Ghana Education Service (GES) promotion is a method integrated into Ghana’s education system whereby workers are rated and given higher ranks or responsibilities that they didn’t have on their previous rank. For this reason, many workers in the education sector put in more effort so as to rise up the rank. In this write-up, we will enlighten you about different GES promotions latest news, registration and ranks. Read on to know more.
GES offers real promotions to its workers since they are earned from hard work, and you have to undergo an interview before finally acquiring it. If you successfully get the promotion, then your rank and responsibilities are increased. However, you can also acquire nominal promotion where there is an empty position, and you are qualified to take it. The common thing in the two methods is that there are some procedures involved like interviews and registration.
GES current news
In recent GES news, results for teachers’ promotion were released. According to the report, 2,344 director assistant teachers had gone for the interview out of which only about 57% of them were awarded promotions. The 57% represents 1,340 teachers in the country.
Out of the 7,327 assistant director I teachers who attended, only 4,601 of them were upgraded to assistant director II. This represents a successful candidate percentage of 62.80 %. The 14,945 teachers on assistant director II rank were successful representing a 64.07 percentage. For principal superintendent grade, 2,025 candidates turned up where 68.79% (1,393) of them were successful.
In total, 33,800 teachers attended the event. Only 22,279 out of the total number present was promoted.
Ranks in Ghana Education Service
Before going into details let’s have a look at the new ranking system that has seen the criteria of promotion take an approach based on two ways. So how do you get a GES promotion? First, it can be gained through working for many years in the service and lastly, through advancing studies in your career path. Here are the GES ranks:
- Director General
- Director Assistant
- Assistant Director II
- Assistant Director I
- Principal Superintendent
- Senior Superintendent I
- Senior Superintendent II
- Superintendent II
- Superintendent I
GES salary structure
After the implementation of the Single Spine Structure (SSS), all the salaries of the teachers were raised. A teacher below or equal to the Principal Superintendent would earn a salary in between 500 to 800 GHS while those above the level earned in between 900 to 1200 GHS. However, in 2011 the minimum wage was increased by 11% which means that teachers currently earn 111% of what they earned back then. Doing a simple calculation will reveal their real salaries.
GES placement 2018
Placement and promotion are two different things. Placement involves posting trained and qualified teachers in different schools while promotion involves raising salary or rank or even both for employees. Take note of the difference before continuing to the other parts of this write-up.
READ ALSO: GES posting shortlist 2018
GES 2018 promotion process
So, how is GES promotion done? For a teacher who has not advanced his education but has worked for a long period in the field, acquiring a GES Ghana promotion is simple. You only have to undergo an interview where several questions are asked to determine if you are fit for the next rank. In the interview, expect qualified officers from GES. On the other hand, if you finish your bachelor’s degree in any field even if it is not education, you are automatically qualified to be a senior superintendent.
If your process was successful, you are required to undergo an upgrading process where grading is done on the rank you qualified for. This directly affects the salary you will be receiving since the GOG pay slip will always vary according to the rank you are graded in. To know that your promotion request has been approved, check interview results, and to find your letter of promotion you must follow some procedures. However, worry less since we got you covered.
GES online registration – downloading and filling forms 2018
To do an online registration, you have to visit their official website download, fill up, and submit the forms. Use the following procedure to do so:
- Visit GES official page and make sure it has the extension “gov gh”.
- Next, click on the eVoucher card button to buy one. Fill all the required information appropriately and then confirm the mode of payment on your mobile phone.
- After successfully buying the eVoucher, you will be redirected to the promotions login page where you will be required to provide your staff ID and eVoucher ID number sent to your mobile phone.
- After providing all those details, you will be able to access all the promotion letters.
- Fill in the letters and send them using any courier service.
How to buy your eVoucher without an internet connection
Probably you cannot access the internet, so how are you going to buy your eVoucher? Simple – if you have a mobile phone you can do so easily through a USSD code. Follow the steps below to the later.
- Open your phone’s dialer and dial this code *170# then click the call button. A text box will appear. Move to the next step.
- Reply with the pay bill option. This can be done by entering number 2 on the text box then press the send button. The option will redirect you to another menu which has different options than the previous.
- Select the general payment option by replying with number 6 and then pressing the send option.
- Next, enter your payment code. Since you are buying a eVoucher, the code should always be the word ‘promotion’ in this case. After you have entered it, click on the send option to go to the next menu.
- Enter the amount to be paid. This should be 5 cedis. Once completed, move to the next step.
- Enter a reference. You can use your name as the reference here.
- Input your mobile wallet pin to confirm the transaction.
After a successful payment, a confirmation message containing transaction ID will be sent to you. Use the ID as the pin and the phone number you made payments from as the serial number.
How to check your GES promotion interview list
GES posts all the successful participants on its web page. To check the list, make sure you are connected to the internet and then browse through their page. You can access it through a mobile phone, desktop or a laptop that has an active internet connection.
GES promotion interview questions
When going to an interview, you should expect to be asked some questions which go hand in hand with your profession so that the interviewers may access whether you are fit to receive a new rank. Here are some of the common questions you can be asked:
- Panel one
- Do you have the zeal to upgrade your studies?
- Outline the hierarchy order of the Ghana Education Service.
- Describe your job as a teacher in a few words.
- What one thing moved you to become a teacher?
- Apart from formulating policies for GES, what other functions do you know that the Ministry of Education does?
- State the full meaning of the following acronyms: (a). JICA (b). USAID (c). DANIDA.
- What are the qualities of a professional teacher?
- Explain the meaning of the term Maturation.
- How can you define a bond?
- What is the difference between a bond and a treasury bill?
- Recently, what happened in South Sudan?
- Give out the full name of South Africa’s Nelson Mandela.
- Mention his hometown.
- Mention the year he received a Nobel Peace Prize?
- State the functions of MOE.
- State the functions of GES.
- Name six agencies under MOE.
- State the difference between growth and maturation.
- State six functions of Bank of Ghana.
- What is your view on Fortiz buying Merchant Bank?
- What should BOG do on this matter?
- State the difference between Scheme of work and lesson plan?
- What is a comprehensive inspection of the school? Who does it? And how long does it take?
- State five senses of learning.
- What is happening currently in Egypt?
- What is the difference between MOE and GES?
- What are the functions of GES?
- Differentiate between learning and maturation.
- Mention the senses of learning of children. How do you apply these senses in your teaching?
- Differentiate between BOG and MOF
- Which country is the newest in the world?
- Who is the president of South Sudan?
- What is treasury bill?
- Who is the best player in the world?
- What is a policy? Name some of the policies you know?
- What are the functions of BOG?
- Apart from GES as an agency of education under the MOE, mention other agencies.
- What is secondment?
- What is a comprehensive inspection of the school?
- Give the full name of Nelson Mandela. Where is his hometown? What date did he die?
- State the relationship between GES and MOE.
- State the education reform since 1961.
- How does GES implement MOE policies?
- How does MOE ensure that GES implements her policies?
- What does Government consider before fixing the workers salary?
- What is the importance of education in the socio-economic development of a country?
- What happened on 6th December 2013 at Sogakope?
- What is the education element of the 6th December 2013 event at Sogakope?
- State the functions of GES
- State the difference between delegation and relegation
- Name the type of leaves in GES.
- Explain Maternity leave?
- Explain the process of obtaining an appeal.
- What happened in Ghana on 9th December, 2013 which made Ghana happy?
- Differentiate between MOE and GES.
- State the Core mandate of GES.
- Name the functions of GES.
- Name the agencies that execute the mandate of MOE.
- What makes you a professional teacher?
- Differentiate between learning and maturation
- Outline the characteristics of children.
- Differentiate between BOG and MOE.
- What is happening in South Sudan?
- What happened in South Sudan yesterday?
- What is the problem in Egypt?
- What is the main reason for the overthrow of Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi?
- What are the latest news in Ghana and the details of the sale of the merchant bank?
These are just but some of the questions in the long list of possible ones. Note that all the current affairs questions can vary from time to time. You must listen to the news and also read papers to be aware of anything going around the world.
How to check your interview results online
The procedure for checking results online is very simple since all you need is an active internet connection and an eVoucher. The steps below also include how you can buy the eVoucher online. Here is how you can do the online registration:
- Open your browser. Whether it is on a computer or a mobile phone. Ensure your data or WiFi is connected.
- Visit the GES promotional portal by entering their URL in the search box or by just doing a quick Google search with the words “GES promotional portal”. The portal URL usually has a GES gov gh extension.
- Scroll down and click on ‘buy e Voucher card’ option. You have to pay some amount of money so that you can get the card. You will be automatically redirected to that page that will request you to pay the amount. Be sure that the URL reads GES promotions gov gh/voucher to avoid paying to the wrong place through social engineering attacks.
- Input your mobile phone number. The number should be having a mobile wallet account to enable the transfer of the money.
- Enter your name. Be sure to enter the same name that matches the registration details on your mobile wallet account. If you enter a different name, the process may not be successful.
- Click on the submit button. Before doing so, first confirm whether the details you have entered are the correct ones to save on time since if you enter the wrong ones, you will have to start afresh. After, you will be able to view your results.
How to download GES promotion letters
When you pass the interview and you are approved, GES will post you among the shortlisted people. Use the procedure below to download your letter:
- Open your browser and visit the GES portal. Make sure you have an active internet connection for the rest of the steps.
- Navigate to ‘buy eVoucher card’ option and press on it. You will be redirected to a page where you will know the amount of money you are supposed to pay so that you can get a eVoucher that will enable you to access the results.
- Next, you have to go to the promotional page and enter the eVoucher code you received in the transaction message send to you. Also, you will be prompted to enter your staff ID. Make sure all the details are correct before moving to the next step.
- Click the submit button and follow prompts to get your letter and results.
GES promotions occur frequently and as a teacher, knowing the latest news is helpful. Now you know how you can register for the promotions, check whether you are shortlisted for an interview, buy a eVoucher, download promotion documents, and most importantly some of the questions you may be asked during the interview. Start preparing as early as now for the next promotion event.
- 99% Of Special Needs Children Not In School – GES
- List of International Schools in Ghana 2018
- 20 best schools in Ghana 2018
- Top 50 Senior High Schools in Ghana
- The top 10 most expensive schools in Ghana