Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) is a vital assessment exam in Ghana’s education system. Once a student completes three years of junior high school, they must take the exam, especially if they want to be selected into Senior High Schools and Technical Institutes in the country. While preparing for this exam, it is good to know the areas that the BECE questions cover.
Passing BECE is non-negotiable for any student who wants to further their education after completing junior high school. A reason for this is because competition to gain admission into senior high school is hard. The BECE result is based on Continuous Assessment (CA) and the external exam. The external exam forms 70%, while the CA forms 30% of the total assessment.
BECE past questions and answers
West African Examinations Council (WAEC) administers BECE exams. Each year, students are given a new set of questions that have been tailored to test their understanding without locking most of them outside. It is moderated to allow every student to answer, at least, a question.
Knowing the importance of revising BECE ICT past papers and others, it is wise for students to look for the right and most recent papers to revise. Although there are many sites where they can download BECE past questions, not all of them make good past papers available. This is a reason why care must be taken before settling with any past BECE materials.
Nevertheless, getting both questions and answers helps you test your knowledge and how prepared you are. You can solve the questions while revising and confirm your answers' appropriateness using the source you are working with as a guide. All these approaches will help you meet your needs effectively.
Moreover, an app has also been developed to help users access past questions and answers on the go. The BECE/JSCE 2020 Questions and Answers app was developed by Tajora, and it reportedly contains questions picked randomly from a pool of over 10,000 BECE past questions from 2005 to 2020 and likely questions in all subjects.
The app also has a timing feature that helps you know how fast you are in answering BECE questions and graphs, tables, and diagrams supported in questions. Android smartphone users can download it from the Google Playstore. The only thing is that it uses the internet to function.
BECE past tests
Each subject has two papers, which every candidate must take. The first paper has an objective test, and the second has an essay test. Both are combined and taken in a sitting within a stipulated time. Majorly, the subjects available to candidates include:
- English Language
- Ghanaian Language and Culture
- Information and Communications Technology
- Basic Design and Technology
- Religious & Moral Education
- Social Studies
- Integrated Science
- French (optional)
BECE English language questions 2020
The English language comprises lexis and structure, literature, essay writing, and comprehension. Paper 1 has 32 lexis and structure items and 8 literature questions, while paper 2 consists of essay writing and comprehension. Some of the questions to expect are:
1. The interview was conducted to separate the sheep from the goats. This means that the interview aimed at
A. finding people who could rear sheep
B. keeping the sheep in a different pen
C. selecting only the humble candidates
D. selecting the best candidates
2. Being the eldest child of the family, Joojo claimed the lion’s share of the father’s property. This means that Joojo had
A. all the property
B. half of the property
C. the best part
D. the largest part
3. The students were all ears during the presentation. This means that the students
A. did not enjoy the presentation
B. had big ears
C. listened attentively
D. were very happy
4. Dallies is the pick of the bunch. This means that Dallies
A. is a farmer
B. is an athlete
C. is preferred to all the others
D. works on a banana plantation
5. Write an article for publication in a national newspaper on the topic:
- Why bushfires must be avoided.
- Your uncle wants to visit you in your school. Give him the directions.
- Describe to your friends the most interesting function you have attended
BECE Social studies past questions
Questions set on Social studies cover areas like the environment, social and economic development, and governance, politics, and stability. Check out some likely questions below:
1. (a) State four benefits of staying chaste. (4 marks)
(b) Outline four effects of irresponsible adolescent behaviour. (16 marks)
2. (a) What is co-operation? (4 marks)
(b) Highlight four benefits Ghana derives from cooperating with other nations. (16 marks)
3. Explain five reasons why an individual should save towards the future. (20 marks)
BECE ICT past questions
Questions will also be set on ICT topics, including software and components, reasons for warm booting, and a computer's main parts. Check out this sample:
1. The part of a computer system that performs arithmetic and logic operations on data
is known as
A. visual display unit.
B. central processing unit.
C. input/output device.
D. memory storage device.
2. In the classification of computers, Personal computers (PC), Laptops,
Notebooks and Personal digital assistants (PDA) are examples of
A. super computers.
B. micro computers.
C. mainframe computers.
D. mini computers.
3. An internal permanent store of memory which can be read but cannot
normally be changed is the
4. The curser which indicates the point at which a text should be marked is
found on the
B. central processing unit.
C. visual display unit.
5. The most common unit of computer storage is the
BECE Maths past questions
For Mathematics, questions are set on topics like operations on sets, properties of natural numbers, and numeration system. Here are some past questions that will strengthen you in the upcoming exams.
1. Of the 53 pupils of Kofikrom Junior High School, 36 take tea, 18 take coffee, and 10 take neither tea nor coffee.
(a) Draw a Venn diagram to illustrate this information.
(b) Using your diagram, determine the number that takes both tea and coffee.
2. Elias bought five books. Their main price was GHS3.25. The total cost for four of the books was GHS 11.75. What was the cost of the fifth book?
3. Three church bells start ringing at intervals of 5, 12, and 15 minutes respectively. If they ring together at 12.00 noon on a given day, when will they next ring together?
4. Given that 1/2p =1/8, find the value of p.
5. In 1995, 215 boys and 815 girls were 3 admitted into a senior secondary school. Find, correct to the nearest whole number, the percentage of girls admitted.
BECE Science questions
Questions set on Integrated Science cover different areas, including systems, diversity of matters, and cycles. Below are samples of questions you would be asked to answer:
1. (a) What is a living cell?
(b) Give one function of the following components of a living cell:
(i) cell membrane;
(c) Make sketches to show the arrangement of particles in each of the three states of matter.
(d) What instrument would you use to measure each of the following quantities:
(i) volume of a liquid;
(ii) mass of a stone;
(iv) speed of the wind?
2. (a) State two examples of a
(b) What is the difference between egestion and excretion?
(c) Explain briefly why
(i) gold is used to make necklaces and earrings.
(ii) steel is used instead of iron to make car bodies.
(d) (i) What is surface tension?
(ii) Explain why the surface of water in a container is not flat but curved.
3. (a) Name three deficiency diseases associated with diet and state their causes.
(b) (i) What is hard water?
(ii) Mention three ways by which hard water can be made soft.
(c) (i) Explain how sound is produced.
(ii) State one example each, of the following instruments:
(a) wind instrument;
(b) string instrument.
BECE time table
Usually, the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) holds in June every year, but the 2020 examination held between Monday, 14th of September, 2020, and Friday, 18th of September, 2020. So, make sure to look out for when the examination would be fixed for this year.
If you are committed to passing your forthcoming examination, revising the BECE questions above and others you can get your hands on will help you. Also, ensure you familiarize yourself with the important instructions before you go into the exam hall.
In a recent post published by Yen.com.gh, some of the best category B schools in the Central Region were discussed. These are schools that offer the best education that is reflected in the performance of students.
Schools like Academy of Christ the King in Cape Coast, Adankwaman Senior High School, and Awutu Winton are some of the schools you will find on the list.