Being admitted to a university is every student’s dream. However, making a choice to attend the best university in Ghana has never been easy. Most students are not sure of which university to choose and which courses to select and this leads them to make a decision they might regret in future. This article brings you a list of public universities in Ghana and their location. You’ll also get to know a brief history of each university and the courses they are best known for. So… let’s get started.
Top Ghana universities
The quest for higher education is increasing each and every year in African countries and Ghana has not been left out. In the past few years there has been a tremendous increase in the universities in Ghana most of them being private universities. Below is a list of universities in Ghana.
1. University of Ghana
The University of Ghana is the oldest and indeed one of the best universities in Ghana. It is located at Legon, 14 km North of Accra. It was founded in 1948 as the University College of the Gold Coast, an affiliate of the University of London. The university gained full university status in 1961 and now has over 40,000 students. It offers a wide range of courses, from certificate level to doctorate levels.
It is best known for its research and commitment to offering high-quality education.
Admission to the University of Ghana is considerably competitive especially in the medicine, engineering, law and pharmacy fields. The university is well equipped with enough human and material resources and this makes the university the best in Ghana.
The University of Ghana is one of the few universities in Africa that offers programs in nuclear physics and nuclear energy.
Some of the undergraduate courses worth noting include;
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery Bachelor of Science in Dietetics
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory
- Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Science in Radiography
- BSc. Mathematics, Statistics, Actuarial Science, Computer Science, Biomathematics, Physics
- BSc. Animal Biology and Conservation Science, Biochemistry Cell and Molecular Biology Plant and Environmental Biology, Nutrition, Marine Science, Food Science, Fisheries Science,Microbiology Psychology
Masters programs offered;
- Adult Education
- Material Science & Engineering
- Communication Studies
- Theatre Arts
- Molecular Cell Biology of Infectious Diseases
- Seed Science & Technology
University of Ghana contact information;
Email address: email@example.com
A brief history of KNUST
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), is located in Kumasi, Ashanti, Ghana. It is a public university and one of the best universities in Ghana. It was established in 1949 as Kumasi College of Technology. The university admitted its first students in 1951 and later joined in 1955 in the faculty of engineering. In 1995 the university was already offering courses leading to the University of London Bachelor of Engineering through External Examinations. The college was granted full university status in 1961 and its name changed to Kwame Nkrumah University Of Science And Technology.
The university is open to both national and international students.
It offers a wide range of courses from certificate courses to PhD courses. Some of the courses you’ll find in the university include;
- BSc Agricultural Engineering
- BSc Civil Engineering
- BSc Geomatic Engineering (Geodetic Engineering)
- Mechanical Engineering
- BSc Materials Engineering
- BSc Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- BSc Petroleum Engineering
- BSc Aerospace Engineering
- BSc Computer Engineering
- BSc Chemical Engineering
- BSc Telecommunication Engineering
- BSc Geological Engineering
- BSc Computer Science
- BSc. Industrial Engineering
- BSc. Marine Engineering
- BSc Architecture
- BA Integrated Rural Art and Industry
- BSc Construction Technology & Management (Building Technology)
- BSc Quantity Surveying & Construction Economics (Building Technology)
- BFA Painting and Sculpture
- BSc Real Estate
- BSc Development Planning
- BSc Food Science and Technology
- BSc Biological Sciences
- BSc Mathematics
- BSc Chemistry
Knust post graduate programs;
- MSc. Development Management
- MPhil/MA. Political Studies
- MSc. Petroleum Geophysics
- MSc. Applied Statistics
- Master of Education Degree (MEd)
- MSc. Economics
- MPhil/MSc. Forensic Science
- MPhil. Meteorology and Climate Science
- MPhil. Solid State Physics
- MSc. Project Management
- MPhil. Materials Science
- MSc. Accounting
The University of Cape Coast (UCC) is a public university located in Cape Coast, Ghana. This prestigious university was established in 1962 due to the high demand for higher education in the country. Since then, it has continued to provide quality education to Ghanaian students. It started by training graduate teachers who would then work as teachers in teachers training colleges and technical institutions. From then the university has grown into a fully functioning university with the ability to train professionals in many more areas.
It is ranked among the best universities in Ghana due to its track record in research and training. It has a population of more than 5, 000 students in their regular programs.
The university provides the following post and undergraduate programs;
- Dip. - Diploma in Basic Education
- Dip. - Diploma in Commerce
- Dip. - Diploma in Management Studies
- B.Com - Bachelor of Commerce (2YR)
- B.Com - Finance
- B.Com - Management
- B.Com - Procurement and Supply Chain Management Development
- B.Sc - Bachelor of Science (2YR Marketing)
- B.Sc - Biochemistry
- B.Sc - Computer Science
- B.Sc - Doctor of Optometry (OD)
- B.Sc - Engineering Physics
- B.Sc - Engineering Physics
- M.Phil - Mathematics Education
- M.Phil - Mechanization
- M.Phil - Music Education
- M.Phil - Music Theory and Composition
- M.Phil - Physical Education
- M.Phil - Post – Harvest Technology
- M.Phil - Religion and Human Values
- M.Phil - Science Education
- Ph.D - Development Studies
- Ph.D - Economics
- Ph.D - English Language (Ph.D)
- Ph.D - English Literature
- Ph.D - Entomology
- Ph.D - Health Promotion
- Ph.D - Hospitality Management
- Ph.D - Integrated Coastal Zone Management
University Of Education, Winneba (UEW), is an institution for higher learning established back in 1992. It is located in Winneba, the central region of Ghana. Winneba is a town located in the central region of south Ghana. It has a population of about 55,331 people.
It started as a university college with 481. In 2004 the University of Education College was awarded full university status thus changing its name to University of Education. Now the university has a population of over 30,000 students enrolled in different programs.
The university was charged with the mandate of producing professional educators by offering teacher education to its students. It is surely among the best universities in offering teacher education.
The University of Winneba has 4 campuses in Winneba, Kumasi, Mampong and Ajumako. It offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programs to its students. The university offers the following programs;
- B. A. (History Education)
- B. A. (Music Education)
- B. A. (Political Science Education)
- B. Sc. (Biology Education)
- B. A. (Social Studies Education)
- B. Sc. (Business Administration) Option: Accounting
- B. Sc. (Business Administration) Option: Banking and Finance
- B. B. A. Human Resources
- B. B. A. Marketing
- B. Ed Early Childhood Education
- B. Ed. (Special Education)
- B. Ed. (Basic Education)
- B. B. B. A. (Banking and Finance)
- B. Sc. (Business Administration) Option: Business Information System
- Ed. (Early Childhood Education)
- B. Sc. (Agriculture Education)
- B. Sc. (Accounting Education)
More of their programs and application procedure can be found on the UEW website.
UEW contact information;
Ajumako telephone: 03321 93774
Winneba telephone: 03323 22139
Kumasi telephone: 03220 50331
Mampong telephone: 03222 22232
5. GIMPA KNUST
Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA), is a public university located in Greenhill, Accra. It is best known for its commitment in research in business and management programs.
The university was established in 1961 by the Government of Ghana as the Institute for Public Administration where it trained students at the time in the fields of management and public administration for local and regional services in the country.
Today the institution offers programs in leadership, business administration & management, and information technology to handle both the private and public sectors in Ghana.
GIMPA is made up of four schools;
- GIMPA Business School
- School of public service and governance
- Faculty of law
- School of technology
Here are some of the courses you’ll find at GIMPA;
- Bachelor of Public Administration
- Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor of Marketing Bachelor of Finance
- Bachelor of Entrepreneurship
- Bachelor of Human Resource Management
- BSc in Computer Science (BSc CS)
- Bachelor, Operation and Supply Chain Management
- Bachelor, Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Bachelor, Procurement Management
- Bachelor, Project Management
- BSc in Management Information Systems
- BSc in Information and Communication Technology (BSc ICT)
Their contact information;
Telephone: +233-302-401681-3 / +233-302-404664
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Development Studies (UDS) is located in Tamale, Ghana. Tamale is the third most populous town in Ghana with a population of about 2,230,252. It was established in 1992 and studies started with 40 students, who were enrolled in the department of agriculture. Now the university has 9 faculties each with its own departments.
- BA Environment and Resources Management
- BA Economics
- BA Development Communication
- BA (Integrated Community Development (ICD))
- BSc (Planning)
- BA Social and Development Administration.
- BSc (Development Management)
- BA Entrepreneurship
- BSc (Real Estate)
- BSc (Land Management)
- M.Sc. in Accounting
- MA in Management Studies
- MA in Leadership and Development
- M.Sc. in Strategic Planning and Management
- M.A. in Non-Governmental Organization Management and Rural Development
- MA in Business Planning and Microfinance Management
- M.Phil.in Development Studies
- M.A. in Development Education
- MA in Peace and Development Studies
- M.Sc. in Development Management
Telephone: +233-3720-22078, 26633, 26634
Email address: email@example.com
University of Mines and Technology (UMAT) is located at Tarkwa in the western region of Ghana. The university began in November 1952 as Tarkwa Technical Institute (TTI). The institute was redefined by the Ghana Chamber of mines in 1961 to incorporatd training programs with the aim of producing mining technicians for the country. This led to the institute to change its name to Tarkwa School of Mines (TSM). TSM was affiliated as a faculty of Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), this enabled it to offer certificate degree and certificate programs in mining and other related fields.
On 3rd Nov. 2004 through an act of parliament, the University of Mines and Technology was born.
The university is dedicated to providing higher education in the field of petroleum, mining, technology and related disciplines.
The university offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programs to its students. Some of the undergraduate programs offered include;
- Bsc Geomagnetic Engineering
- BSc Geological Engineering
- Bsc mining engineering
- Bsc petroleum engineering
- BSc computer science and engineering
- Bsc renewable energy engineering among others.
For more information about the university courses, application and more, visit the UMAT website.
UMAT contact number: 233 312320323/ 233 3123 20935.
READ ALSO: List of tertiary institutions in Ghana 2018
The University of Energy and Natural Resources (UENR), was established in December 2011 through an act of parliament. The university has 3 campuses located in Nsoatre, Dormaa Ahenkro and Sunyani. The Main administration and the universities library are located in Sunyani campus. Sunyani campus is also the home of the school of sciences, school of natural resources and school of graduate studies.
The following are some of the courses offered at UENR;
- Sc. Chemistry
- BSc. Biological Science
- BSc. Computer Science
- BSc. Medical Biodiagnostic Science
- BSc. Information Technology
- BSc. Mathematics
- BSc. Actuarial Science
- BSc. Statistics
- Diploma in Computer Science
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Diploma in Statistics
- Diploma in Insurance
- BSc. Biological Science
University of Professional Studies is a public university which was founded in 1965 as a private business education tuition. It was later taken over by the government and by 1999 the institution was offering professional training in fields of accountancy management and related areas.
In 2005 the institution introduced bachelor programs for its students and in 2008 the institution received a presidential charter and acquired the status of a fully-fledged university.
Currently the university offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programs to its students. The following is a list of the courses offered at UPSA;
- Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations Management
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business Economics
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Finance
- Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Real Estate Management and Finance
- Bachelor of Science in Banking and Finance
- Bachelor of Science in Marketing
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Management
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
Click here for more information from the university website.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Telephone: +233 302 500 722 / +233 302 500 723
READ ALSO: Professional catering schools in Ghana
University of Health and Allied Sciences (UHAS) was established in 2011.
Its indeed one of the youngest universities in Ghana located at Ho in the Volta region of Ghana. The university is committed to research teaching and offering quality education in health sciences.
The university has two campuses. Ho campus, which is the main campus and Hohoe , where school of public health is situated. The university has eight schools offering the following courses;
- Master of Dentistry (MDent.)
- MDent Community Dentistry
- MDent Oral Surgery
- MDent Oral Pathology
- MDent Restorative Dentistry
- Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm)
- M.Pharm Industrial Pharmacy
- M.Pharm Quality control and quality assurance
- M.Pharm Medicinal Chemistry
- Master of Science in Tropical Diseases Control (MSc TDC)
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Undergraduate programs
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Sciences (BMLS)
- BMLS Haematology and Blood Transfusion
- BMLS Parasitology and Medical Entomology
Telephone: +(233) 245-125-359.
11. Koforidua Technical University
Koforidua University is a technical university in Ghana that was established in 1997 with the aim of producing high level skilled man power for the nation. Koforidua University is located in Koforidua, Eastern Region, Ghana.
The university currently has the following courses;
- Bachelor of Technology in Accounting
- Bachelor of Technology in Procurement and Supply Chain Management
- Bachelor of Technology in Automotive Engineering
- Bachelor of Secretaryship and Management Studies
- Bachelor of Technology in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Marketing
- Bachelor of Technology in Renewable Energy Systems Engineering
We can’t overlook the benefits of higher education offered by public universities in Ghana. Education helps one change their perspective and have a better view of life. Let’s always remember
an investment in knowledge pays the best interest - Benjamin Franklin.