"Friendship with vigilance" is Ghana Immigration Service's slogan and the term truly reflects their pivotal role in security and immigration management. It is a corporate institution under the Ministry of Interior with the primary responsibility of regulating examination and authorization of the application for visas, entry and residence permits in Ghana. Of course, staff are required to satisfy the rising immigration needs, and that is why many people look forward to the Ghana Immigration Service recruitment. The drive avails numerous opportunities for interested applicants. What is your preferred position?
Ghana’s rapid economic expansion in the 1950s saw the country experience a massive influx of foreigners that necessitated the establishment of independent immigration service. Today, with cross-border movement and expatriates setting up base in the country, the immigration department has a more integral role in maintaining the country’s sanity.
The Ghana Immigration Service recruitment drive seeks to equip the government institution with sufficient workforce for efficient services. Therefore, you ought to understand the application process and familiarise with the minimum requirements for these open slots. What are the available jobs and the salary ranges?
Ghana Immigration Service background
Ghana Immigration Service is a government agency that is placed under the large umbrella of the Ministry of Interior in Ghana. In the past, however, GIS was called the Immigration and Passport Unit of the Gold Coast Colonial Police Force.
When Ghana was finally freed from colonial domination, the prospects that freedom brought led to rampant immigration. Therefore, Ghanaians required a separate government department to carter to their immigration needs.
The entire transfer process took some time since its beginning by a cabinet decision in 1960 to transfer the Immigration Unit to the Ministry of Interior as a separate entity. In 1963, immigration operations were given sufficient legal backing by the Aliens Act.
In November 1989, by PNDC Law 226, the Immigration Department was successfully transformed into a Parliamentary Service. Up to date, the Ghana Immigration Service remains the only Ghanaian entity with the power to regulate and monitor entry, residence, employment, and exit of non-Ghanaians from the country.
Further, the immigration Act 2000, Act 573 expanded the institution’s function and clearly defined their regular duties. Among the most prominent in the institution’s roles are Indefinite Residence and Right of Abode facilities.
Ghana Immigration Service recruitment requirement
Are you looking for the latest news about Ghana Immigration Service recruitment? Indeed, the institution's rare job opportunities are highly sought after considering its foundation and relevance in Ghana.
GIS has various categories for application by interested Ghanaians. Ascertain that you familiarize with the application requirements for every category in the 2021/2022 period.
Applications are open for three categories of persons;
- People with a degree.
- Persons with a Higher National Diploma. In this category, a Higher National Diploma from a recognized institution is a minimum requirement.
- It is also open for non-graduates. Persons In this category are referred to as recruits.
Anyone looking to apply for Ghana Immigration Service jobs ought to satisfy certain general requirements.
All graduates interested in the Ghana Immigration Service recruitment ought to meet the following:
- Ghanaian citizen without a criminal record.
- Hold a first degree in whatever discipline.
- Ought to have completed National Service.
- The applicant must have a minimum age of 18 and not more than 30 years old as of December 31, 2021.
- Must be physically and medically fit and of good character.
- The candidate shouldn’t be bonded.
- Ought to fulfil prerequisite height requirements for males and females.
Lawyer looking to access Ghana Immigration Service jobs should satisfy the following minimum requirements as well:
- A Ghanaian citizen without a criminal record.
- Have served two to five years at the bar.
- Ought to have completed National Service.
- The candidate must be computer literate and of good character.
- Ought to have a minimum age of 21 and not more than 35 years as of December 31, 2021.
Interested applicants with HND or without a degree satisfy similar requirements but with slight differences. For instance, if you have an HND certificate, you will be required to upload it to verify your academic credentials.
On the other hand, non-graduates are supposed to hold SSSCE/WASSCE Certificate with Five (5) credits, including English Language or Mathematics. All other requirements hold as the other levels of education.
How to apply for Ghana Immigration Service jobs
It is integral that you understand the entire application process so that you successfully submit your papers for shortlisting.
- Ensure you purchase an E-voucher from any of Ghana’s Commercial Bank branches. Or you can buy the Ghana Immigration Service forms at the EMS offices near you.
- Proceed to the recruitment portal of the Ghana Immigration Service and click on the "Apply Now' icon.
- Enter your e-voucher number and PIN code details to proceed.
- Choose your highest education level, which can be graduate, certificate or non-graduate.
- Select your preferred branch and correctly fill all your details. This will also include your educational background. You ought to upload a passport size photograph on the student portal for a better personal profile.
- Once done, print a copy of the summary report that will possess all details of your application.
- Apply if you have confirmed that everything is correct. You can as well return to the page before the closing date to reprint your summary report.
All applicants must abide by the Ghana Immigration Service protocol for the application process. This means that they ought to provide factual data to avoid apprehension and prosecution.
What jobs are available at GIS
Ghana Immigration Service recruitment seeks to employ a variety of qualified applicants to expand its workforce in different fields. These are:
- Purchasing and supply
- General duties
Ghana Immigration Service salary
You are probably wondering about the Ghana Immigration Service salary range. The institution has an organized command that starts from the most senior officers to juniors. Employees are paid according to newly introduced Single Spine Salary Structure (SSSS) that was implemented in 2010. Therefore, a graduate applicant, once employed, will earn more than an immigration officer with only WASSSCE or SSCE qualifications.
READ ALSO: Ghana Health Service recruitment: application portal, forms, contacts
Is Ghana Immigration form out?
Even though the Ghana Immigration Service recruitment is being highly publicized, the forms for application are not out. You will have to be patient for the prerequisite forms to be availed at the appropriate moment.
What are the requirements for Ghana Immigration Service?
The Ghana Immigration Service has certain requirements reliant on the position applied for. However, the institution has general requirements that every candidate ought to fulfill for all the available slots. These include:
- Be a Ghanaian citizen and of the appropriate age.
- Lack of a criminal record.
- Fulfill the minimum educational requirements.
- Be of sound mind and having appropriate physical features like height.
How long does Ghana Immigration training last?
Ghana Immigration Service recruits undergo a six-month para-military training process. During the training process, all recruits are given certain guidelines. This will include how to respect human rights, service to the nation, and always to learn.
It is the opportune moment to check out Ghana Immigration Service recruitment and find out if you qualify for any of the open slots. Indeed, considering the institution is one of the most significant in essential service delivery, working for them is a great opportunity.
Yen.com.gh on August 17 highlighted five employment programmes that have been initiated by the Akufo-Addo led government. Unemployment has been one of Ghana's greatest concerns, and the government has been looking for effective ways of creating jobs.
The government created a national job recruitment agency via the youth’s agency job market centres that match graduates with available openings. This strategy formulated five job creation avenues that help Ghanaians get employment.