The African Institute of Journalism and Communication (AUCC) is a private tertiary institution dedicated to research, study and teach media and communications. Since its establishment 16 years ago, African University College of Communications admission has been seamless, as their main objective is to train Ghanaians about journalism.
Honorable Kojo Yankah, who was a former member of parliament in the fourth republic of Ghana, started the institution. AUCC’s objective was to fast-track the front to growing need of communication in the world today.
When it started, it had 60 students, and by November 2007, it had a population of 300 students. It was the certified to offer a four-year Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree program in communications. In 2010, a business school was added to help students think outside the box when they started looking for jobs.
African University College of Communications fees
The fees for the African University College of Communications are as follows:
For the undergraduate fees program also referred to as freshmen is as follows:
- Tuition fees costs GHc 1250
- Academic users fees costs GHc 30
- Examination, and ICT each goes for GHc 40 respectively
The main campus is located at the heart of Accra, with another 100-acre campus being planned to be constructed at the Winneba junction. The core values of AUCC are:
- Ethics and integrity
- Services to the community
- Embrace the African cultural values
- Creativity and innovation
- Critical and independent thinking
The institution’s symbol is the Baobab tree, which represents the institution’s confidence, vitality, energy, and strength. The black and orange colors of the AUCC represent the achievement, and the soul of Africans respectively.
African University College of Communications admission requirements
The African University College of Communications provides an exciting myriad of undergraduate programs. From visual communications to accounting, they have the best courses suited for all students. As long as a student meets their academic requirements. The entry levels for all categories of applicants are as below:
- B-2-Very good
- B2-Very good
Other requirements include:
- SSSCE: A minimum aggregate score of 24 is required to get an admission. Candidates need to get at least D (4) in six subjects
- WASSCE: Applicants with a WASSCE certificate must obtain a minimum of six credit passes in six subjects. Out of these subjects, 3 should be electives and 3 core respectively
- International students: Internationals students with qualifications similar to those of WASSCE and SSSCE may be considered for admission. They must also be proficient in English.
- GCE O and A levels: Applicants with A or O levels must have grade 6 or five O levels subjects including Arts subjects, a science and English.
- Having a diploma from a recognizable university in Ghana with final grade point average (FGPA) of 3.25 also makes you eligible to study at AUCC.
African University College of Communications admission process
To apply to study at AUCC, students are expected to follow the following procedures:
1. Contact the AUCC admissions office on +233 0506 012 705,
2. Purchase the school’s admission voucher from Cal bank in Ghana.
The cost for each admissions voucher is as follows:
- 2018 certificate courses GHc 900.00
- Executive education GHc 50.00
- Post-graduate programs GHc250.00
- Undergraduate programs for international students-cedi equivalent of $80
- Undergraduate programs for Ghanaians GHc 85.00
- You should have a copy of your birth certificate (this applies to mature applicants only)
Photocopies of certificates or result slips and two sized passport photographs. One of the photographs should be endorsed by a Lawyer, Minister of religion, Head teacher of a school, Senior public servant, or University registrar
Academic transcripts for students who were enrolled at an accredited institution. The transcript must be send directly to the registrar, African University College of Communications.
READ ALSO: University of Ghana admissions
Courses offered at African University College of Communications
Below are the courses offered at the African University College of Communications.Their various academic programs include:
- International Masters of strategic planning
- International Masters of Business Administration
- Executive Masters of Business Administration
- M.A Journalism
- BSc. Business Administration
- B.A. Communication Studies
The BSc. Administration course in accounting emphasizes on innovative, analytical and rigorous training that prepares students for the job market. Most students majoring in this program have a strong quantitative background most notably Finance, Accounting, Economics, and Mathematics. The objective is to:
- Enable students become literate in accounting, with the skills to analyze financial statements of business entities for the business and personal decisions
- Offer earners with the knowledge required to operate and set up simple accounting systems necessary for their business.
- Provide learners with the appropriate knowledge and skills for post qualification application in the real world events.
One notable alumni from AUCC is Van Vicker a renowned Ghanaian actor who has featured in numerous films both in Ghana and Nigeria. In his words, he was clear to say studying at the prestigious institution opened avenues for him. He has a well going career which has made him known in Africa and beyond.