The University of Ghana Medical School equips future medical doctors with the necessary skills to become competent doctors in future. Medicine is one of the most respected professions across the globe. People pursuing medicine courses are considered lifesavers and are given the highest respect in society. In Ghana, some of the best trained doctors come from the Ghana Medical School. It is a distinguished institution of higher learning that prides itself with producing competent doctors who work all over the world. The University of Ghana is currently the largest public institution in Ghana. It is also the best Medical School in the region. The university is competent in the area of research, especially in the medical field. It admits both local and international students on regular and distance learning basis. This article gives details on the admission requirements, fees and courses offered.
The need for medical professionals cannot be underestimated. It goes without saying that proper training is crucial. University of Ghana Medical School offers just that. The following details will be useful for any aspiring medic that wants to join the school.
University of Ghana Medical School
UG Medical School was founded by ordinance in August 1948 as the Gold Coast University College. The university was established primarily to offer higher education and research in the country of Ghana. It was the first university college to be established in Ghana under the British colony. UG Medical School has evolved and is now among the best institutions offering medicine in West Africa and the whole continent of Africa. It was accredited to offer a six-year medicine course to address the needs of both local and international students who want to study medicine. Since its formation, the university has produced prominent alumni who work in various prominent institutions in Ghana and beyond. Some notable alumni include Clifford Nii Boi Tague who served as a vice chancellor in the University of Ghana, Kwabena Frinpong. He is a renowned surgeon that was the first African to perform heart transplant. He is just but an example of many other alumni doing great things in society.
The vision of the university has always been to be an excellent research university offering solutions in research sciences and medicine. Its mission is to provide an enabling environment that will help all students to be progressively relevant in the national and international markets through research work and findings. The university currently offers undergraduate and graduates programs, which are competent as they address the immediate needs of the market. More information about the courses offered at the Ghana School of Medicine can be accessed on the official university website.
Courses offered by University of Ghana Medical School
The University of Ghana offers many competent programs, which makes the university rank among the best institutions in Ghana. Most employers trust students' from the university, especially those from the School of Medicine. Ghana School of Medicine and Dentistry offers the following programs
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
School of Medicine in the University of Ghana offers the most comprehensive programmes. This means that students are only accepted to the school if they posses the necessary qualifications to be trained as future medical professionals. Students must also prove that they are capable of paying all the fees required for the entire academic period. Apart from the undergraduate courses, University of Ghana Medical School postgraduate program is also offered with a primary aim of producing more competent life savers in Ghana.
The university also offers a distance-learning program in the form of e-learning. This program is different from the regular program, and therefore it is advisable to go to the University for consultation. The school avails Ghana medical journal archives and child health materials as primary learning resources for e-learning students. More information about e-learning can be accessed through the official site.
The University of Ghana School of Medicine fees
University of Ghana Medical School fee paying requirements must be met for anyone to be admitted at the school to pursue a medical course of their choice. Even though the University of Ghana offers the most comprehensive and excellent medicine course, its students pay less than fees compared to many other Universities in Ghana. The fees is therefore considered affordable and reasonable. The payment options are also very friendly for all students. The minimum fee payment options are as follows:
- Ghanaian students should pay at least 60% of the fees to access academic registration.
- Ghanaian students should pay at least 50% of the payments to obtain residential certification.
- International students are required to pay at least 50% of the fees to access the academic registration.
- International students should pay at least 50% of the fees to access residential registration.
All the above payments are made in respect to the first semester. All fees balances should be paid before the beginning of the second semester.
Provisional fees schedule for the 2018/2019 academic year in the School of Medicine
Fees charged for undergraduate school of medicine
These fees are prone to change therefore applicants and students should keep on checking on the portal for fees updates. The fees for graduate and postgraduate programs are also available and can be accessed through the university portal. It can also be accessed through the website.
University of Ghana Medical School admission requirements
The University of Ghana offers general regulations to all students who wish to pursue medicine. The learning period is organized on a semester basis, and units are divided in the order of their difficulty. The general requirements for enrollment at the Ghana School of Medicine are given below.
University of Ghana Medical School requirements
The University of Ghana School of Medicine announces the admission of new students to the university before the beginning of each academic year. The university has minimum requirements, which all students wishing to take various courses are supposed to meet before gaining admission into the program of choice. The minimum qualification to the school of medicine are as follows:
Entry requirements for WASSCE/SSSCE applicants
- Candidates who wish to get a direct entry to pursue a degree in medicine must have credits passes (A1-C6) in WASSCE examinations and credit passes (A-D) in SSSCE examinations. In both cases, students should prove to have passed in core mathematics, English language, Social sciences and integrated sciences. In addition to this, the applicants must have passed in at least three (3) elective subjects.
- WSSSCE/D in SSSCE applicants should have at least grade C6 passes in social studies or life skills.
Entry requirements for American high school
- All international students out of the Ghana system of education must have a minimum final grade of 3.0 to be enrolled for the undergraduate course. All admission will be made at level 100.
However, there are also specific entry qualifications for all students’ pursuing medicine and surgery. These qualifications are as follows:
- Applicants should have credit passes in English language, core Mathematics, social studies and integrated sciences.
- Applicants should also have credit passes in chemistry and any other two subjects which can be any these three; physics, biology or elective mathematics.
Admission requirements into the graduate program
Entry requirements for University of Ghana Medical School graduate program are very brief. Even so, very few applicants qualify to pursue the program. The main reason behind the stringent entry requirements is to allow only competent applicants to be given an opportunity that is well deserved. University of Ghana Medical School graduate entry requirements are as follows:
- All applicants wishing to be considered for enrollment must have a good and credible first degree in( BSc) (with a minimum of 2nd class lower division) from a recognized university in any of the following science courses: chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacy, nursing, food science, laboratory science, biological sciences, physician assistant, dietetics, radiography and physiotherapy.
- Candidates must have excelled well in WASSCE or SSSCE examinations with a minimum passes in three core subjects including core mathematics.
- Candidates should show evidence that they have undertaken and completed national service.
The graduate program runs for four years on a full-time basis. Successful accomplishment of the graduate course will lead to the award of MB ChB. University of Ghana School of Medicine is the leading producer of MB ChB students who are competent in the market.
Qualified applicants who want to pursue graduate programmes can visit the University of Ghana School of Medicine for consultation. Alternatively, eligible candidates can apply online as follows:
- Ghanaian applicants. Candidates who wish to apply should buy E-vouchers from any of the following banks:
- Eco bank
- Agricultural Development Bank
- Ghana Commercial Bank
- Merchant Bank
- Fidelity Bank
- Zenith Bank and Prudential Bank. E-vouchers are sold at GHC200.
2. All foreign applicants will be required to pay an application fee of 110 dollars in FGN-USD 162074485604301, College of health sciences. SWIFT CODE is supposed to be ECOCGHAC. The receipt of payment must be attached and uploaded as part of the application form.
All qualified applicants will be subjected to an entrance examination before admission. The examination will include two papers. That is general paper and basic scientific foundation of medicine.
How to apply to the University of Ghana School of Medicine
Applications to the University of Ghana School of Medicine is mainly done online. Here, local applicants are required to buy an E-voucher at GHC 200. E-vouchers are available in the different banks of Ghana already mentioned. An E-voucher enables a prospective applicant to apply for admission into the university.
WASSCE and SSSCE holders who apply to pursue medicine with foreign qualifications from schools recognized by University of Ghana including Faith Montessori International School, Alpha Beta, Ghana International School, Tema International School, New Nation International School, among others, are required to do the following:
- Submit their full names and contact details including phone numbers during registration by buying of E-vouchers at the bank.
- Applicants should also submit their email address at the same bank they bought the voucher. In case they lack an email address, a confirmation pin shall be sent to their phones by the bank. Applicants will be required to follow all instructions carefully to complete the registration. After filling in all the personal details, the applicant should submit the application form. The pin should be kept safe and confidential. An applicant shall need the pin to access the registration status later on.
Applicants who possess a diploma or have O or A level certificate and want to pursue a degree should attach all transcripts, certificates, and pay-in slips with the applicant's details to the University of Ghana School of Medicine. All the certificates should be scanned as one PDF document and sent online. This will help to avoid confusion or mixing of documents.
International students wishing to pursue medicine from the University Of Ghana School Of Medicine, follow an entirely different procedure.
They will not be required to buy E-voucher as for the local students. Applicants are only required to access the university link and apply.
- All international students wishing to take medicine from the University of Ghana shall be subjected to a non-refundable fee of 110 US dollars. They may pay these charges directly or transfer them to the Eco bank account for the University of Ghana.
Only applicants who have paid application fees will be considered. Eco bank account details are 0161014409780401 or 0161094409780403. International students can pay directly through these accounts. Account name should be given as University of Ghana foreign student account. Pay in slips together with student’s details including results slips, transcripts, and other certificates should be scanned and sent to the university with the application form. Getting a chance to study at the university will be based on the certificates provided.
Contact information for the University of Ghana School of Medicine
University of Ghana School of Medicine is celebrated as the first national institution to offer research and health solutions in Ghana. It is located at Karle Bu, the teaching hospital in Accra Ghana.
The address is Slater Avenue in Accra Ghana.
P.O. Box GP 4236, Accra, Ghana
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: +233 302 663062
Tel: +233 302 666987/8
You can reach out to the University of Ghana School of Medicine through any of the above contacts. You can also email or call the administration of the school which may be faster.
It is also important to note that the University of Ghana School of Medicine is among the best institutions that offer medicine in the whole of Africa. It is also the best in Ghana. If your ambition is to be the best doctor in the region, take some time and check the school out.