Are you considering applying to the University of Professional Studies, Accra, and you want to know more about UPSA courses? The institution has some of the best courses in the fields of Business, Accounting and Finance in the country. Students who have gone through the citadel of learning are happy considering the conducive learning environment and the practical approach with which learning activities are carried out.
Is UPSA a private university? The university started as a private, professional business education college before the Government of Ghana took over in 1978. Over the years, it has expanded to create room for more courses.
As a fast-rising budding university in Ghana, the UPSA courses offered are highly marketable after satisfying the National Accreditation Board of Ghana. Here's everything you want to know about the courses offered at UPSA, whether at diploma, degree, or postgraduate level. You should know everything to make an informed decision.
Below is a comprehensive list of the courses available at the University of Professional Studies, Accra:
READ ALSO: KNUST admission 2020/2021: forms, deadline, requirements
UPSA diploma courses
UPSA diploma courses have morning and evening classes. The diploma courses offered center around the fields of Business, Finance and Accounting. Here are the specific courses currently available at the institution:
- Diploma in management
- Diploma in public relations management
- Diploma in information technology management
- Diploma in accounting
- Diploma in marketing
UPSA Undergraduate degree programs
Below is a list of the undergraduate degree courses
- Bachelor of science in accounting
- Bachelor of science in banking and finance
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelors of arts in Public Relations Management
- Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science
UPSA postgraduate programs
If you are considering learning at the institution, the following are UPSA postgraduate courses.
- MBA in Accounting and Finance
- Master of Business Administration in Corporate Governance
- Master of Business Administration in Marketing
- Master of Business Administration in Petroleum Accounting and Finance
- Master of Business Administration in Total Quality Management
- Master of Philosophy and Master of Science in Leadership
- Master of Business Administration in Auditing
- Master of Business Administration in Internal Auditing
Other professional programs that the institution offers include the following:
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) UK
- Institute of Chartered Accountants Ghana (ICAG)
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA) U.K.
- Association of certified chartered accountants (ACCA)
UPSA admission requirements 2020
Do you plan to pursue an admission at the university? Find out about the requirements based on the chosen course you want to study.
Admission requirements for diploma programmes
Based on the management's decision on their diploma programmes, the requirements for UPSA admission 2020 are explained below:
- If you are applying with G.C.E. Advanced level, before you can be considered for admission, you must have passed in any two subjects at the G.C.E.‘ A’ level plus a have a general pass in the paper. Also, you need at least Grade 6 in five subjects, which should include Mathematics and English as well as any Science subject at the G.C.E.‘ O’ level.
- WASSCE applicants must have a grade between A1 and D7 in the following three core subjects: English, Mathematics, and Integrated Science. They must also have at least credit passes between A1 and C6 in any three elective subjects related to the applicant’s fields of interest.
READ ALSO: UDS admission: forms, requirements, fees and deadline 2020
- SSSCE/GBCE applicants must have at least credit passes from grade A to D in three core subjects including English, Mathematics and Integrated Science in addition to credit passes in any of the three elective subjects related to the area of specialization of the applicant.
Admission requirements for undergraduate programs
- You need at least credit passes in the grade range A1 to C6 if you are applying with WASSCE.
- Grade range between A and D is expected from those using SSSCE/GBCE. It must include three core subjects, including English, Mathematics, and Integrated Science as well as three elective subjects with an aggregate score of 24 or better.
- Certificate 'A' or a diploma in Education is compulsory for those applying with a post-secondary Teacher certificate. But then, this must be from an accredited learning institution in the country.
- If you are using the WAEC General Certificate of Education Advanced Level, you are expected to have passed three subjects, and any of them must have, at least, grade D or better with a plus in the General paper. You should also have credit passes (Grade 6) or even better in five subjects, including English, Mathematics and any Science subject at the G.C.E.' O' Level.
- Anyone applying with a professional qualification must have completed the first level in any of these professional bodies: ICSA, C.I.M., CIMA, ACCA, ICAG, and C.I.B.
- A full diploma certificate with passes in five subjects, two of which must be grade D or better, if you are with the Advanced Business Certificate Examination. At the same time, you need a pass in six subjects, including English, Mathematics, Integrated Science in the GBCE, SSSCE, or WASSCE for you to be eligible to apply.
- Applicants with a Higher National Diploma with at most Second class (Lower Division) awarded by NABPTEX in the related field of study are also legible for the UPSA online course registration. The applicant, however, must also have a 2-year post HND qualification working experience.
- Applicants who have a university or tertiary diploma in Ghana accredited by the National Accreditation Board in programs relevant to the field of study offered in the institution must have a Final Grade Point Average of at most 2.49.
- For GCSE or Cambridge GCE ‘O’ and ‘A’ Level applicant, must have at least five passes in subjects including English and Mathematics at the GSCE/Cambridge ‘O’ level and three relevant subjects at the ‘A’ level.
READ ALSO: Knust distance learning courses in Ghana
Mature applicants for UPSA January admission must satisfy the following requirements;
- Attained the minimum required age of 25 years before 1st January.
- They must provide evidence of age by carrying a birth certificate with a minimum of five years old at the time of application.
- They must also have three years’ work experience with a letter of appointment from the employer and proof of employment in the form of contract or payslips.
- They are also expected to possess at least five passes in five G.C.E.‘ O’ level in subjects including English and Mathematics. For WASSCE or SSSCE/ GBCE holders, at least grade C6 or grade D respectively in five subjects, including Mathematics and English, is compulsory.
- Lastly, they must pass a Mature Student’s Entrance Examination and a selection interview.
Is UPSA admission over?
Depending on the course that you are applying for, the following are UPSA admission deadline for 2020/2021 academic year:
- If you are applying with a Diploma/HND/Professional certificate, admission closes on Friday, 26th June, 2020.
- Prospective students applying with 4 years LLB can still do until Monday, 15th June, 2020.
- Those applying with WASSCE, admission application closes on Friday, 28th August, 2020.
- Postgraduate (MPhil/MBA/MSc/MA) students have the opportunity to apply until Friday, 26th June, 2020.
- Also, Postgraduate (Sandwich) applicants can only apply until Friday, 26th June, 2020, while Postgraduate (Distance Learning) have until Saturday, 15th August, 2020.
- Lastly, for Postgraduate (PhD), the deadline for applying for admission has been postponed until further notice.
If you have inquiries that you may want to make about, you can visit UPSA student portal. The online platform is available to both current and prospective students. With it, you can check your admission status, register courses if you have been admitted, check results, and also pay fees. UPSA admission fees include the residential facility, academic facility user fees, and miscellaneous charges.
READ ALSO: Multimedia Institute of Ghana courses and fees
Does UPSA offer public administration?
No. The University of Professional Studies does not offer the course. However, there are other exciting courses that you can choose from based on what the institution provides.
How are UPSA fees disbursed?
If you are a weekend school student, you can pay the necessary Academic Facility User Fees at Ecobank. But if you are a mainstream student, depending on what is stated in your admission letter, you can either pay at Ecobank or Access bank using your Student Identification Number contained in your pay-in-slips.
From there, you will need to visit interpayafrica.com or upsa.edu.gh to complete the disbursement of fees that you already made at the bank. However, you should bear in mind that any academic facility user fees that you pay through the Ecobank interpay platform cannot be disbursed. Also, registration can only be made after, at least 24 hours that you paid.
If you have any difficulty, you can visit the Students Account Office with your Ecobank pay-in-slip for further assistance.
UPSA is one of the reputable institutions in Ghana. As a fast-rising Ghanaian university, the UPSA courses offered are highly marketable. You should find a course among various options available there to achieve your goal if you are looking forward to studying at this citadel of learning.
- UMaT courses and fees 2020-2021: short, postgraduate and more
- Accra Technical University courses and cut-off points
- iCampus login, registration, student portal