At its inception in November 1967, Sunyani Technical University was a technical Institute. It was upgraded to the status of a University in January 1997. This upgrade aimed to ensure the institution is providing career-focused training at tertiary level.
Since its incorporation, the university has experienced tremendous growth regarding student population, and the amount of space it occupies.
Sunyani Technical University programmes
The institution has set itself apart to provide Non-tertiary programs in technical and vocational courses, higher national diploma (HND), and Bachelor of technology degree program. Sunyani university main objective is to:
- Offer opportunities for publication of research findings, applied research, and skills development
- Provide tertiary education in different fields such as applied social science, science technology, commerce, manufacturing, applied arts, and any other course which has been approved by the Ministry of Education.
The supports staff at this institution has pursued all avenues to ensure the training they provide to students help them in their future livelihoods. Some of the core values that have been inculcated in them include:
- Professionalism-where they open the world of ethics to students
- Responsiveness-Students who go through this institution have the advantage of learning from communalism and a diverse area of studies.
- Competitiveness- Students are thought on the importance of furthering their education to an advanced level
- Competence-Lecturers generate innovative methods, which help students to make the world a better place.
- Excellence- Involves generating of knowledge for the good of the community and personal level.
List of courses at Sunyani Technical University
1. Department of pharmacy technician
It is a newly formed department at the university under the faculty of applied sciences and technology. The course was introduced during the 2014/2015 academic year’s with45 students. Those who go through this school are trained to become pharmaceutical technologists.
Among their primary objectives are:
- Give diploma holders a chance to advance to the status of a pharmacist
- Train students to acquire entrepreneurial skills
- Ensure students get sufficient knowledge for quality dispensing of drugs
For this program, the department targets graduates, mature students, and WASSCE/SSSCE holders. Currently, the department runs on the HND pharmacy technician program. Its object is to offer enough knowledge and skills needed to work successfully on the dispensing practice.
During their internship period, students are expected to provide services in different parts of Ghana. Once completing the course, they are likely to work at dispensing, chemistry, and manufacturing laboratory. Some get jobs at a non-governmental organization, education institutions, pharmaceutical industries, community pharmacies, and government or private hospitals, and clinics.
2. Department of hospitality and tourism
This program started when it was still a technical institute with 30 girls admitted to do the course. In addition to doing the course back then, students also had the opportunity to do pre-domestic science that included a variety of subjects such as English and Mathematics, basic science, needlework, textile, and clothing.
This department aims to train students to:
- Academic programs
- Develop and manage tourist sites effectively, and efficiently
- Plan economic operations and operate hotels, and other hospitality establishments profitably
- Supervise (or personally handle) restaurants, and bar activities efficiently
- Efficiently handle accommodation in hotels, hospitals, and other similar establishments
- Produce nutritious Ghanaian and continental dishes
- Meet the needs of hospitality
The department also offers both tertiary and non-tertiary proms. For tertiary programs, they provide:
- Higher national diploma in the hotel, catering, and institutional management
- Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech), in hospitality and tourism management
Their non-tertiary programs include pre-HND, cookery part 2, and COTVET.
3. Department of General Agriculture
Established in January 2006, this department was accredited to provide courses leading to a certificate in the higher national diploma (HND). As years go by more students are enrolling in the program with 46 different courses being covered in the six semesters.
The department has gone a notch higher with their level of educating students and came up with two production sites. The demonstration farm is near the E.K. Agyei library, where production of vegetable and poultry is done. Duayaw-Nkwanta farming village is where goat breeding and arable crop production is carried out. During the 2015 congregation, the overall best student came from this department. General agriculture is one of the most respected programs offered at Sunyani.
The program focuses on achieving the following objectives:
- Provide students with training on how to plan, implement, and evaluate agriculture programs in animal science, horticulture, agroforestry, and crop production.
- To lay a strong foundation for studying agriculture at higher academic levels
- Impact on the current state of the art knowledge on how to enhance crop production, and animal productivity
- Inculcate research and information dissemination skills to trainees through extensions, workshops, and seminars
- Providing students with field trips and internships that will help them acquire hands-on experience
- Help trainees develop the spirit of entrepreneurship
- Assist students to develop sustainable methods on how they can employ practically sales and marketing for agricultural produce
4. Department of computer science
The department is well-equipped with computer laboratories, to assist students during classes and practical’s. Under this department, one can choose different programs such as COTVET non-tertiary computer programs, pre-HND in computer science, HND information and communication technology (ICT), and HND computer science.
The department’s primary aim is:
- Train student on how to assemble computers
- Impact students with knowledge on how to deal with issues of information security
- Train students on how to develop software
- Teach students about designing and management of computer and mobile networks
- Train students in the areas of information management
- Give students training on how they can implement and plan IT systems
To enhance its various fields of learning, the department plans to introduce Android, and JAVA programming together with some new short courses. They also want to create two research centers, and the assembling of hardware, and software development. Under the Department of Mathematics and statistics, they plan to seek accreditation to run courses in Mathematics and Statistics.
Sunyani Technical University entry requirements
Prospective candidates who would like to pursue either a degree or diploma program are being invited to join Sunyani. Sunyani Technical University admission forms are available for the degree/HND programs for the 2018/2019 academic year. Below are the requirements for their different degree programs:
Bachelor of Technology (B-Tech) in collaboration with Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
- To be taken into the Pre-B-Tech program, an applicant should at least have one of the following qualifications:
- CTCIII certificate part 3 (CTCII-old scheme)
- CTCIII certificate part 3 (CTCIII-new scheme)
- Candidates also need to hold good HND results most preferably a second-class upper division or better in allied programs or building technology. Having at least two years relevant post HND qualification experience puts you at a better place t into the program.
- Applicants who have a second-class lower division undergo an interview which they must pass before being considered.
The course runs for a period of 18 months consisting of three semesters.
Bachelor of technology in accounting
This degree program is offered for both regular students, and those who want to have weekend classes. Students who want to pursue this course need to meet the following:
- HND accountancy applicants should be holders of HND accountancy certificate
- To study advanced diploma in computerized accounting, an applicant should have 7 passes, or more papers of CIMA, ACCA, ICAG, or equivalents
- For a first degree, applicants should be holders of NAB accredited degrees, who will also be interviewed
- Advanced diploma in computerized accounting requires holders of professional diploma in computerized accounting with passes of WASSCE (A1, C6), and (SSSCE A-D). In addition, they need the three core papers of Social Studies/Integrated Science, core mathematics, and English language.
This program runs for 18 months that are made up of three semesters. To undertake successfully any of their courses, you need to meet Sunyani Technical University cut off points.
Bachelor of technology in procurement management
To successfully be part of this program, an applicant needs to have a HND with second class division, or if not, you must satisfy all the conditions needed by the institution.
- First degree graduates from other disciplines or fields must apply
- HND graduates from other disciplines with a qualification that is not lower that a second-class lower division can apply. They need to have at least five years of working experience.
- Applicants having a diploma in procurement and supply from the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS UK), qualification may apply
- A candidate must have a HND in procurement supply chain management, purchasing and supply, stores management, freight forwarding, and logistics, or its equivalent
Sunyani Technical University application follows certain criteria for students since its inception. For their HND programs, admission is opened to:
- Diploma in business studies applicants who hold the certificate with a credit or distinction from GES accredited institutions are eligible for admission. They can study any business related course offered at the institution, while those with a pass can enroll at level 100. In all cases, those applying should have four credit passes in WASSCE/SSSCE/RSA II including Mathematics and English
- Post teacher training certificate applicants must have the final post-secondary teacher training examination plus five passes at the GCE O’ level/SSSCE/WASSCE including Mathematics and English
- Technical school applicants with passes in Integrated Science, Mathematics, and English language plus three elective subjects may apply
- Advanced level holders who got at least five credits at the GCE O’ level including Mathematics, and English can apply.
- WASSCE holders with credit passes (A1-D7) in Social Studies, Mathematics, and English with credit passes (A1-C6) in three elective subjects are invited to apply.
- SSCE holders with credit passes (A-D), in Social Studies, English, and Mathematics can also apply.
Sunyani is one of the technical universities in Ghana offering mature applicants an opportunity to further their studies. The following are the requirements that need to make them eligible:
- They must show proof of date of birth with a national document which is at least five years old at the time of application.
- Must have and show proof of passes in Mathematics and English language in WASSCE/SSSCE
- They must have at least two years relevant industrial experience
- Must be at least 25 years and older
Mature candidates are expected to pay an additional fee of GHc 50.00 before or on the day of the entrance examination at the University’s main campus. It is important to be up to date with your admission status to avoid inconvenience on the date of reporting. Check out their portal for the fee strusture
Sunyani Technical University offers unparalleled levels of learning to students, while preparing them for the job market.