The National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ) is a yearly science and mathematics-based national contest for senior high schools in Ghana. Schools try their best to excel at the contest because they know when it comes to enrollment, new students will want to know which school has won the most NSMQ.
Over the years, the quiz has become more competitive. Winners get the bragging rights and a solid foundation for students who intend to have careers in fields of science or mathematics.
Which school has won the most NSMQ?
The NSMQ has existed since 1993, but only a handful of schools have managed to win the annual quiz. It should not come as a surprise that schools that have won NSMQ are ranked among the best overalls in Ghana.
1. Presbyterian Boys' Senior High School (PRESEC) – 6 (1995, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2020)
Presbyterian Boys' Senior High School is one of the schools that have won the most NSMQ. The institution increased their tally to six when they won the quiz in 2020, thus setting them apart from the rest. PRESEC has produced great personalities likes:
- The former head of state F. K. Akuffo
- Actor Augustine Abbey
- TV personality Kwaku
2. Prempeh College, Kumasi – 4 (1994, 1996, 2015, 2017)
The inaugural NSMQ contest was won by Prempeh College in 1994. The school claimed the bragging rights again in the years 1996, 2015 and 2017. They have established themselves to be among the best NSMQ contestants, but their lack of consistency is what has caused them the number one spot.
That said, they are still a force to reckon with in matters education. The school has also produced important dignitaries such as:
- Kwesi Ahwoi
- Kwabena Duffour
- Former president J. A. Kuffour
3. St. Peter's Senior High School, Nkwatia – 3 (2000, 2005, 2018)
The dawn of the millennium saw new champions crowned as St. Peter's Senior High School in Nkwatia won the quiz for the first time.
They won again five years later and took them 12 years for them to be crowned champions in 2018. The Catholic school is eagerly in search for a fourth title that will tie them at number two with Prempeh College; hence a fierce rivalry should be anticipated in the next quiz.
4. Opoku Ware SHS – 2 (1997,2002)
Opoku Ware Senior High School is the first of four schools that have claimed the NSMQ title twice. The Kumasi-based all-boys school were NSMQ winners in 1997 and 2002. Since then, they have been in search of their lost glory in vain.
Opoku Ware is still one of the best schools in Ghana and has produced people like:
- Former NDC Minister of State Prof. Kwamena Ahwoi
- Minister for Food and Agriculture Dr Owusu Afriyie Akoto
- The current head coach of the Ghana Black Stars Akwasi Appiah
5. Achimota School – 2 (1998, 2004)
The institution was formerly known as Prince of Wales College and School and later rebranded to Achimota School. It has bagged the NSMQ prize twice.
The first time they became champions was in 1998 and 2004. The school has a rich history having been founded in 1924 and educated African leaders such as:
- Kwame Nkrumah
- Jerry John Rawlings
- John Evans Atta Mills
- Edward Akufo-Addo
6. Mfantsipim School – 2 (1999, 2014)
Mfantsipim is an all-boys boarding school found in Cape Coast, Ghana. It highlights a trend in which boys' schools continue to excel in sciences and mathematics as opposed to girls' schools. The school has won the NSMQ in 1999 and 2014 making it one of the top schools in Ghana.
It has a decorated list of alumni who include:
- 2001 Nobel Peace Prize laureate and former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan
- The former prime minister of Ghana Kofi Abrefa Busia
- Renowned writer Kobina Sekyi
- Former vice presidents of the Republic of Ghana Kow Nkensen Arkaah
- Paa Kwesi Amissah-Arthur
7. St. Augustine's College – 2 (2007, 2019)
How many times has Augusco won NSMQ? It has taken the title twice. The first time they won the quiz was over a decade ago in 2007 and 2019. Notable alumni of the school include:
- Ghanaian poet and novelist P. A. K. Aboagye
- Former international soccer stars Junior Agogo
- Michael Essien
- Retired sprinter Kenneth Andam
8. Ghana Secondary Technical School – 1 (2012)
Ghana Secondary Technical School gained their NSMQ triumph in 2012 for the first time and have not managed to repeat the same. The science and technology-oriented institution is the third oldest high school in Ghana. The school has produced people like:
- NASA aerospace engineer Ashitey Trebi-Ollenu
- Former minister for mines and energy Fred Ohene-Kena
- Football player Augustine Ahinful
9. Adisadel College – 1 (2016)
2016 was the year Adisadel College claimed the bragging rights as NSMQ winners. The Anglican boys' boarding school is found in Cape Coast. In 2003, Africa Almanac ranked it at number 10 out of the top 100 best high schools in Africa. The school has produced alumni such as:
- Philosopher William Emmanuel Abraham
- Head of state of Ghana and leader of the military government in 1969
- Footballers Samuel Appiah and Ibrahim Ayew
10. St Thomas Aquinas Senior High School – 1 (2013)
The 2013 NSMQ saw the crowning of new champions who were none other than St. Thomas Aquinas Senior High School. It is a public day senior high school for boys found in the Osu district of Accra in Ghana.
It was established to educate boys whose parents could not afford to send them to boarding school. The school prides itself in alumni such as:
- Footballer Laud Quartey
- Shatta Wale
- Lynx Entertainment DJ Vyrusky Kofi Amoako
- Bishop of the Anglican Diocese of Accra Rt. Rev. D. S. M. Torto
11. Pope John Secondary School, Koforidua – 1 (2001)
Pope John Senior High School and Minor Seminary had the honours of being NSMQ champions in 2001. The institution is found in Effiduase, Koforidua, in the Eastern Region of Ghana. The school's distinguished alumni include:
- Archbishop Charles G. Palmer
- Former minister of communications Edward Omane Boamah
- Minister for Information Kojo Oppong Nkrumah
Presbyterian Boys' Senior High School is the only school that has won the quiz for consecutive years hence they will be confident of defending the title. That said, the question of which school has won the most NSMQ cannot be comprehensively answered without the mention of Prempeh College and St. Peter's Senior High School. Those will be the schools to watch as the National Science and Maths quiz results for the next edition will be announced.
Yen.com.gh shared on 9th September a step-by-step guide on how to use the UG MIS Web student portal. The portal contains exclusive academic databases that are readily accessible for both prospective and continuing learners.
Through the portal, new and continuing learners can now inquire, register, pay fees, and access all vital information concerning their academics. UG scholars can now achieve their academic goals in the comfort of their homes.