The Bono East Region is one of the six regions created from the pre-existing ten regions in Ghana. It borders Savannah Region to the north, Bono Region to the west, Ashanti Region to the south and Volta Lake to the east.
Bono East Region was created through the 27th December 2018 referendum vote. More than 85% of all the individuals voted in favour of the creation of this region. It is made of different ethnic groups with the Akans and Bonos being the biggest groups.
Bono East Region population and size
The region occupies 22,952km2 which is equivalent to 8,862 square miles. The total population is 1,133,768. Here is the population per district:
- Atebubu-Amantin Municipal - 132,818
- Kintampo North Municipal - 119,762
- Kintampo South - 101,494
- Nkoranza North - 82,622
- Nkoranza South Municipal -126,593
- Pru East District - 91,278
- Pru West District - 70,746
- Sene East District - 76,506
- Sene West District - 72,383
- Techiman Municipal District - 185,450
- Techiman North District - 74,116
Bono East Region ethnic groups and cultural life
The Bono East region is one of the most ethnically diverse regions in the country. However, the predominant groups are the Bonos and Akans who make up 41.5% of the entire population. The others are divided as follows:
- Mole-Dagbon - 22.2 %
- Grusi - 6.9%
- Mande - 1.5 %
- Gurmas - 12.3 %
- Guans and Ewes - 4.3%
- Ga-Dangmes - 1.2%
A majority of the inhabitants speak the Bono dialect. The dominant religions in Bono East are Bono ancestral worship and spirituality and Christianity.
List of districts in Bono East Region
How many constituencies are in Bono East Region? The region has a total of 11 constituencies. Here are Bono Region towns, districts, capitals, and executive directors.
1. Atebubu-Amanten Municipal
Atebubu-Amantin Municipal District is situated in the western part of the Bono region. It has Atebubu as the capital town while Edward Owusu is the district executive. The eight zonal councils are as follows:
The municipal borders the following regions:
- East Gonja District in the Northern Region to the north
- Ejura-Sekyeredumasi District in the Ashanti Region to the south
- Sene District to the east
- Kintampo and Nkoranza Districts to the west
The settlements of Atebubu-Amantin Municipal District are:
- Dobidi Nkwanta
- Fante New Town
- Mempeasem Boniafo
- New Kronkrompe
- Old Kronkrompe
2. Kintampo North Municipal
Kintampo North is located in the northern part of the Bono East Region. Its capital town is Kintampo and Michael Baffoe Sarkodie is the municipal chief executive. The municipal borders the following regions.
- Central Gonja District to the north
- Bole District to the west
- East Gonja District to the north-east
- Kintampo South District to the south
- Pru District to the south-east
The settlements of Kintampo North Municipal are:
- New Longoro
3. Kintampo South District
Kintampo South is located in the northern part of the Bono East Region. Jema is the capital town of the district with Kojo Nyame Datiakwa as the district executive. The municipal borders the following regions.
- Kintampo North District to the north
- Nkoranza and Techiman Districts to the south
- Atebubu and Pru Districts to the east
- Wenchi Municipal to the west
The settlements of Kintampo South are:
4. Nkoranza North District
The district is located in the western part of the Bono East Region. It has Busunya as its capital town and Kwadwo Adjei Dwemoh as the district executive. The municipal borders the following regions.
- Kintampo South and Pru Districts to the north
- Nkoranza South District to the south
- Atebubu Amantin District to the east
- Techiman Municipality to the west
The settlements are:
5. Nkoranzo South Municipal
The municipal is situated in the southern part of Bono East Region. Emmanuel Kwadwo Agyekum is the district executive and Nkoranza the capital town. The municipal borders the following regions.
- Nkoranza North District to the north
- Techiman Municipality to the west
- Brong Ahafo Region and Offinso north to the south
- Ejura-Sekyere-Dumase to the south-east
The settlements of Nkoranza South are:
- Donkro Nkwanta
6. Pru East District
Pru East is located in the eastern part of Bono East. The capital town of the district is Yeji while the executive is Joshua Kwaku Anonkra. The municipal borders the following regions.
- East Gonja to the north
- Sene East and west to the east
- Nkoranza and Atebubu-Amantin to the south
- Kintampo-North and south to the west
7. Pru West District
Pru West is located in the eastern part of the region with Prang as the capital town. Stephen Jalulah is the district chief executive while R A. Acheampong is the coordinating director. The municipal borders the following regions.
- Pru East district to the north
- Sene West district to the east
- Nkoranza South Municipal and Antebubu-Amantin to the south
- Kintampo North Municipal District and Kintampo South District to the west
The settlements of Pru East are:
8. Sene East District
Sene East District is situated in the eastern part of the region with Kajaji as the capital town. The municipal borders the following regions.
- East Gonja District to the north
- Krachi West to the east
- Sene West to the west
- Kwahu North to the south
9. Sene West District
Sene West Municipal is located in the east-central part Bono region. It is headed by Dominic Napare and has Kwame Danso as the capital town. The settlements in Sene West District are:
- Kwame Danso
- Lemu Intrubuso
- Tato Battor
10. Techiman Municipal
The municipality is located in the western part of Bono East Region and has Techiman as its capital town. John Donyina is the district executive. The settlements in this municipal are:
- New Techiman
11. Techiman North District
The district assembly is located in the western part of Bono East Region and Tuobodom as its capital town. Peter Mensah is the chief executive. The municipal borders the following regions.
- Techiman Municipality in the South
- Wenchi Municipality in the North-west
- Kintampo South District in the North
- Nkoranza North District in the North-east
The major settlements of Techiman North District are:
Bono East Region has a low population density. Individuals from this region enjoy various festive celebration such as Apoo, Kurubi and Nkyifie celebrations. The region's vegetation is predominantly forest and fertile soils.
Yen.com.gh recently reported on the different festivals in Ghana and their dates. Like any other nation, Ghana has its traditions, culture, and practices different from one religion or ethnic group to another. As a result, each group has specific dates to celebrate their heritage in event festivals every year.
These festival events have importances such as purification of gods, development planning, thanksgiving, dispute resolution, maintaining culture, rites of passage, tourism promotion, and political and national significance.