- Real name: Michael Owusu Addo
- Birthday: July 10, 1988
- Nationality: Ghanaian
- Star sign: Cancer
- Occupation: Rapper, songwriter
- Height: 5’ 9’’ or 1.75 m
Who is Sarkodie?
Sarkodie, born Michael Owusu Addo on July 10, 1988, is a Ghanaian rapper and entrepreneur. He is widely regarded as one of the most influential and successful artists in African hip-hop. He has won several awards and accolades, including the Best International Act: Africa at the 2012 BET Awards and Artist of the Decade at the 2019 Vodafone Ghana Music Awards. He is also a recipient of two Billboard plaques, a UNICEF ambassador and the founder of Sarkcess Music, a record label that houses artists such as Akwaboah, Strongman, and Black Nana.
In 2005, Sarkodie started his music career as an underground rapper, participating in Adom FM’s rap competition Kasahare Level.
In 2009, he unveiled his debut studio album, Makye, featuring notable artists such as Kwaw Kese, J-Town, Sway, and Paedae of R2Bees.
In 2012, Sarkodie released his second studio album Rapperholic. Notably, it earned him the prestigious Best Rapper and Album of the Year awards at the 2012 Ghana Music Awards.
In 2013, Sarkodie released his third studio album Sarkology.
In 2014, Sarkodie released his first live album Sarkcess Story: Live In Concert.
His fourth studio album, Mary, released in 2015, was dedicated to his beloved late grandmother.
In 2016, Sarkodie released a collaborative EP with Nigerian singer Runtown titled The Highest Feast.
In 2019, Sarkodie unveiled his sixth studio album, Black Love, featuring notable collaborations with Idris Elba, Mr Eazi, Efya, and Stonebwoy.
In 2020, Sarkodie won the Artiste of the Year award at the 2020 Ghana Music Awards for the second time in his career.
In 2021, he graced the music scene with his seventh studio album, No Pressure.
In 2022, Sarkodie released an album called Jamz.
Top 10 Best Sarkodie Songs
Sarkodie has released over 200 songs in his career, including singles, collaborations, and features. Here are some of his most popular songs:
- "Baby" (feat. Mugeez) - 2009
- "You Go Kill Me" (feat. EL) - 2011
- "Adonai" (feat. Castro) - 2014
- "Pain Killer" (feat. Runtown) - 2017
- "Can't Let You Go" (feat. King Promise) - 2018
- "Saara" (feat. Efya) - 2019
- "Happy Day" (feat. Kuami Eugene) - 2020
- “Rollies and Cigars” - 2021
- "Coachella" (feat. Kwesi Arthur) - 2022
- "Labadi" (feat. King Promise) - 2022
Songs and Collaborations
Sarkodie has collaborated with many artists from different genres and countries, including King Promise, Kuami Eugene, Mugeez, Castro, Kwesi Arthur etc. Some of his notable collaborators are:
- Efya: Sarkodie and Efya have a strong musical chemistry and have worked together on songs such as “I’m In Love With You”, “Where Did I Go Wrong”, “Devil In Me”, “Jorley”, and “Saara”.
- Ice Prince: Sarkodie and Ice Prince are both African rap stars who have collaborated on songs such as “Shot On Shot”, “For Days”, and “Feel Good Remix”.
Sarkodie is married to Tracy Sarkcess, whom he met in 2005 when he was an underground rapper. Sarkodie and Tracy have two children together, a daughter named Adalyn Owusu Addo, also known as Titi, and a son named Michael Nana Yaw Owusu Addo Jr., also known as MJ.