Twenty four houses burnt in chieftaincy dispute in Tamale

Twenty four houses burnt in chieftaincy dispute in Tamale

- According to reports, the violence was between two rival chiefs

- Loads of food products were also destroyed during the chaos that erupted Thursday night

- In 2019, Abukari Mahama was installed as the new overlord of Dagbon, bringing an end to decades of violence in the region

Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in

At least 24 houses were burnt in a chieftaincy dispute in Yong Dakpem Yili, a suburb of Tamale metropolis in the Northern Region, YEN.com.gh understands.

Reports emanating from the metropolis further suggested that food products were also destroyed in the dispute between two rival chiefs.

Twenty four houses burnt in chieftaincy dispute in Tamale

Photo credit: Sumaila Samu
Source: Facebook

Women and children reportedly were forced to seek refuge from neighbouring villages, a Starrfm.com.gh report stated.

The violence reportedly erupted on the evening of Thursday, February 18, 2021.

In 2019, Abukari Mahama was selected and installed as the new overlord of Dagbon, bringing an end to decades of feuding that laid low the proud and ancient kingdom of Dagbon.

Six Ghanaians arrested in America for laundering more than $50 million in cyber fraud

“We had spent enough emotional stress, enough time, enough energy, and enough money on the Dagbon dispute,” President Nana Akufo-Addo said during his third State of the Nation Address in his first term.

The committee of eminent chiefs that mediated the Dagbon chieftaincy crisis on November 16, 2019, made a symbolic and definitive declaration that brought finality to the nearly 40-year-old conflict between the Abudu and Andani royal families.

The conflict for years slowed and impoverished every facet of progress in the entire Northern region and rattled the nation’s treasury.

In other news, six Ghanaians have been arrested in the United States of America for their involvement in cyber fraud.

The six; Farouk Appiedu, Fred Asante, Celvin Freeman, Lord Aning, Sadick Edusei Kissi, and Faisal Ali have been charged for laundering more than $50 million.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, (FBI) says four of the accused had between them controlled more than 45 bank accounts in which more than $50 million had been deposited.

Election petition: Supreme Court cites Dominic Ayine for contempt

The $50 million had been deposited between 2013 and 2020. According to a report sighted by YEN.com.gh, the six were arrested in different states at different times.

Freeman and Ali were arrested in New Jersey, Asante and Aning were arrested in Virginia, Appiedu was arrested in Queens, while Kissi was arrested in Fargo, North Dakota.

Audrey Strauss, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, and a host of others announced the arrests of the six for charges in connection with their roles in a fraud and money laundering conspiracy based in Ghana involving the theft of tens of millions of dollars.

The crimes perpetrated by the Enterprise consisted of frauds, business email compromises, romance scams, and fraud schemes related to the novel coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic.

The court document added that the objective of the Enterprise’s fraud scheme was to trick and deceive businesses into wiring funds into accounts they controlled.

I regret Kasoa gun shooting incident; wished it never happened - Hawa Koomson

Enjoy reading our stories?

Join YEN.com.gh's Telegram channel!

Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news!

Source: Yen

Online view pixel