YEN.com.gh earlier published a report which contained a warning from the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) concerning a list of 41 harmful cosmetic products on the market.
According to the FDA, these products when used over time, would cause adverse health conditions including kidney disorders, fertility, and others.
This warning has sparked serious debate on social media because many are the people, young women especially, who have been caught up with these cosmetic products.
What makes the above obvious is that some people who were formerly dark-skinned are now looking fair in complexion.
Interestingly, some Ghanaian celebrities are also included.
While Bukom Banku, for instance, has admitted to bleaching emphasising that he would not stop, others have denied it with all sort of excuses.
Reports also have it that some of the celebrities do not merely apply the cosmetic products on their skin, rather, they take pills and injections to attain their current light-skinned complexion.
YEN.com.gh brings to you, photos of six popular Ghanaians who used to be dark but are now fair in complexion.
1. Becca: She is known as the ‘African woman’ following the many songs she made to celebrate African beauty and women when she entered the music industry about 11 years ago.
One of her songs was aptly named ‘African woman’ in which she sang about how the African woman is a mother of nature. It was one of her best songs which had Becca showing off her beautiful black skin in the video.
However, many years after, Becca’s black skin cannot be seen anymore as she is now looking very fair, hence losing her ‘African woman’ identity.
In fact, it is a shared joke on social media that she couldn’t take part in the ’10-year-challenge’ because she feared exposing herself.
2. Akosua Vee: Also known as the celebrity fashion designer, Akosua used to be a very black woman until some few years ago that she started looking fair. She was once in the news over some bleaching allegations, but her husband, Kwame A-Plus, jumped to her defense.
3. Vicky Zugah: Since she was seen on TV some years ago, Vicky had been fair in complexion. However, her skin colour has a new look now as recent photos of Vicky show her looking completely white like a white lady.
YEN.com.gh, however, is not in the position to say whether good nutrition is what has given her the new colour or something else.
4. Bukom Banku: He has admitted that he is bleaching his skin, and the controversial boxer has reiterated that he would never stop bleaching.
According to him, bleaching is one way he sought to keep in touch with his fans, stressing that “I don’t want Ghanaians to forget me, I want to constantly be on the lips of Ghanaians so I won’t stop doing it.”
Bukom Banku, added that he would only stop bleaching for a while when he has to prepare for a fight. But as soon as the fight is over, he would go back to bleach.
5. Yvonne Nelson: Some people would not forget the ‘black beauty’ Yvonne who acted in one of Ghallywood’s nice movies, ‘Princess Tyra’, which featured others including Jackie Appiah, and Fritz Baffour.
However, now, Yvonne looks fair in complexion. When she was lambasted in the media some time ago for her looks, Yvonne said she only used a product called ‘Princess cocoa butter’ which made her look that way.
6. Asamoah Gyan: Gyan has long been accused of bleaching because after sometime, he started looking very fair in complexion. He himself shared some photos on his social media pages showing how he looked then and now. The photos show great difference in his complexion.
Ghana News Today: Latest on Hussein-Suale's Murder / High Spate of Ponzi Schemes in Ghana| #Yencomgh
Have national and human interest issues to discuss?
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.
Click here to get the latest exciting English Premier League news. Get match highlights, reports, photos & videos all in one place.