Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) is one of the oldest and largest universities in Ghana. Its named after the Ghanaian founding father and has been providing quality education to knowledge-hungry students for decades. It has expanded vertically and horizontally, and it is now offering IDL KNUST top-up programs.
The KNUST IDL top-up programmes are for those who desire to advance their education or enroll for an educational program in line with their job or career. In cognition of all the hurdles surrounding learning while still committed elsewhere, KNUST has come up with distance learning programs that will help you achieve what you desire.
This piece brings you all you need to know about the IDL KNUST to help you understand what is offered. It entails the various courses, entry requirements, eligibility, cut off points, fees, contact information and how to apply. What's more, you will also get to find out why Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology is a top choice of higher education for many.
READ ALSO: KNUST grading system 2018-2019
IDL KNUST top up admissions
It is mandatory for all prospective student of KNUST to apply for enrollment before they commence their studies. Ideally, this is the first thing one should do before the invitation letter of offer comes before they are registered and be bona fide students of the institution. Before this, the student needs to know if they are eligible or qualify to take a course in IDL KNUST in any level; certificate, diploma, undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate. Below is the Institute of Distance Learning, KNUST requirements;
IDL KNUST admissions requirements
- Holders of WASSCE / SSSCE who have scored credits of A1 to C6 and A to D respectively are eligible to apply for the IDL KNUST courses. The minimum aggregate score is 24 with English, Mathematics and Integrated Science having high scores.
- HND holders with over three years working experience in their relevant fields can apply. However, the should also have met the WASSCE threshold above and good scores in the three elective subjects.
- General Business Certificate (GBCE) holders with over a pass in the three subjects and yet other three elective subjects qualify to apply
- Applicants in stage 1 of Chartered Institute of Bankers, Chartered Institute of Marketing, ICA, and ACCA with credits in the WASSCE / SSSCE in the three compulsory subject and three elective subjects as per the course they desire to be enrolled for.
- The GBCE, ABCE or GCE O' level holders
- Similarly, applicants who will have their examination results – those who sat for their May/June as at the time of application are equally eligible.
- Applicant should be of mature age, at least 25 years and above at the time of application and meets the WASSCE/SSSCE benchmark of passes in the core subjects and three elective subjects and have the examination results as proof of this.
- The foreign applicant from accredited and recognized institutions are also eligible to apply having met any of the above qualifications.
It is worthwhile knowing that IDL KNUST edu gh has stringent rules and regulations during admissions. The exercise is done thoroughly and due to the volume of the application letters any slight mistake, alteration or failure to follow instruction can make one's application be dropped out even if they qualify for placement. All applications for the locals should be posted by mail addressed to the Deputy Registrar of Academic Affairs, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi Ghana. Any hand delivered application shall not be processed. Foreign applicants can apply using online form using the link https://apps.knust.edu.gh/admissions/ and follow the instructions. There will be prompts to fill up personal and educational particulars and attach the relevant documents before submitting it.
KNUST IDL application for any course attracts a processing charge. Citizens are expected to pay Ghana cedis 180 while prospective foreign applicant will pay 150 US Dollars. The application fees should be deposited directly to the KNUST principal fees collection account in the either; Ecobank, GCB bank, HFC bank, Barclays, UNI BANK, UBA or Ghana Post.
READ ALSO: KNUST masters programme fees & courses 2018
KNUST IDL top up admission list
In addition to the application letter, there are a few things the prospective student is expected to have. In most cases, they will be required during the interview or a sit-in exam conducted before one gets enrolled in the schools' system. Here are a few of those items:
- Application letter – an expression of interest to join and be part of the student body of the school and state the course enrolled.
- E-voucher – is an electronically generated document that acknowledges that indeed the application fees have been deposited and receipted. It helps in facilitating the application processing.
- Original and copies of the academic and professional certificates – shows the schools and education one has been through including the scores in addition to the work profile.
- Recommendation letters from past employers and majorly the previous one – majorly needed where applicants need to have some years of experience as one of the qualification factors.
- Four passport size photographs of the applicant recently taken – they are for identification and helps in creating the student profile on the IDL KNUST portal.
- Any other items as requested as per the field of study.
Although, there may be other things that applicants may be expected to have during admission the above are some of the primary things demanded. For those still struck about how the KNUST IDL application is made here is how to go about it.
KNUST IDL application
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Institute of Distance Learning thrice yearly invited prospective applicants to apply for the various courses. The institution has recently asked students to apply for the 2018/2019 academic year enrollment which expired on 31st of July 2018 for the Undergraduate and postgraduate courses. It then brings us at par in seeking for the effective way through which one can embark on during KNUST IDL application.
Ghanaian citizen interested in the IDL KNUST top-up programmes will need to download an application form online and fill up all the details. They will be expected to provide information regarding their education detailing from the highest level to the lowest, employment or work profile; here you need to state the employer, terms and duration of engagement, and personal information. Personal information captures issues of age, physical residence, race, nationality, marital status, contacts among many other things.
This document will be enclosed in an envelope alongside, two copies of academic certificates and any other testimonials, passport sized photographs and most importantly, the e-voucher form. It is currently being sold in all regional post office and some other designated offices at the satellite campuses of KNUST. It should be sent via postal mail to the Director of Academic Affairs at head office in Kumasi. From whence they will be processed and responded.
On the other hand, foreign applicants use the KNUST IDL online application. It is the fastest and reliable way to send applications and has gain prevalent in higher institutions in the recent past. They may get online. Look for applications 2018/2019 follow the link and the instructions thereof. You will be expected to fill a KNUST IDL undergraduate top up form if you are interested in an undergraduate course and the same applies to all another level; choose based on what you want to pursue.
Alternatively, there is an IDL KNUST portal one can use and get like services. First, this portal can be accessed through the link, which will redirect you to a content page welcoming you to the KNUST Apps portal. There four icons for students, prospective student, staff, potential staff with front arrows in a green tab. Since this, entry-level logs in and you are interested in becoming a student, click on prospective student and then follow instruction.
Besides, you need to upload and attach the relevant document to your application before submitting, for international students, they will need to generate an e-voucher from the university website. It is a proof that indeed the applicant has paid the application processing fees of USD 150. What's more, applicants should fill up accurately the KNUST IDL top up forms. You can then submit and await communication from the office of the registrar, academic affairs.
IDL KNUST courses
The KNUST IDL top-up programmes have a host of classes one can pursue or advance their education level with. However, the IDL KNUST courses are divided into either undergraduate, postgraduate, graduate and masters degree. In each level, there are specific fees schedule and cut off points, but it is also possible to have two undergraduate courses being charged differently as we will soon find out.
READ ALSO: UMaT courses and fees 2018-2019
KNUST IDL undergraduate courses
These are degree programs that are not administered to a regular student but to those who want to learn on flexible schedules of distance learning. The primary reason is that they have other commitment, working or responsibilities cannot allow them to enroll to the regular schedule. The relief is in the KNUST IDL undergraduate course which is fee-paying only programs. There are no accommodation or tuition charges.
The IDL KNUST course is broadly divided into six main faculties. The faculties of Sciences, health sciences, Engineering, Arts & built environment, Humanities & social sciences and agriculture and natural resources. The following are the KNUST IDL undergraduate courses as per the faculties.
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and social work
BA in Economics
BA in Political studies
BA in religious studies
BA in History
BSC in Business Administration (in options of; accounting, finance seven banking, marketing, international business, procurement, human resource management and business information management).
Faculty of Engineering
The KNUST IDL graduate programmes are offered in all divisions of engineering. They include civil engineering, electrical and electronic engineering, computer engineering, biomedical engineering, geological engineering, telecommunications engineering, mechanical, Chemical, Agricultural, and aerospace engineering among many others.
Faculty of Agriculture and Natural resources
The following are the KNUST IDL top-up programmes under the above faculty;
- BSc in Agriculture
- BSC in Agribusiness management
- BSC in forest resources technology
- BSC in landscape design and management
- BSC in natural resource management
- BSc in Agricultural biotechnology
- Faculty of Science
- BSC in biochemistry
- BSC in actuarial science
- BSc in computer science
- Bsc in environmental science
- BSC in Food Science and Technology
- BSC in meteorology and climate science
- Faculty of Health Science
- BSC in nursing
- BSC in medical laboratory technology
- BSC in human biology
- BSC/BDS in dental health and surgery
- BSC in disability and Rehabilitation
- BSC in herbal medicine
Theses IDL KNUST courses are some which require the applicant to have some years of experience and credits in three elective and compulsory subjects. For instance, in dental surgery, a student who is pursuing the course should have at least three years' residential experience coupled up with other WASSCE provisions.
READ ALSO: List of top universities in Africa 2018
Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts is one of the KNUST IDL undergraduate programmes that are majorly based on skills development. They include Architecture, fashion and design, industrial art, development planning, quantity surveying & construction economics, construction technology, human settlement planning, real estate management, land economy, communication designs among many others.
The above is just about the KNUST IDL undergraduate top-up courses that one can enroll. Clearly, the diversity in areas of study implies why KNUST is a preferred learning destination for many students and professionals. Most of the undergraduate courses have a standard figure although some courses at times may have a higher or lower charge. For instance, in the 2017/2018 IDL KNUST fees schedule, all undergraduate courses were paying Ghana cedis 3,183 apart from sociology and social work which was charges Ghana cedis 2,741. However, online programmes are charged higher than the other programmes of the same.
KNUST IDL masters programmes
IDL KNUST top-up courses are offered in levels, and there is a whole range of KNUST IDL graduate programmes one can further their education. It is one sought area as most professional have first degrees and in advancement resort for the masters' programmes. The following is the list of the various courses incorporated in the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Institute of Distance Learning;
This schedule shows the different IDL KNUST postgraduate courses and their respective applicable fees for the Year 1 students and the Year 2 students. In some classes, the Year 1 fees are higher than in Year 2 and vice versa. However, this is a detailed 2017/2018 IDL KNUST top up fees outline that is being currently used.
2017/2018 IDL KNUST Top-up fees outline
KNUST IDL Graduate programmes
There are yet other few courses offer in IDL KNUST for the doctorate level. They solely line in the field of medicine and are predominantly provide in Kumasi campus they include:
- Doctor of Pharmacy
- Doctor of Optometry
- BDS in dental surgery
- Veterinary Medicine.
KNUST IDL application cut off points
Ideally, any institution of higher learning has its own set apart cut line for students whom they would want to admit in their school for studying. They are the primarily primary why schools will pick on a person and fail to consider the other. Of course, the cut off points is based on the past performance. For instance, the final examination results for the junior high school determined the kind of senior high school one will get placement. The same case applies to the tertiary institutions
The cut-off points essentially do not mean that a student should score that to be considered but instead is used to guide on the minimum score that may be considered for that particular score. The more a course is highly rated or central in the economy the higher the cut-off points. Below are the various IDL KNUST courses in Ghana with their particular cut off marks.
READ ALSO: KNUST masters programme fees & courses 2018
IDL KNUST courses
Affirmatively, the IDL KNUST edu gh outlines that an applicant who is eligible to apply for any bachelor or doctorate course should have at least 24 points. However, it is evident that some classes have higher cut off points than others. It should then be in your knowledge the particular course and their respective cut off point in order to be enrolled for a session.
The following are other IDL KNUST courses in Ghana that are high ranking. This in parallel terms means that even the cutoff point is actually higher than the rest. Moreover, they are very detailed, relevant in this modern age and broad in terms of spectrum.
IDL KNUST courses
Why is IDL KNUST popular?
KNUST is a school that has been in existence for a while now. There is a revealed preference for the school over other institutions offering the same courses and using an almost similar outline. It is incomparable to the rest a fact that makes it stand out. Here are some of the reasons why KNUST and specifically the Institute of Distance Learning is in rogue;
- The quality of education – its systems are incorruptible, and quality is the only consistent thing
- Focusses on preparing students to fit in the corporate environment and not just the learning
- It incorporates both the practical and theoretical knowledge
- Facilities –the school has all the facilities and equipment needed in education. This means they stand a stronger position learning all theoretical and practical work and equipping them fully for the corporate world which is highly competitive and dynamic.
- Flexibility – this is a school for everybody and hence very diverse regarding the number of courses, inclusivity, and friendly study modes
- Enjoys a pool of seasoned and quailed tutors and lecturer who are diligently working on raising a market-ready person.
- It has been in the education sector for a while now and garnered a lot of relevance by mastering the art of quality teaching
IDL KNUST contacts
It has ten campuses; Kumasi, Koforidua, Tamale, Ho, Cape Coast, Sunyani, Accra, Bolga, Wa, and Tokaradi. However, one can directly write to the Head Office in Kumasi, write an email via firstname.lastname@example.org or the official website for further inquiries about the IDL KNUST top up programs.
READ ALSO: List of top universities in Africa 2018