Madam Victoria Agbotui, the late mother of former President Jerry John Rawlings has finally been laid to rest.
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Install our latest app for Android and read the best news about Ghana
Madam Agobtui who passed away on September 25, 2020, was laid to rest on Saturday, October 24, 2020. She was buried in her hometown of Dzelukope in the Keta area of Volta region.
Before being laid to rest, a burial service was held at the forecourt of the State House where she was laid in state for mourners to pay their last respects.
Among the many to were present to pay their last respects were President Nana Akufo-Addo, Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, and Mahama's running mate, Professor Jane Naana Opoku Agyemang, among others.
After the burial service in Accra, Madam Agbotui's remains were moved to Dzelukope for a private burial.
The burial was followed by a final funeral rite was held at the Ketasco Park with former President John Mahama and others in attendance.
There were so many emotional moments captured at the ceremony both in Accra and Dzelukope.
YEN.com.gh has compiled photos of some of the emotional scenes which were captured at the burial and funeral of Rawlings mother.
1. A portrait of Madam Agobtui at the burial service:
2. Casket of Madam Agbotui draped in Ghana flag:
3. Former President Rawlings struggled with tears:
4. President Akufo-Addo and his wife, pay their last respects:
5. Rawlings and his family file past his mother's casket:
6. Akufo-Addo and Rawlings exchange pleasantries:
7. Zanetor leads Rawlings' children to lay a wreath for their grandmother:
8. Rawlings looks very sad here:
9. Soldiers coming for the casket of Madam Agbotui after the paying of respects:
10. Nana Konadu Agyemang Rawlings lays a wreath for her mother-in-law:
11. Rawlings and his family at the funeral at Keta:
Meanwhile, videos and photos have popped up showing the children of the former president at their grandmother's burial service.
The videos show three of Rawlings' four children, Zanetor, Yaa Asantewaa, and Kimathi, were present
Earlier, YEN.com.gh reported that former President Rawlings went emotional at the burial service of his mother.
The former president was so overwhelmed with emotions that he could not read his tribute. That was the reason why his daughter, Zanetor, had to read on his behalf.
A video of the emotional moment which has popped up online shows Rawlings in a sombre mood while Zanetor read the tribute.
Madam Agbotui passed away just two weeks after celebrating her birthday. Born in 1919, she turned 101 years old on Wednesday, on September 9, 2020.
Have national and human interest issues to discuss? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page