Many institutions are offering project management courses at different levels. One can pursue a certificate, Diploma, Bachelors degree or a master’s degree in project management. All you have to do is to find a good institution that offers the best project management courses in Ghana. With this in mind, it would be wise for you to know a few institutions that you might consider enrolling.
Project management Ghana institutions
- Wisconsin International University College, Ghana
- Institute for Professional and Executive Development
- Ghana institute of Management and Public Administration- GIMPA
- Entrepreneurship Institute of Training
- Kumasi Polytechnic among many others.
Most institutions are accredited by the National Accreditation Body-(NAB), Ministry of education, Ghana.
Project management in Ghana
Project management is a discipline that helps one to finish a set of activities on time and within a set budget. It entails a series of task which includes initiating, planning executing controlling and closing projects.
Project management is designed for anyone working on a project whether in a public or private institution and who see an increasing importance of proper management as component in their projects/ work.
Top institutions offering Project Management courses in Ghana emphasize that Project management is suitable for those who work at senior, middle management and entry levels of management. It is also suitable for beginners after completing Senior High School (SHS) as a start course.
Project management in Ghana has been widely customized so as to equip those running governmental or private projects with general project management skills to help them to deal with problems that may occur during implementations of varied projects. It’s applicable to any field of work, to tackle complexities at all the stages of projects, especially those with a high technological content.
In Ghana, the Institute of Project Management Professionals (IPMP), which is a Licensing and Regulatory Professional Body, incorporated under the Companies Code, 1963 (Act 179) as a private Company limited by guarantee, duly registered as a Professional Body in accordance with the provisions of the Professional Bodies Registration Decree, 1973 (NRCD 143) as Chartered Project Management Institute (CPMI) to train professionals in project management with Professional Bodies Registration No. PB 68. It is recognized by the Ministry of Education.
Ghana is rated as one of the fastest growing economy in Africa which has many projects running, crucial in both the formulation and implementation of development plans. The inability to formulate, prepare and execute projects continues to be a major obstacle to increasing the flow of capital into Ghana’s economy. Professional training in project management is needed for identification, preparation, feasibility analysis; design, appraisal, approval, organization, operation, control, evaluation and follow up to accomplish any projects masterfully.
Modern technology has incredibly impacted and changed the face of business in Ghana. As a result, project management training has become an essential part of any project, no matter how big or challenging it is.
Top institutions offering project management courses in Ghana has become pillars of strength and support that holds up the entire countries professionalism in handling huge projects. These institutions invest considerable amount of time and energy to train Project Management in order to achieve their ultimate goal; of being the leading economy in Africa.
Project management in Ghana has helped its project managers and implementers to:
- Become more predictable
- Save ample effort, time and cost
- Resolve any issues more quickly and easily
- Terminate “bad” projects
- Encourage better communication and improve team’s productivity
- Increase the chance to expand their services
- Become more focused on the project development
- Upscale the efficiency in delivering services
- Become aware of the future risks and resolve them
- Improve client collaboration
- Create healthy working environment
Project management courses in Ghana
Top institutions offering project management courses in Ghana have become more vibrant. Project Management Institutions in Ghana are spread across the country with most them based in Accra city with branches spread across the nation.
There are many institutions which are accredited by the National Accreditation Body to offer Project Management Professional (PMP) courses that are industry-recognized certification for project managers. These courses are to provide professionals with knowledge and skills to successfully manage governmental and private institutions projects and give a competitive edge within the market.
Project management courses are either classroom- based or through online platform. The curriculum is rigorous and integrates Project Management tools and concepts. The courses explore in depth the project finances, logistics, management, risks, constraints and execution to deliver the projects at the desired scope and objectives within set time-frames. Students must attend all class sessions, complete all assignments and sit for all examinations to earn the certificate at the end of the stipulated course duration.
The Course Curriculum entails:-
- Initiating a Project
- Planning Project Work
- Developing Project Schedules
- Project Cost Estimates and Budgets
- Planning Project Quality, Staffing and Communications
- Analyzing Risks and Planning Risk Responses
- Planning Project Procurement
- Executing Project Work
- Project Human Resources Management
- Managing Project Management model
- Monitoring and Controlling Project Work
- Monitoring and Controlling Project Schedule and Costs
- Monitoring and Controlling Project Performance and Quality
- Monitoring and Controlling Project Risks and Procurement
- Closing the Project
- Project audit format
- PMP Examination Application Review
Short courses in project management in Ghana
The Project Management courses duration ranges from a period of 3 months; considered as short courses for Project Management in Ghana up to four years depending on the level of certificate to be earned.
READ ALSO: WAEC result checker Ghana 2018
The project management courses in Accra and Ghana in general can be:
- Basic certificate in Project Management
- Diploma in Project Management
- Advanced Diploma in Project Management
- Bachelors Degree in Project Management
- Masters Degree I Project Management
- Post graduate Diploma in Project Management
Requirements to enroll for a project management course in Ghana
To apply for the project management professional courses in Ghana, you need to either:
- Possess a Secondary Degree (High School Diploma, Associate's Degree, or Global equivalent) with minimum of five (5) years / 60 months of unique (non-overlapping) Project Management experience, with 7,500 hours in leading and directing projects, and 35 hours of Project Management Education
- Possess a four (4) year degree (Bachelor's Degree or the Global equivalent) and a minimum 3 years/36 months of Project Management experience, with 4,500 hours in leading and directing projects, and 35 hours of Project Management Education
Fee varies from institution to institution. Averagely, for one to study a Project Management course in Ghana may require between $405 for PMI members and for non-members $555 per semester to get a PMP Certification.
Project Management Institution/ schools in Ghana
There are many institutions offering project management training in Ghana. Some are purely professional training bodies for mostly middle and senior level management. While others are universities and colleges offering Project Management as a major course. And others are subsidiaries of international universities offering mostly online course or E-learning programs for Project Management.
The project management school in Ghana includes the following but not limited to the given list
- University of Ghana - Executive Master of Business Administration (Project Management)
- Institute of Project Management Professionals programs, Ghana. - Project Management, Project Procurement Engineering, Project Financial Engineering and Project Economics.
- Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration - MBA Project Management
- Certified Learning Company Ltd, Ghana - Project Management Certificate
- The Institute for Professional and Executive Development (IPED)- Level 5 Advanced Diploma in Project Management (AdDipPM)
- Chartered Institute of Project Management, Ghana – project management certificates
- African Institute of Management – Monitoring And Evaluation of development Projects
- University of Applied Management – degree in project management
- IPMC College of Technology – Project Management Professional course
- Wisconsin International University College, Ghana – MBA, Project Management