University of Ghana (UOG) is one of the largest tertiary education institutions in Ghana. As a leading institution, the University of Ghana admission exercise is conducted with due diligence to ensure only qualified candidates get spots.
University of Ghana offers a wide range of courses starting from certificate, diploma, degree to masters, and PhD. The programs are well crafted to ensure students experience high-quality teaching, learning, and the necessary skills to conduct cutting-edge research. Below is everything you need to know about University of Ghana forms, requirements, and deadlines.
University of Ghana admission requirements
It is important to know if you are qualified for the course you want to enrol in. Below are the requirements for various programs:
- A Senior Secondary School Certificates (SSSCE/WASSCE), an International Baccalaureate (IB), GCE Cambridge A and O Levels, GCSE A-Levels, American High School Grade 12, or any other equivalent qualifications
- If you have a West African Examination Council Ordinary and Advanced Level Certificate, you won't be admitted
- You should offer three subjects at Level 100, two at Level 200 and Level 300 as well as either one or two at Level 400.
- If you are qualified, but you can't meet the stated cut-off points, then you can opt to enrol in the Fee-Paying Scheme.
- Distance School applicants need Passes in Core Mathematics, English and Social Studies/ Integrated Science, or any three Electives.
- Six Passes in all Subjects including English Language and Mathematics
- At least three Passes in General Arts, Science or Business.
University of Ghana graduate school
- A good first degree with at least a second-class lower division in a field.
- The degree should be from a recognized institution.
- A minimum of two to three years of working experience for those in Business School.
- You might be required to take an entrance examination.
- For Management Information Systems, you need two-year work experience in any IT related field.
- Social work graduates will have to write a one-page essay stating clearly their career goals.
- If you do not have the above qualifications, you might be required to take an entrance examination, an oral exam, and write a thesis.
University of Ghana postgraduate admission requirements
- A master's degree and a transcript in a relevant field from a recognized university
- Three referees' reports and their details too
- You must attach a research proposal to the application. It must not be more than four pages
- DPhil candidates should have at least ten years standing
- Post-first degree requirements
- A copy of your original certificate authenticated by the awarding school
- A copy of the original academic transcript
- Three academic referees
- A candid handwritten evaluation of yourself. Here, you should discuss the personal characteristics that you think are your strengths and your weaknesses.
- Two recent passport-sized photographs with each bearing your name. The background should be light coloured.
- Applicants will need to pass entrance exams as well as an interview
University of Ghana admission deadlines
Is the University of Ghana admission still on? Yes, it is still on for some courses. Here are the deadlines for different courses:
- Certificate courses - 31st August 2020
- Distance learning diploma - 30th June 2020
- International applicants - All-year-round
- Post first degree LLB - 30th June 2020
- Undergraduate L100 - Open until further notice
- Mature students - Opening date to be announced
- Nursing, public health, veterinary medicine, family and consumer science, bachelor of arts, administration, accounting, public admin, allied health and agriculture - Closed on 10th April 2020
University of Ghana e-vouchers and application fees
You will also need to buy e-vouchers for Legon admission forms or pay a non-refundable processing fee as broken down below:
- International students - USD 110.00
- Ghanaian applicants - GHC. 200.00
In addition to the above, post-first-degree scholars will need to pay GHC. 180.00 for an entrance examination whose dates will be announced.
You can buy e-vouchers in the following banks if you are in Ghana:
- Access Bank
- Agricultural Development Bank
- Republic Bank
- GCB Bank
- Fidelity Bank
- Universal Merchant Bank
- Zenith Bank
- Prudential Bank
- Consolidated Bank Ghana (CBG)
International students should not buy e-vouchers. They should pay an application fee to access the online application form using the following details:
- Account name: University of Ghana Foreign Students Account
- Account number: 0161014409780401
- Bank details: Ecobank Ghana Limited, Legon Branch
- Swift: ECOCGHAC
Alternatively, you can use the international transfer service to the following Ecobank accounts
If the above methods are not convenient for you, use your credit card on the GT payment platform.
University of Ghana application guide for international students
If you have fulfilled the course prerequisites, you can proceed to declare your candidature. Use the steps below:
- Open your browser: Connect to the internet. You can use a LAN connection, mobile hotspot, or Bluetooth tethering.
- Go to the University of Ghana admission portal for international application.
- Create a new account: Click on the "Create an account" button just below "New Applicant?".
4. Enter your name: Provide your last name and first name as they appear on all your academic documents.
5. Key in your email address: It should be valid as communication about your admission status will be through emails.
6. Select your nationality: Click on the drop-down arrow and scroll until you see your country of origin.
7. Set a password: Choose an easily memorable one.
8. Tap "Create Account": Confirm if the details you have entered are correct. If the details are correct, you will receive an alert.
9. Confirm your email address: Log in to your mail provider and check for new mails.
10. Agree to the application terms: As soon as the page fully loads, scroll down and tick on the "Begin Application Process" button.
11. Enter your Basic Information: This will include your name, date of birth, country of origin, gender, religion, marital status, and the number of children.
12. Fill in your address details: You will need to indicate your postal addresses and country.
13. Provide your parent and next of kin information: This is the person who will be contacted if you fall sick.
14. Save the information: Tap on the "Save and Continue" button.
15. Fill in your entry information: Specify your entry year, type, mode, and application type. Save the information and continue to the next step.
16. Provide details about your education background: Enter the highest level you have ever attained and your candidate number.
17. Program options: Enter the course you want to enrol.
18. Upload a passport-sized photo: It should be of a maximum dimension of 600px by 800px and a minimum of 100px by 100px.
19. Upload your payment slip: You can pay online via Visa or MasterCard. If you paid through a bank transfer, then tap on the "UPLOAD PAYMENT SLIP".
20. Add supporting documents: Upload all your certificates and transcripts here. Click on the "ADD SUPPORTING DOCUMENT" button.
21. Edit the entered information: Check the summary of your application, and make sure everything is correct. Edit any incorrect details.
22. Successful application: Once you complete a milestone, it will be marked with a green tick.
READ ALSO: Ghana School of Aviation: requirements
University of Ghana application procedure for citizens
Follow the steps below:
- Buy an e-voucher: Visit the banks listed above to purchase it. Obtain your serial number and PIN. Keep it safe as you will need it later.
- Go to the Ghanaian application portal: Connect to the internet and open your browser.
- Enter your login credentials: These are the serial number and PIN in the e-voucher you bought. Tap the Login button.
4. Start the application procedure: Follow all the steps in the international applicants' procedure. You need to skip the Payment section as you have already bought an e-voucher.
5. Print the documents: Once you are through with the process, have a copy of the details you entered into the portal as it will be a requirement should you be admitted.
University of Ghana admission status checker
Once you have submitted all the required details, wait until the deadline of application has passed. Use the procedure below to check whether you have been admitted:
- Navigate to the status checker portal.
- Enter your serial number or surname: You can obtain your serial number from your e-voucher.
- Tap on the search button: Be patient as the system searches for your admission details. If you are admitted, proceed to download your admission letters.
University of Ghana address
Incase you have an inquiry or complain, reach out to the school using the official contacts. You can either email, call or visit the school. Using the following contacts:
- Main campus physical location: Legon Boundary, Accra, Ghana
- Postal address: PO. Box LG 25 Legon, Accra
- Phone 1: +233-(0)302-213820
- Phone 2: +233-(0)302-213850
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: ug.edu.gh
University of Ghana admission office
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 1: 0302 213820 ext 6018
- Phone 2: 0302 213820 ext 2637
- Phone 3: 026-095-0170,
- Phone 4: 020-048-0431
- Phone 5: 020-048-0344
- Phone 6: 024-398-5001
College of Health Sciences
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone 1: 0302 665 103 Ext 231 &151
- Phone 2: 0245 107 315
College of Humanities
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 1: 0303 936 081
- Phone 2: 0303 936 082
College of Basic and Applied Sciences
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 0288 266 017
College of Education
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 050 3899 803
University of Ghana admission process is transparent. Therefore, you should not tolerate anyone who might approach you on the pretext of assisting you to gain admission for a small fee.