Latest

Chinese court rejects appeal in landmark #MeToo case
Chinese court rejects appeal in landmark #MeToo case
World
by  AFP

A Chinese court rejected an appeal in a landmark sexual harassment case on Wednesday, dealing a blow to the country's fledgling #MeToo movement. The country's #MeToo movement has stumbled since 2018, when a wave of women published allegations of sexual harassment against university professors.

S.Africa finalising claims as mine massacre anniversary looms
S.Africa finalising claims as mine massacre anniversary looms
Africa
by  AFP

Outstanding claims of compensation from the massacre of 34 workers at a South African platinum mine a decade ago are likely to be settled this month, an official said on Wednesday. Compensation claims directly related to miners who were killed had already been settled last year, with the state paying almost 76 million rand ($4.6 million) to the victims' families, he said.

Qatar World Cup start brought forward to November 20: sources
Qatar World Cup start brought forward to November 20: sources
World
by  AFP

The World Cup's start will be brought forward by a day to allow hosts Qatar to play the opening game, sources told AFP on Wednesday, just over three months before the competition gets underway. Moving forward the opening match will also mean changing the 100-day countdown that had been scheduled to start on Saturday, with special events across the tiny nation of 2.8 million people.