- The man who was arrested for attempted suicide said he did so on purpose
- He said that is his own way of helping Ghanaians handle pressure and get solutions to pressing issues
- The man also said some of the pressures he sought to draw attention to included forcing young men and women into marriage
- Another one is bothering married people with childbirth and how many children they should have
- The middle-aged man further revealed that he had used a similar strategy at Kejetia Market in Kumasi where he was arrested by the police
The middle-aged man who held Accra to ransom with his threat to commit suicide in the early hours of Tuesday, August 20, 2019, has told why he did so.
In a video seen by YEN.com.gh, the man, in handcuffs, said attempting suicide is his strategy of getting the attention of society to address pressing issues.
Telling why he caused such fear and panic, the man spotted with grey beard said he wanted to discourage the current trend in which young people are pressured into marriage.
He added that those who are married also face pressures from society to have children.
As if that is not enough, those who have one or two children are pressured to have more, stressed the suicide man.
This and many other reasons, according to the man, is why he climbed the tall Obetsebi Lamptey statue at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle.
He said this is not the first time he has done that, revealing that he had attempted suicide about four years ago at the Kejetia Market in Kumasi.
According to him, the strategy worked well and he got solutions to his issues, therefore, he saw that as a good thing.
Meanwhile, he has been arrested again by officers from both the police and fire service.
He has been taken to the police headquarters where he would be interrogated in relation to his action.
Faces of Ghana: Meet the Innovative CEO of Salon on Wheels | #Yencomgh
Have national and human interest issues to discuss?
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.