Born in 1984, in Accra, Ghana, Charles Nii Armah Mensah Jr. was born from a humble home. As a young boy, he developed his love for arts. This resulted to his participation in the popular drama series called Akan. Being brought up by his father who was a great fan of reggae music, Shatta developed a passion for reggae music. Shatta’s father helped him get exposure since he would tag him along every time he visited his relatives who resided in Jamaica. After clearing high school, his father wanted him to be a lawyer. He however insisted on pursing music. This created a very bad drift between them that had him thrown out. He later moved to Jamaica where he pursed his masters in dancehall craft, a step that has earned him a name through his music and the shatta wale awards that he has taken home.
Shatta stormed the dancehall music industry in the year 2004, when he came out his track ‘MokoHoo’. By then he was popularly known as Bandana. The song earned him a lot of fans that led to him being nominated for Ghana Music Awards. This was his first nomination. As motivation, Shatta released a couple of hits that year, among them; ‘ObaaYaa’ and ‘No Problem’. He however did not win the award that he had been nominated for. Shatta however went silent for close to ten years.
For the ten years that Shatta was out of the music limelight, he concentrated on learning how to produce beats. He spent time perfecting on his musical skill and also learn how to mix and master beats. He was basically polishing his skill and was planning on making his comeback big. He focused on reviving dancehall music in Ghana since prominent musicians had passed on and nobody seemed to give attention to the genre.
Later in 2013, Shatta made a comeback in the music with a series of debuts among them; ‘Havana’, ‘Shatta City’, ‘Enter the Net’, ‘Every Body Loves My Tin’. ‘Dancehall King ‘turned out to be his greatest hit and earned him fans and fame even beyond Africa. He marked the rebirth of dancehall reggae in Ghana and Shatta competed favorably with his Jamaican counterparts in the industry. Back in Africa he was referred to as ‘King of Dancehall’ and got nominated for a couple of awards in 2013, among them;
- Ghana Music Awards of 2013,
- Channel O Music Video Awards,
- 4Style Music Videos Awards,
- African Muzik Magazine Awards.
Out of these, shatta wale awards won in 2013 were;
- 4Style Music Video Award where he won the Best Reggae Dancehall Video from his hit, ‘Everybody Likes My Ting’.
On the same category, he won:
- The Most Popular Video, also form the same song.
On African Muzik Magazine Award, Best Dancehall Artist category. His song ‘Dancehall King’ also won him an award for the Ghana Music Awards that year.
Shatta Wale awards and nominations
2014 was also a successful year for shatta as he managed to get more famous and got nominated for more awards. Here are some of the shatta wale awards and nominations for 2014;
- 2014 Nigeria Entertainment Awards,
- BASS Awards, International Reggae and World Music Awards,
- Jigwe Awards,
- Ghana DJ Awards,
- Africa Entertainment Awards,
- Africa Muzik Magazine Awards,
- Swish HQ UK Awards.
Unlike 2013, shatta bagged more awards in 2014. Here are some of the shatta wale awards won in 2014:
- In the Nigerian Entertainment Awards, he won the African Artiste of the year award and the Best Performer of the Year Award.
- In the BASS Awards, he won the Best Video Dancehall through his song ‘Like my Ting’. His song ‘Enter the Net’ bagged him the Dancehall of the Year award.
- In the International Reggae and World Music Awards, he won the best entertainer award.
- In the Jigwe Awards, he won the Jigwe Musician Of the year.
By 2015, Shatta was working with famous musicians like Davido. The two released an album, ‘The Guardian’, which made him become globally famous. He ended up being nominated for bigger and better international awards. Some of the shatta wale awards and nominations for 2015 include;
- International Reggae and World Music Awards,
- 3G Awards,
- MOBO Awards,
- GN Bank Awards,
- Blogging and Social Media Awards,
- Golden Movie Awards Africa,
- Africa Europe DJ Awards (Italy),
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards,
- Afrimma Awards,
- Africa Youth Choice Awards,
- City People Entertainment Awards USA,
- Africa Entertainment wards (USA),
- International Reggae and World Music Awards,
- Ghana Kids Choice Awards,
- Africa Royal Awards,
- Ghana DJ Awards,
- Africa Entertainment Legends Awards,
- Ghana Music Awards UK.
2015 was Shatta’s year because he got the highest number of awards unlike the previous years. Here are some of the shatta wale awards won in 2015:
- In the 3G Awards, Shatta won the Publisher’s Choice Award.
- In the GN Bank Awards, he won the People’s Choice Male Musician Award.
- In the Blogging and Social Media Awards, Shatta won the award of being the Artiste with the best Social Media Presence.
- In the Golden Movie Awards Africa, Shatta won the Golden Discovery award.
- In the Africa Europe DJ Award (Italy), Shatta’s song Kakai won him the best song of the year award.
- He also took home the Nigeria Entertainment Awards, the African Male Artiste of the year.
- In the Afrimma Awards Shatta won the dancehall artiste of the year.
- In the City People Entertainment Awards USA, Shatta won the Ghana Musician of the Year on the male’s category.
- On the Africa Entertainment Awards USA, Shatta won the Best Dancehall Artiste.
- In the International Reggae and world Music Award, Shatta’s Chop Kiss won him the Best African Song and Entertainer award.
- In the Ghana DJ Awards, Shatta’s Kakai earned him the DJ’s Song of the Year.
- On the Ghana Music Awards UK, Shatta won an award for being the Music Producer of the year. His song Kakai was also voted the Most Popular song.
The trend continued in 2016. Shatta wale got nominated for more and bigger awards. He got competition from new and existing artistes. He however managed to brave the storm and secured a good number of awards.
- His Kakai hit got nominated as the dancehall song of the year in the Ghana Music Awards UK. He however did not win this award.
- The same happened to his song ‘Hol It’, it also got nominated but did not win.
- He nevertheless emerged the best dancehall artiste of the year in the Ghana Music Awards UK.
His ‘After the Storm’ album got nominated for the album of the year but did not win. He however emerged the Artiste of the year in the same awards. In the Watsup African Music Videos Awards, he got nominated for the Best African Male Video award, Best African Performance, Best African Reggae and Dancehall video. In this awards, his ‘Chop Kiss’ won him the best reggae dancehall video award.
The 4Style Music Video Awards
Shatta got nominated for:
- The Most Popular video,
- Best directed video,
- Best story line video,
- Best male video, and
- The most influential artiste.
Out of these awards he won:
- The best reggae and dancehall video award.
- He also won the most influential artiste of the year.
Then there was the Ghana Peace Awards
- The Art for Peace of the year.
- He also won the Hausa Music award on the People Choice of the Year category.
Shatta also got nominated for Ghana Music Honors
- The Best Producer award.
- The People’s Choice award.
Shatta also got nominated to the Ghana Naija Showbiz Awards
- The Best Male Act award.
In the Ghana Entertainment Awards USA
- The Best Song award.
During the Ghana Entertainment Awards USA
Shatta got nominated and won:
- The best entertainer award.
- His After the Storm concert, won him the best event set up in the Ghana Events Awards.
In 2017, Shatta got nominated for the Ghana Music Awards UK, the Afro Beats Artiste of the Year category, which he won.
In the same award, he won:
- The Collaboration of the year category.
- The artiste of the year category,
- The Afro Pop Artiste of the Year,
- Reggae Dancehall artiste of the Year.
In the Eastern Music Awards
- The most influential artiste of the year.
In the African Entertainment Awards (USA)
He was awarded:
- The Best Dancehall Artiste.
In the People’s Celebrity Awards
- The Favorite Male Musician award,
- Ultimate People’s Celebrity.
During the 4Style Music Video Awards
- The Most Popular Celebrity.
During the Soundcity MVP Awards Festival,
- The Best Male MVP,
- Digital Artist of the Year, and
- African Artist of the Year.
Someone may ask, ‘how many awards has shatta wale won?’ Listed above is a list of the awards that shatta has won during his music career.
Shatta Wale awards 2018
Shatta’s comeback in music has been long-lived. This is evident through the consistent events he has won over the years. Here are some of the shatta wale awards 2018;3 Music Awards where he has been awarded Song writer of the year and male act of the year. His song ‘Ayoo’ was awarded the song of the year.
Shatta Wale Afrimma awards
Shatta wale made his first appearance in the African Muzik Magazine Awards (AFRIMMA) in 2016. This was one of the biggest shatta wale afrimma awards. He won the Best Dancehall Act that was held in Texas in the United States of America.
In this category, he was competing established artistes like Burna Boy, Patoranking, Timaya among others. He managed to beat them and win this award. In 2017, shatta wale was nominated for the best Dancehall awards. He did not win though.
Shatta Wale bet awards
Due to his hard work, Shatta became a household name. Everyone had their eyes fixed on him during the BET awards. The most recent story that has made headlines is the shatta wale bet awards. This was after the 2017 BET nominations list was brought out and Stonebwoy was nominated for the best African Act International category. This was after he won the award in the same category. Shatta wale BET awards has resulted into a conflict between shatta wale and Stonebwoy.
Shatta wale is still a legend and a holder of many awards he has scooped.