, Ho, Volta Region Ghana.
In conclusion, it is only at Ho Technical University that you will receive the best education ever. The institution has enough resources, facilities, and qualified staff relevant for learning. The learning environment is favorable which will enable you to acquire the necessary skills required in the job market. The fees charged by Ho Technical University are the lowest in the market because it is a governmental organization. Therefore, we welcome you to come build your career with us.
READ ALSO: Ghana Telecom University Courses