The core business of registration and certification of Birth is to provide accurate and reliable information of the birth occurring in Ghana for the social-economic development of the country. Birth certificate in Ghana is one of the single most important document you need to have for any purpose. If you are wondering how to go about with the application progress, the necessary requirements, the following article should provide you with some clarity.
Birth registrations in Ghana dates back as far as 1888. At its inception, it was limited to the registration of deaths, especially for the expatriate workers of the then colonial government. The registration of birth was introduced in 1912 and since then it has undergone a series metamorphosis as per the number of amendments on the law establishing it. This is aimed at providing an improved delivery system.
The legalization of Birth certificate had its genesis in 1888 as the Cemeteries Ordinance, which was first amended in 1891. In 1912 it became birth, death and burial ordinance which was further amended in 1926. The final amendment occurred in 1965 that is the legislation currently in force- the registration of Birth and Death Act 301 of 1965.
As if this is not enough, the birth and death registry has embarked on further development that saw an emergence of express birth certificate in Ghana in the form of biometric birth certificate to embrace the fast advancing technology systems.
Biometric birth certificate in Ghana
In deed, necessity is the mother of all inventions. In the era of rapid technological advances, it appears majority of the Ghanaians were unaware of the biometric birth registrations until some were got up in situations that required the renewal of their birth certificate this was because the old birth certificate was not being accepted for the official purposes again e.g. Application of passports.
This together with many other reasons led them to discover that In Ghana the government had introduced an E- service payment (eservices.gov.gh / epay.gov.gh) platform, which is to facilitate electronic payment of services rendered by the government institutions. This was an official online portal that is made up of sub portals e.g. Citizen, Non-Citizen, Business and Government. These links directed an individual to various services provided by the government.
On this electronic payment platform you can apply for among other government offered services one which was a Biometric Ghanaian Birth certificate, and the payment mode was provided in the form of a visa, MasterCard or Mobile money.
Requirements for birth certificate in Ghana
As a control measure for those entitled to registration, a number of documents are required for you to obtain it. The following documents are a requirement in scanned form in order to get a Ghanaian birth certificate
- Notification of Birth /Clinical Weighing Card
- Baptismal Card
- Old Birth Certificate
- Affidavit from one of your parents (in case of a minor)
How to get the Ghanaian biometric birth certificate
Like the rest of government involved entities, a series of procedures are provided that would aid an individual in applying for the Biometric Birth Certificate
READ ALSO: How to get a Solo Parent ID and its benefits
The application the Biometric Ghanaian certificate involve about 10 steps which are as follows:
- Log in on to the online portal- eservices.gov.gh this platform consists of arrange of options which directs the user on how to maneuver it. You will be required to click on the required link.
- Click on Apply for Birth Certificate which in on top left of the online Portal. The next page, click on register/ create a new account for the new platform users. This steps directs you to a form.
- Complete the form as accurately as possible and it should be in Block letters and submit
- On completion of registration a confirmation message will be sent to the email address you provided
- You will receive a confirmation link in your email requiring you to confirm the registration. The link will lead you back to the portal.
- Click on apply for Birth certificate or BDR link. This link will lead you to instructions
- Read instruction keenly and select new applicant to commence. You will be directed to a form
- Carefully fill the forms in block letters
- Upload the required files
- Before the entire application process is complete, the mode of payment will be made available for you to make your payment.
Cost of biometric birth certificate in Ghana
It cost GHS 50 to apply for the Ghanaian Biometric Certificate and it will be ready within 14 days
This can be done at any good hospital because they have Birth and Death registry centers. Below are the costs of applying for a birth certificate in Ghana.
Cost of birth certificate in Ghana (birth registration fees)
Registration of birth when the Kid between birth and 21 days FREE
Registration of birth when the child is 22 days and 12 months ₵ 10,000 (cedis)
Application for registration of birth when the child if over 12 months ₵ 20,000
Application for registration of name within the 12 months of registration of birth ₵ 10,000
Application for Alteration in the register of birth ₵ 5000
READ ALSO: Passport renewal in Ghana
Each general search of register of birth or death ₵ 5000
Each particular search of register of birth or death ₵ 2000
Each certified copy of entry in the register of birth and death ₵ 2000
Each generalized search of indices in the central registry office ₵ 5000
Each particular search of indices in the central registry office ₵ 2000
Marking of exhibits ₵ 2000
Registration of child under 12 months FREE
How to get birth certificate in Ghana
Birth certificate registration in Ghana is quite simple; however, one has to apply for a birth certificate in order to be given one. It is very important to note that a birth certificate is not given immediately a birth is recoded, the application for birth certificate in Ghana has to undergo various stages for verifications.
Operations and activities involving Birth registrations are all coordinated at the office of the registry that is located in its capital city of Ghana, Accra.
The entire country is divided into 10 registration regions which are the political and administrative regions of Ghana. These regions are further subdivided into 110 registration Districts, which coincide with the country’s administrative local authority areas. Each registration district contain a registration office which is manned by the district registration officer who supervises registration systems through the registries and reporting centers
Monthly, the registration officers submit registration forms numbered serially to the regional office for further processing and forwarding to the central registration office, where national data is compiled.
The registration records are kept at all three levels to secure information for the development of the three levels
READ ALSO: Ghana passport - 5 things you need to know!
The following procedure is used when applying for the Birth certificate in Ghana
- The birth of every child is to be done at the district registry where the birth of the child occurs
- There is no de jure or defacto discrimination between father and mother. This therefore provides that the father’s name must be included in the birth certificate even when the parents are not married
- It’s the duty of any of the parents whether the mother or father to report the birth of the child. In cases where both of them are absent
- The owner of the premises in which birth has occurred should report. Or
- The person present at birth e.g. the mid wives, nurses or doctors. Or
- The person having charge of the child to furnish the prescribed particulars for registration.
a) The informant will be required to produce documents such as Notification of Birth card/ clinical weighing card.
b) A questionnaire or the Birth report form A, will be administered to the informant by the registration Assistant. Information collected in this form is recorded in the register of birth. The certificate is issued after registration of birth
c) Registration is free of charge from birth to a child of 21 days, after which it attracts a prescribed fee. Registration forms of those above one year old are deposited with the office of registrar of birth and death for Ghana.
d) The law established provides for late registration. It however stipulates that the birth shall not be registered upon the expiry of the 12 months except with the written authority from the Registrar of birth upon the payment of the prescribed fee.
e) A parent or child can apply of a certified copy of entry in the registry an time the need a rises. According to the Ghana Reciprocity Schedule, published by the US department of state, the individuals within Ghana must apply in person at the appropriate Registrar’s office
f) Children born in health facilities are registered by the health personnel’s at the immunization center, since hospital based registration is not possible neither is registration by mail.
Requirements for application of Ghanaian birth certificate
Applicants name (First/middle/last name) and Address
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Father’s name, Date and Place of Birth
- Maiden name of mother, Place and Date of Birth
Like with any process the legalisation of birth certificate in Ghana is very important to the socio-economic activities of the nation. With the following information, do not be left behind, register for a birth certificate and await its processing.