The number of people enrolling in universities in Ghana is very high. Baldwin College is one of the colleges that is experiencing a high number of applications. The increased enrollment into universities has been facilitated by the high demand for skilled workforce in Ghana. Baldwin College provides its students with the skills and knowledge that is necessary to meet job requirements. This knowledge also helps students face challenges in the contemporary society. Therefore, if you need a good place to study, Baldwin College should feature prominently among the top choices of colleges you are considering. This article will provide you with detailed and comprehensive information about Baldwin College, programs, and entry requirements.
Baldwin College is one of the best colleges in Ghana. The institution is located in Accra-North, Accra. The primary aim of establishing the college was to transfer skills and knowledge acquired by the founder, to the current generation of youths, especially those who desire to study the sciences. The institution offers undergraduate programs which are based on science core curriculum and strong liberal arts. This provides the students with choices when it comes to professional and career development.
About Baldwin College
The founder of Baldwin College is Dr. Akwasi Achampong who is a trained medical professional. He is also the owner and medical director of Elmont Medical. He established Baldwin College with the principal aim of transferring the knowledge and skills he acquired to individuals who want to study the sciences.
The mission of Baldwin College is to be an independent and comprehensive institution that provides a value-centered education experience to its students to enhance ethical, spiritual, intellectual, and social development. The vision of Baldwin College is to become the most preferred institution that is capable of training the minds of its students to make important decisions that will shape the world.
Baldwin College is guided by its mission, vision, and policies on the code of ethics because they define the relationships of student to student, institution to the public/media, staff to student, and staff to staff. You will, therefore, acquire the skills and knowledge essential for facing the challenges of modern life. The institution offers undergraduate programs, which are based on science core curriculum and strong liberal arts.
The faculty will encourage you to search for the truth through analytical and critical thinking. This will make you strive for personal and moral growth. It will also help you develop a sense of economic, political, and social responsibility.
Baldwin College programs
The courses offered at Baldwin College are:
- Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Information Technology programme
- Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Medical Laboratory Science programme
- Diploma (HND) programmes
- ICM UK programmes
Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Information Technology programme
The program seeks to meet the emerging and existing needs of the industry through educating new IT workers concerning the current IT practices and principles, as well as its applications. In addition, the programme will enable you to obtain practical skills necessary for interacting at the technical and management level. The programme will enable you to fit in jobs that focus on the use of IT in an increasing number of new sub-disciplines such as information security, network administration, telecommunications, information systems, computer graphics, data management, and web development. The program will also provide you with a gateway into the Entrepreneurial and Information Technology environment within the community. This will enable you to be gainfully employed as an employee, entrepreneur, or a consultant.
Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Medical Laboratory Science programme
The BSc. Medical Laboratory Science programme will enable you to become a competent Medical Laboratory Technologist with high professional standing in the delivery of laboratory practice. It will also help you to be:
- able to perform in all fields of medical laboratory science or related areas of employment
- able to work as an informed professional in relation to the changing healthcare system
- capable of evaluating and constructing your own approach to medical laboratory science practice
- inculcated with values significant for serving the patient and society as a caring, knowledgeable ethical professional and enlightened citizen.
- able to obtain skills in critical observation and inquiry by getting placements in various units of specialties
- able to gain the capacity to continue as a responsible and productive member of the profession and at the same time assume leadership roles as appropriate to the society and profession.
- able to obtain a good understanding of contemporary and future public health policies, health issues, and international health rules and regulations.
Diploma (HND) programmes
The Diploma programmes offered by Baldwin College create unique employment opportunities for the students in private and government institutions, as well as training and research institutions. National Board for Professional and Technician Examinations (NABPTEX) awards the certificates associated with the diploma programmes. The institution is the affiliate body for Baldwin College. Below are the diploma programmes offered by the institution:
- HND in Medical Laboratory Science
- HND in Dispensing Technology
ICM UK programmes
The Institute of Commercial Management (ICM), was established in 1979. It is a professional body for Business and Commercial development. It is also an examining and awarding body for management and business students. The institution has been accredited to offer business and commercial courses by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation which is the UK regulatory body for publicly funded qualifications and public examinations. ICM is a non-profit organization. Its headquarters is in Ringwood, Hampshire, United Kingdom. Below are the ICM courses offered by Baldwin College:
- Accounting and Finance
- Business Studies
- Managing Health and Safety
- Marketing Management
- Hospitality Management
- Professional Computing and Information Processing
- Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations
- Human Resource Development
Baldwin College fees
The table below shows the fees charged by Baldwin College:
Entry requirements for Baldwin College
General entry requirements
There are several entry requirements for Balwin College that you must consider first.
1. SSSCE applicants
The applicants should have a pass in three core subjects (English, Mathematics and Integrated Science/ Social Studies) including three elective subjects.
2. WASSCE Applicants
The applicants should have credit passes in three core subjects (English, English language, and integrated science/social studies) including three elective subjects.
Students who want admission in the Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Medical Laboratory Science programme should have three (3) credits in the core subjects including three credits in the elective subjects (Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics or Physics).
3. Mature applicants
- Should be at least twenty-five (25) years old.
- Should be a holder of Certificate in Medical Laboratory Technician or have credits in three (3) core subjects (Mathematics, English, and Integrated Science) including three (3) Elective subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics) in SSSCE, WASSCE or Equivalent.
- Should have not less than three years working experience in a medical laboratory and should pass an entrance examination.
4. International applicants
- WASSCE/SSSCE applicants from West African sub-region should have Six (6) credits (A1-C6 in WASSCE and A-D in SSSCE) including English, Mathematics and Integrated Science.
- IGCSE/GCE (Cambridge) – ‘O’ and ‘A’ Levels Applicants should have at least Five (5) passes including English and Mathematics in the IGCSE/IB/Cambridge ‘O’ Level and three relevant subjects at the ‘A’ Levels.
5. Transfer applicants
You are only allowed to transfer from the same Information Technology programme from any University.
To be considered for the application, you need to meet the requirements of the core courses. You should also demonstrate a 2.0 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA).
How to apply
You can purchase the application form from the Osu campus as follows:
Degree (BSc.) programmes:
- GHS 100.00 for Ghanaian applicants
- An equivalent of USD 100.00 for International applicants.
Higher National Diploma (HND) programmes:
- GHS 80.00 for Ghanaian applicants
- An equivalent of USD 80.00 for international applicants.
Institute of Commercial Management (ICM-UK) programmes:
- GHS 60.00 for Ghanaian applicants
- An equivalent of USD 60.00 for International applicants.
Baldwin College admission forms can also be downloaded. You will be charged GHS 80.00 for HND programmes, GHS 100.00 for BSc. programmes, and GHS 60.00 for ICM programmes if you are Ghanaian applicant. An international applicant will be charged USD 80.00 for HND programmes, USD 100.00 for BSc. programmes, and USD 60.00 for ICM programmes at the time of submission.
After filling the application form, you are expected to attach two (2) passport size photographs. The completed application forms must be submitted in person, along with two (2) passport size photos, certificates and result slips, as well as transcripts. Make sure you submit it in person to:
The Front Desk
Baldwin College, Osu
Off the Oxford Street, first turn on the left after Photoclub.
You can always contact the university through:
Digital address: GA-082-6568
Physical address: P. O. Box 19872, Accra-North, Accra, Ghana
Baldwin College offers the best education and training when it comes to academic programs. The college provides equal opportunities to both local and international students, so bribes will not give you preferential treatment. The quality of education and training that will be provided to you will increase your chances of being employed after you have graduated.