If you have ever organised a party, whether a casual or social gathering, finding the most suitable drinks for your guests can be quite a challenge. This is because you can’t ask each one of them their favourite beverages. Therefore, it is usually much better to go with a wide variety. However, if you don’t have a big budget for drinks, why not try out something that is loved by many people in the country? Learn how to prepare sobolo for your guests, and they will remember your party for a long time.
Sobolo is made from rosella or hibiscus leaves that have been dried and crushed. The primary ingredient can vary from one country to another. The drink also takes different names in different countries. What is constant is that you can prepare sobolo with a flavouring of your choice. Some of the most common flavours are pineapple, vanilla, lemongrass, among others.
How to prepare sobolo with pineapple in Ghana
Pineapple is one of the most preferred flavourings for sobolo in Ghana because of its rich taste and beautiful colour.
You will require;
- One cup of dried Hibiscus leaves
- Five cups of boiling water
- Three tablespoons of sugar
- One cup fresh pineapple juice
- A half a cup of ground ginger
- Pour four cups of water in a cooking pan or electric kettle and bring it to boil
- Pour the hot water in a bowl and place in the dried hibiscus leaves
- Leave them to sit for a minimum of about 45 minutes. You can add in pineapple chunks or clean peels, if available
- Remove the leaves once the brew attains your preferred shade of red
- Boil a cup of water and pour in 3 tablespoons of sugar
- Stir continuously until all the sugar dissolves
- Pour in one cup of fresh pineapple juice
- Stir the mixture thoroughly
- Add in the sobolo extract and whisk together thoroughly
- Leave it to cool for about 2 hours. Don’t cover it
Once your drink has cooled down, it is now ready for serving. While the above measurements are for serving fewer than five people, feel free to prepare more cups of sobolo depending on the number of people you are serving.
Benefits of sobolo drink
Sobolo drink, in addition to being so tasty, also contains medicinal properties as it contains several ingredients that are essential to the body. Some of the health benefits of Sobolo include;
- It helps to keep your blood pressure regulated: Sobolo is thought of as essential to lower chances of high blood pressure because of the anti-inflammatory nature of the Hibiscus plant.
- Helps in cutting cholesterol levels in the body: the availability of antioxidants in the Hibiscus plant help in lowering the bad cholesterol (LDL) in the body.
- Reduces menstrual cramps: if you experience pain due to cramps while menstruating, sobolo can help ease that pain. The drink can balance hormones and not only take away the pain that comes with menstruation but also prevent depression, mood swings and overreaction.
- Aids in weight control: Hibiscus tea improves the functioning of the bladder and bowel. This, in turn, promotes effective digestion which is essential in weight control. It is also helpful to those suffering from constipation.
- Helps diabetes patients in controlling sugar levels: sobolo drink helps maintain the level of sugar in the blood. However, avoid using sugar in your drink if you have diabetes.
Side effects of sobolo
Despite the positive effects of sobolo, there are a few side effects associated with the drink. They include;
- It affects pregnant women: Are you wondering if sobolo is good for ingestion during pregnancy? Well, sobolo negatively affects pregnancy. The ability of the Hibiscus plant to lower estrogen in the body may lead to complications during pregnancy. You are advised to avoid sobolo drink when you are expectant.
- Hangovers: you may feel light-headed after taking the drink.
- Not good for low pressure: For people with low blood pressure, sobolo tends to lower the blood pressure even further.
- Not ideal for cancer patients: the sobolo drink may negate the effects of chemotherapy. If you are undergoing chemotherapy, you are advised to keep off sobolo.
Knowing how to prepare sobolo drink the right way is essential for you to make a statement at a party or to get its full effects. However, it is also necessary to know the pros and cons of the drink before you decide whether to consume it or not. With this guide, you should be able to make one of the best sobolo drinks.
Disclaimer: All the information contained in this article is not implied or intended to be a substitute for any professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content including text, images, graphics, and information contained on or available through this page is for general information purposes.