President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has named George Akuffo Dampare as the new Inspector General of Police (IGP).
Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
He will be taking over from the outgoing IGP, James Oppong-Boanuh from August 1, 2021.
According to a report filed by Citinews, he has been penned down for the job, and the Presidency will soon communicate officially to Ghanaians.
YEN.com.gh has compiled all you need to know about the new IGP.
1. At age 51, he is the youngest ever serving IGP to be appointed in the 8th republic and the 8th youngest since independence
Dr. Dampare joined the Ghana Police Service (GPS) as a Constable in December 1990 at age 20.
In 1991, on completion of his recruit training, he was adjudged the overall Best Recruit and won all awards except the award for the ‘Best Marksman’.
In 1996, he emerged as the overall Best Cadet for the 32nd Cadet Officers’ Course and won all awards
2. In 2014, at age 44, he became Commissioner of Police (COP)
He is the youngest Commissioner of Police in the 4th Republic, having attained that high rank at age 44.
3. Dampare is a staunch Christian and is married with six children
4. Education Background
- He sat and passed the GCE Ordinary and Advanced level examinations as a private candidate in 1989 and 1992 respectively.
- At age 25, COP Akuffo Dampare became a chartered accountant.
- He later completed IPS, now the University of Professional Studies, UPSA.
- George Akuffo Dampare has two Masters of Science degrees with distinction in Accounting & Finance, from London South Bank University, UK and Business Systems Analysis & Design from City University of London, UK.
- He has a Ph.D. in Finance in the revered Kings College in the UK.
5. Positions Occupied
He has served in many capacities in the service having previously occupied the
- Positions of Director General, Finance and Administration
- Director in charge of the National Patrols Unit
- Director-General ICT
- Director-General Operations
- Director-General research and Planning,
- Commandant of Police Command and Staff College
- Accra Regional Police Commander
- Director-General Welfare of the Ghana Police Service
- Currently the Director-General in charge of administration.
6. Academic certificates
- Dr. Dampare also has a certificate in High Impact leadership from the Institute for Sustainability Leadership, University of Cambridge, UK
- A certificate in Leadership and Management from the Aresty Institute of Executive Education
- The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, USA.
- Dr. Dampare is a member of a number of professional associations including the International Association of Chiefs of Police (ICP)
- International Association of Crime Analysts (IACA)
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICA)
- The Ghana Journalists Association (GJA)
Dr. Dampare has also served and continues to serve on several boards including the
- Economic and Organized Crime Office (EOCO) Governing Board
- Data Link University College Council
- Police Central Disciplinary Board
- The Pumpkins Foundation Board (a philanthropic organization for underprivileged children, including those with autism)
In other news
P.O. Kwabena Donkor. popularly known as KDM is a Ghanaian naval officer who combines his work with a career in gospel music.
As readers may recall from an earlier report by YEN.com.gh, Kwabena Donkor swept 3 awards as a gospel musician at the NKZ Music Awards 2021.
Kwabena Donkor, who has featured the celebrated gospel artiste Joyce Blessing on his song Only You, indicated that his passion is to be an ambassador of Christ spreading the gospel of Christ through music.
Enjoy reading our stories? Join YEN.com.gh's Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news!
Source: Yen Newspaper