Travelling to different countries is an exciting idea for most people regardless of whether they are doing it for pleasure or business. However, for smooth travel, certain documents need to be availed. Having a valid passport is a necessity especially if you are travelling to a different country. For some, you may require a visa as well. Knowing how to apply for a valid passport is therefore crucial for any Ghanaian with ambitions of travelling abroad. Here are steps that one must follow to get a valid Ghanaian passport.
Before we get into the application procedure, understanding a few facts about these passports is important. A Ghana passport is solely issued by the ministry of foreign affairs and regional integration. These are offered to Ghanaians whose citizenship complies with the Ghanaian nationality law. The passport one gets can either be a regular, diplomatic or service passport depending on intent.
The passport is useful for travelling to any country in the world although some countries may need an additional visa. One Ghanaian is expected to be a holder of only one passport type at a time. The era of the internet has simplified things today to the point that it is now possible to get your Ghana passport online. The following Ghana passport application process will come in handy.
Online passport application process in Ghana
Online passport application was started in 2017 as a way of making the process of getting a passport efficient and effective for all. For a long time passport application process in Ghana was cumbersome and marred with a lot of corruption and middlemen interference. It got better with the introduction of Ghana biometric passport application form but some middle men still managed to have their way with this.This necessitated the need for better methods. Learning of a certified and legally accepted process of applying for a passport in Ghana is therefore very crucial. Here is how to apply online:
READ ALSO: How to fill Ghana passport form
First time application
There are certain things you need before you begin your passport application in Ghana. These are:
- Birth certificate to proof that you are truly Ghanaian
- Supporting documents including your national ID and a driver’s license
- Proof of profession. This involves getting an introduction letter from your employer if under employment you can also come with a worker’s ID. Students need a student’s ID as proof. Housewives and persons in the informal sector do not need any proof. Business owners need to produce certificates of business registration as proof.
You also need to identify the places you are to purchase your application vouchers. The online application process is meant to run concurrently with the old method until such a time that the old e will be phased out completely. The online method will ensure that Ghanaians get their passports within 5 days for the express method and 15 working days for the standard application method. The express method works faster than the standard but there will no difference in the passports offered. If you have been wondering how much is a Ghana passport then this depends with how fast you need it. The express goes for GH100 while the standard costs GH50.
Banks to pay your application voucher charges
Before starting the application process it is important to understand where you will purchase your Ghana passport forms application vouchers. There are selected main banks in Ghana from where you can purchase the vouchers. These are:
- Zenith bank
- Ghana commercial bank
- Ecobank Ghana
The process of application
Check out the following process to apply for a visa online.
- Use the following link to access the basic information https://passport.mfa.gov.gh
- First time applicants should click on new user. Register here for fresh registration. This gives you a chance to access the application form for instructions on how to apply.
- Upon filling the registration form a confirmation code will be sent to your mobile phone. This will enable you to proceed to the next registration.
- When you enter the confirmation code an email will be sent to you for final verification.
- after clicking on the confirmation link on the email, you will go back to the main login page for the application process.
- Enter the voucher code you purchased from the bank and click verify for conformation
- Make sure you have scanned copies of required documents. These are:
- Biometric birth certificate
- Police report
- Passport pictures
- Gazette when changing names or married
The online procedure has made things easier for the Ghana people. It is also applicable when going for a Ghana passport renewal. The sector responsible for Ghana passport service is working hard to streamline everything and ensure that citizens are able to get their passports in good time. This makes it easy for them to travel to other countries as identified Ghanaians.
READ ALSO: Passport Application In Ghana Goes Online By End Of Year
Ecowas passport Ghana- How helpful is it?
The Ecowas passport in Ghana was introduced with the intention of helping Ghanaians have an easy time when it comes to travelling to member countries. This is likely to enhance trade as Ghanaians can easily move through the borders without much trouble. When introduced the Ecowas passport was to run for a year alongside the ordinary Ghana passport which would then be phased out gradually.
Ghana passport visa free countries- updated list
There are countries where Ghanaians do not have to worry about having a visa for a certain number of days when visiting for whatever reason. This means that when you have a valid passport or have applied for a renewal of Ghana passport when expired, you can have a chance to enjoy your stay in such countries. You can do this later on. To start with, any ECOWAS member country will allow a Ghanaian citizen to stay in their country for 90 days undisturbed and visa free. The list below shows all Ghana passport visa free countries:
African visa free countries for Ghanaian citizens
- Benin (Visa not required for 90 days)
- Burkina Faso (Visa not required)
- Cape Verde (Visa not required)
- Côte d'Ivoire (Visa not required)
- Djibouti (Visa on arrival)
- Gambia (Visa not required for 90 days)
- Guinea (Visa not required)
- Guinea-Bissau (Visa not required for 90 days)
- Kenya (Visa not required for 90 days)
- Liberia (Visa not required)
- Madagascar (Visa on arrival for 90 days)
- Mali (Visa not required)
- Mauritania (Visa on Arrival)
- Mauritius (Visa not Required for 90 days)
- Mozambique (Visa on arrival for 30 days)
- Niger (Visa not required)
- Nigeria (Visa not required)
- Rwanda (Visa not required for 90 days)
- Senegal (Visa not required for 3 months)
- Seychelles (Visitor’s permit on arrival for 3 months)
- Sierra Leone (Visa not required)
- Swaziland (Visa not Required for 30 days)
- Tanzania (Visa not required for 3 months)
- Togo (Visa not required)
- Uganda (Visa not required for 3 months)
- Zambia (Visa on arrival for 90 days)
- Zimbabwe (Visa not required for 3 months)
Visa free countries for Ghana passport holders - Rest of the World
- Belize (Country in Central America)
- Bangladesh (Country in South Asia, Visa free for 3 months)
- Barbados (Country in the Caribbean, Visa free for 6 months)
- Bolivia (Country in South America, Visa on Arrival for 90 days)
- Cambodia (Country in Asia, Visa on Arrival for 30 days)
- Dominica (Country in the Caribbean, Visa free for 6 months)
- Ecuador (Country in South America, Visa free for 90 days)
- Fiji (Country in Oceania, visa free for 4 months)
- Grenada (Visa not required for 3 months)
- Haiti (Country in the Caribbean, Visa not required for 3 months)
- Indonesia (Visa not required for 30 days)
- Iran (Country in the Middle East, Visa on Arrival for 15 days)
- Jamaica (Country in the Caribbean, Visa not Required)
- Maldives (Country in South Asia, Visa on Arrival for 30 days)
- Micronesia(Country in Oceania, Visa not Required for 30 days)
- Nicaragua (Country in Central America, Visa on arrival for 90 days)
- Palau (country in Oceania, Visa on Arrival for 30 days)
- Philippines (Country in Asia, Visa not required for 30 days)
- Saint Kitts and Nevis (Country in the Caribbean, Visa not required for 3 months)
- Saint Lucia (Country in the Caribbean, Visa not required for 6 weeks)
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (Country in the Caribbean, Visa not required 30 days)
- Samoa (Country in Oceania, Entry permit on arrival for 60 days)
- Singapore (Country in Asia, visa not required for 30 days)
- Trinidad and Tobago (Country in the Caribbean, Visa not required)
- Tuvalu (Country in Oceania, Visa on arrival for 1 month)
- Vanuatu (Country in Oceania, Visa not required for 30 days)
There are many more countries that Ghanaians can visit in their free time without worrying about their passports.