Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) is the number one choice for many graduates. The postgraduate courses offered are reviewed by external moderators to make sure high academic standards are maintained. Their enrolment process into various disciplines is competitive, open, and transparent. This means that only qualified candidates are selected during the KNUST postgraduate admissions exercise.
Admissions to various KNUST masters programmes and PhD courses for 2020/2021 academic year are now open. Qualified students are invited to submit their application. How do you know that you are qualified? How much will the application process cost you? Here is everything you need to know.
KNUST postgraduate admissions requirements
You will need the following:
- Attain the minimum prerequisites for the courses you want to undertake
- An e-voucher for local students.
- An active internet connection
- Softcopies of your certificates.
- A laptop or desktop
General requirements for graduate school
For you to enrol in graduate school, you have to meet the minimum requirements. The following are the general requirements for the various courses offered.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalence from a recognised university
- First Class or Second Lower-Class Division
- MPhil or MSc degree and its equivalence from an accredited institution
- Submit evidence that you have undergone sufficient training.
KNUST graduate school courses and requirements
Apart from meeting the general needs, you will be required to meet specific prerequisites before applying for some courses. The following is a list of the courses with the requirements:
Department of Crop and Soil Science
- MPhil Agronomy
- MPhil Agronomy (Crop Physiology)
- MPhil Agronomy (Plant Breeding)
- MPhil Agronomy (Weed Science)
- MPhil Agronomy (Forage Production and Management)
- PhD Agronomy
- PhD Crop Physiology
- PhD Forage Production and Management
- MPhil Crop Protection (Plant Pathology)
- MPhil Crop Protection (Plant Virology)
- MPhil Crop Protection (Entomology)
- MPhil Crop Protection (Nematology)
- PhD Plant Pathology
- PhD Plant Entomology
- PhD Nematology
- PhD Plant Virology
- MPhil Soil Science
- PhD in Soil Science
- MPhil Plant Breeding
- PhD Plant Breeding
For the above KNUST PhD programmes, applicants must have an MSc or MPhil Masters degree in relevant fields.
READ ALSO: UMaT admission 2020/2021: Fees, date, forms, portal
Department of Horticulture
- MPhil Postharvest Technology
- MPhil Seed Science and Technology
- MPhil Fruit Crops Production
- MPhil Landscape Studies
- MPhil Vegetable Crops Production
- MPhil Floriculture
- PhD Postharvest Technology
- PhD Seed Science and Technology
- PhD Fruit Crops Production
- PhD in Landscape Studies
- PhD Vegetable Crops Production
- PhD Horticulture
MPhil candidates in the courses above need a Bachelor's Degree in Agriculture, Landscaping, and Allied Programs.
PhD students need a Masters Degree in Either Horticulture, Agronomy, Biological/Environmental Science, Postharvest Technology, Biochemistry, Or Food Science.
Department of Agroforestry
- MPhil Agroforestry
- PhD Agroforestry
- Be highly motivated to work even in challenging and difficult conditions.
- You also need a research proposal which is not more than five pages.
Department of Architecture
- MPhil Architectural Studies
- Environment and Behaviour
- MSc Architecture - One Year Top-up
- MArch (Master of Architecture) - Two Years
- PhD Architecture - Four Years
Applicants need to submit a coherent and sustainable research proposal with a workable time table.
Department of Construction Technology and Management
- MSc/MPhil Construction Management
- MSc/MPhil Procurement Management
- MSc/MPhil Project Management
- PhD in Building Technology
- PhD. Construction Management
Candidates will only be promoted to the second year after satisfactory performance. Also, you need a qualification in architecture that is registerable.
Department of Educational Innovation in Science and Technology
- MPhil Art Education
- MA African Art and Culture – One Year
- MPhil African Art and Culture – Two Years
- PhD in Art Education
- PhD in African Art and Culture
- MSc/MPhil Creative Art Therapy
- MPhil Art Education (Top-Up)
- MPhil. African Art and Culture (Top-Up)
- MPhil. Education (Top-Up)
You will need:
- A good pass (60% and above) in Thesis Writing and Research Methodology
- Another pass (65% and above) in entrance examinations and interview
- 1-year classroom teaching experience
- You should have completed the National Service
- Submit a research proposal with an appropriate topic
READ ALSO: UHAS admission portal 2020-2021: Fees, requirements, deadlines
Department of Civil Engineering
- MSc / MPhil Geotechnical Engineering
- MSc / MPhil Road and Transportation Engineering
- MSc / MPhil in Water Resources Engineering and Management
- MSc / MPhil Water Supply and Environmental Sanitation
- MSc / MPhil Structural Engineering
- PhD in Water Resources Engineering and Management
- PhD in Water Supply and Treatment Technologies
- PhD in Environmental Sanitation and Waste Management
- PhD in Structural Engineering
- PhD in Geotechnical Engineering
- PhD in Highway and Transportation Engineering
- PhD in Climate Change and Land Use
- English proficiency certificate if you are from a non-anglophone country
- If you have publications in a journal, then that is an advantage.
- Evidence of current and also previous employment.
Department of Nursing
- MPhil Nursing
- MSc Clinical Nursing
Applicants in this department need:
- A minimum of two years working experience after their first degree in a relevant field such as a health facility.
- If you have a second degree, you need an additional three years of working experience.
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology
- MSc Human Nutrition
- MPhil Human Nutrition and Dietetics
- PhD in Human Nutrition and Dietetics
- MPhil Biochemistry
- PhD Biochemistry
- MSc Biotechnology
- MPhil Biotechnology
- PhD Biotechnology
- MSc/MPhil Biodata Analytics and Computational Genomics
- PhD Biodata Analytics and Computational Genomics
- MSc/MPhil Forensic Science
- Attend and pass an interview set up by NIMS Ghana and the department.
- MPhil Biodata Analytics and Computational Genomics prospective students might apply if they have not attained the minimum entry requirements. However, they will need to pass a Comprehensive test.
KNUST postgraduate courses application deadlines for 2020/2021
KNUST admission portal was open on Monday 10th February 2020. The application deadline is on 30th September 2020.
READ ALSO: UCC admission 2020/2021: forms, deadline, status
KNUST online application form charges
Regular and distance learning students should purchase an e-voucher in the following banks:
- Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB)
- Consolidated Bank Ghana (CBG)
The forms cost GHC. 250.00. International applicants do not need an e-voucher. However, they need to pay $200 on the registration portal via debit, credit card, or bank wire.
How to apply for KNUST admissions
Once you have bought your e-voucher use the procedure below:
- Go the admission portal: Use the official KNUST portal link to access the platform.
- Login: Provide the details on your e-voucher.
- Fill in the forms: Provide the required details.
- Do not forget to save your work: Tap on the Save button.
- Print the forms: Download them in a PDF format. Save them to an external storage device and print two copies.
- Submissions: Send a copy of the form together with all the relevant supporting documents to the school.
In case you need assistance, reach out using the following details:
- Physical location: Kumasi, Ashanti, Ghana
- Phone 1: +233 -3220-60444
- Phone 2: +233-3220-61831
- Fax: +233 -3220-60137
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @KNUSTKumasi
- Facebook: @KNUSTksi
- Instagram: @KNUSTKumasi
Kwame Nkrumah University of Technology and Science offers a wide array of graduate courses as listed above. You can take advantage of the ongoing KNUST postgraduate admissions by using the procedure in this write-up to make an application.
READ ALSO: University of Ghana admission 2020/2021: Forms and requirements
Yen.com.gh reported on 6th June University of Ghana admission 2020/2021 forms and requirements. The admission exercise is conducted with due diligence to ensure only qualified candidates get spots.
Therefore, it is important to know if you are qualified for the course you want to enrol in. The programs are well crafted to ensure students experience high-quality teaching and learning.
- UDS admission: forms, requirements, fees and deadline 2020
- KNUST admission 2020/2021: forms, deadline, requirements