- Real name: Kofi Adu
- Other name: Agya Koo
- Date of birth: May 25, 1969
- Zodiac sign: Gemini
- Birthplace: Kumasi, Ghana
- Occupation(s): Actor, Comedian
Who is Agya Koo?
Agya Koo, whose real name is Kofi Adu, is one of the most popular and talented actors and comedians in Ghana. He boasts an impressive filmography of more than 200 Ghanaian movies, featuring prominent roles in acclaimed titles like Obaatampa, Away Bus, Black Star, and Ma Tricki Wo.
He has also won several awards, including a National Award by former President John Agyekum Kufuor in 2008. Through his impeccable performances, Kofi Adu has solidified his place as one of the most influential figures in Ghanaian entertainment.
Early life and background
- Agya Koo, born on May 25, 1969, hails from the Ashanti Region of Ghana.
- He spent his childhood in a suburb of Accra Newtown called Asantewaa.
- He worked as a cobbler before he discovered his passion for acting and comedy.
- He moved to Accra with the dream of becoming a singer, but fate had other plans for him.
Career and success
- Agya Koo started his career as a comedian on the Key Soap Concert Party show on GTV.
- He soon ventured into the film industry in 1999, with his debut movie Kumasi Yonko. He quickly rose to fame and became one of the most sought-after actors in Ghana.
- Agya Koo is known for his versatility and improvisation skills. He can play any role given to him, from a poor villager to a rich businessman, from a serious policeman to a funny thief.
- Agya Koo has been featured in many movies with other famous actors and actresses, such as Aboagye Brenya, Lil Win, Kwaku Manu, Mercy Aseidu, Nana Ama McBrown, and many more.
- His contributions to the Ghanaian movie industry have been immense, as he played a pivotal role in popularizing local-language movies, especially Akan-language films.
Top 20 Best Agya Koo movies
- Kumasi Yonko
- Ka wonan toso
- Gyina Pintin
- Bone So Akatua
- Black Star
- Ma Tricki Wo
- Agya Koo Trotro Driver
- Joni Waka - Paa Nii
- Nsem Pii
- Sure Banker
- Agya Koo Mechanic
- Aburokyire Abrabo
- Agya Koo Bank Manager
- Asem Aba Fie
- Away Bus (2019) - Moses
- Kankan Nyame
- Onyame Asem
- Nnipa Sei Nnipa
Agya Koo is a married man and a father of three children.
He was previously married to Victoria Owusu Adomako, but they divorced in 2012 after he accused her of stealing his car and giving it to her boyfriend.
He later remarried Rita Asiedu in London, UK, in 2016, after dating for four years.
He received the National Award from former President John Agyekum Kufuor in 2008 for his contribution to the entertainment industry. The award is given to those who have made significant contributions to society. Adu is one of the key figures who have shaped the Ghanaian acting industry.
There were rumours about his death spreading everywhere. Agya Koo received over 120 calls a day during that time. Agya Koo didn't address the rumours directly but admitted he went to Spain to escape the online buzz they created.
Agya gets over 50 calls from women daily, despite being married, which is quite bizarre. But he told his wife about the calls, and she understood. The comedian has also learned how to handle the situation.